Buying a Suit in The Age of Technology

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Buying a Suit in The Age of Technology

Postby tiktok » May 16th 2019, 5:36pm

On my jaunts down Madison Avenue I see the last vestiges of bespoke product lines. Now everything can be done online or made to measure. I found out, was commanded, to tie the knot asap and the astrologer said May 31, 6 pm. We are having a very private wedding in Fort Tryon Park in north Manhattan in a beautiful garden overlooking the East River.

So I needed a new suit fast, don't feel like wearing my one navy blue reserved for trade shows and doing business with flashy dudes from the Emirates, or the black one for funerals.

There are a lot of made to measure suits for under $600. Indochine, Oliver Wicks and Black Lapel all make a bespoke suit in 4-6 weeks, you just have to do all the measurements and know what you want in terms of lapel, buttons, narrowness of pant leg. Today the perfect urban male is rail thin and suits are definitely snug fit, very anorexic Eurotrash look.

I'm working with 3 weeks notice which got me in the door of Suitsupply. They have a good range of standard suit styles made with real Italian Super 130s. Their mass buying prowess gets you in fabric that was easily north of $1K five years ago. You should find something close to your size, my 46R jacket was perfect down to the bottom length. The pants will need serious alteration which does cost VS the mens made to measure vendors, but my suit will be fully done by next Monday, and I paid for the suit, dark gray, this Tuesday.

If I'd had more time I would have gone with IndoChino mostly because they have a brick and mortar to help one through the selection process. Will post pics and will not be insulted if you cowboys tell me I look like Wagner on 'roids.

More important than writing my vows is what watch to wear. I'm going with my IWC gray dial Spitfire with a Horween #8 strap (matches my burgundy pocket square) with dark gray stitching from Da Luca straps, as they too had instant turnaround time. It
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Buying a Suit in The Age of Technology

Postby Thunder1 » May 16th 2019, 5:57pm

The IWC seems like a good choice for your big date..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » May 16th 2019, 6:42pm

I'm thinking something quietly elegant, discrete, in yellow 18k with a croc strap.
Softly, softly catchee monkey.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » May 16th 2019, 6:44pm

ewe Shud ware a DeeCEE comix invicter With Stain betosh Lee on it GODAM it.

kongrates On the pending Nuptuals!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 16th 2019, 6:49pm

I appreciate the thought, sir, classic gold is dead to rights but this is a very informal wedding, I'm wearing boat shoes fer chrissakes. Also, the rings despite Bedlam's pov are rose gold and my only rose gold watch was a gift from wife the first, lol.

Thanks, John. We are doing super compressed Portugal honeymoon.

We are accepting gifts in the form of Credor Nodes or Urushi dial Brightz. This would be perfect.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else