INVICTA SWISS MADE = BULLSHIT

Re: INVICTA SWISS MADE = BULLSHIT

Postby ChronoMATT » December 1st 2012, 10:35am

Back in the day when arguing against Jaw's and other WGs Zombie's (hello, Flybait) fervent claims that "Swiss" labeled on an Invicta dial was equivalent to what we understand as "Swiss Made", I looked up and posted US Import Laws regarding watch labeling directly from the government's website.

Unlike Swiss Fed rules regarding "Swiss" labeling, US Import Laws require only the movement to be Swiss made. As for "Swiss Made", the watch needs to have a Swiss made movement and be assembled, inspected, etc. in the land of cheese. If these requirements are not met with factory documentation, the import gets rejected.

So, Invicta's "watch federation" is not the Swiss Fed, it's the US Government and its import laws' minimal requirements. As for Invicta's "Swiss Made" watches, it's hard for me to believe they are getting any true quality out of Swiss watchmakers when they are mass producing thousands of "Swiss Made" Venoms and selling then at Costco for $179.00. Will we soon see stories of Chinese children sold into slave labor and housed in a lean-to production barn 50 miles south of Geneve?

I reflect in disgust at Eyal's reaction back in the day when Jaws would flatly state on TV Invicta's "Swiss" labeled watches were in fact "Swiss Made". The CEO would sit there in silence with that near Joker smile plastered in his mug, allowing Jimbo to either blab in ignorance or flatly lie for him.

Despite disliking his watches with a passion, I have to give Croton's MermalMeister props. He has admitted several times on-air in the past that "Swiss" hallmarked on his dials is not equivalent to "Swiss Made".
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » December 1st 2012, 10:59am

In retrospect,
We should update the title of this thread to..
Re: "ANYTHING" SWISS MADE = BULLSHIT
The "Swiss Made" label has become a joke after all, always thought that allowing a manufacturer to outsource parts/labor in another country, amounting to 49% of the final product and calling it "Swiss Made", is not only ridiculous but bullshit too, legal or not.
This loophole is directly responsable for the ever increasing Invicta (and Invicta like) brands out there , designed to cut cost for Swiss manufacturers, it has backfire big time, Lalo (and lots of other manufacturers) will continue to take advantage...and I don't blame them, making money is what is all about.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby jaw » December 1st 2012, 11:28am

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby elau » December 1st 2012, 12:47pm

eddiea wrote:In retrospect,
We should update the title of this thread to..
Re: "ANYTHING" SWISS MADE = BULLSHIT
The "Swiss Made" label has become a joke after all, always thought that allowing a manufacturer to outsource parts/labor in another country, amounting to 49% of the final product and calling it "Swiss Made", is not only ridiculous but bullshit too, legal or not.
This loophole is directly responsable for the ever increasing Invicta (and Invicta like) brands out there , designed to cut cost for Swiss manufacturers, it has backfire big time, Lalo (and lots of other manufacturers) will continue to take advantage...and I don't blame them, making money is what is all about.

That brings up one genuine question. What about the ultra high end brands such as Patek, Vacheron Constantine, AP, FP Journe and the like? Do they outsource part of their movements, or material of their movements??
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 1st 2012, 3:13pm

I guess I'm in the minority. I always equated "Swiss" on a watch face to signify "Swiss parts," while "Swiss Made" was the ol' 51 percent thing. WTF.

The problem is that every country under the sun has been allowed to play ducks and drakes with these terms for like two decades, with scant enforcement and/or penalties for those proven to be, well, rip-offs in terms of the terms (hoo, boy).

So, about four years ago, I made a rule of thumb: I go to the FH's website and gaze to see whether a company is a member, then work from there. I'm serious. At least that way, I can guarantee that I'm at least touching the hem of the type of quality I strive for, regardless of the price point.

That, and I never listen to what some otherwise unemployable bum on TV tells me, that's for sure.

And boscoe, I remember the challenge to Mr. LaDingo, with nary a peep from their end. But then again, we're the people that ex-con TV hucksters refer to as "bad customers": Those "unreasonable" types who ask questions and want proof of things. Pains in the ass, that's what we are.

But then again, we've had a tiny hand in unseating two talking heads already, so we must be doin' somethin' right, eh, Pasty Cakes?
“Bob says hello," he told the stars. The Argo II sailed into the night.” ― Rick Riordan, The House Of Hades
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby LIES ALL LIES!!! » April 23rd 2014, 11:19pm

TemerityB wrote:I guess I'm in the minority. I always equated "Swiss" on a watch face to signify "Swiss parts," while "Swiss Made" was the ol' 51 percent thing. WTF.

The problem is that every country under the sun has been allowed to play ducks and drakes with these terms for like two decades, with scant enforcement and/or penalties for those proven to be, well, rip-offs in terms of the terms (hoo, boy).

So did I, but Jim, Eyal, Mongo, and the whole crew used to say "Invicta uses "SWISS" on the dial for visual queue purposes, it is a true all Swiss Made timepiece."

My fault for believing the BS from the little man in the box telling me it was so.
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » April 24th 2014, 10:14am

Swiss, and Swiss Made, are synonymous. Swiss Movement, (no abbreviations) indicates the use of a movement that meets the required elements to be called Swiss. These marks must be at 6 and are the only 3 authorized by the FH.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » March 15th 2019, 8:53am

has anything changed over the years?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder