Screen door up and attacked my Orient GMT!

Screen door up and attacked my Orient GMT!

Postby Lost » April 11th 2019, 7:00pm

So damn bummed. Just noticed before going to bed that my watch took a hit. Worn it every day for 2.5 years. Pulled the stem (or snapped the sumbitch) right out of the watch. Went outside and actually found it, but not before someone stepped on it. Picture says it all.
Anyway, I used you all to pick out the watch, now need your advice on fixing it.
Take it to the local watch repair joint in Syracuse?
See if Orient USA would fix it?

I bought a Samsung S3 a while ago, and quickly got tired of it. Now it’s on the charger. I am gonna miss my buddy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lost
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Screen door up and attacked my Orient GMT!

Postby artman » April 11th 2019, 7:12pm

That really sucks to happen to such a nice watch. I haven't a clue how to get that fixed, but hopefully the others chime in soon. Good luck man.
artman
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » April 11th 2019, 7:43pm

I'd get hold of Orient USA and at least ask about repair. Worst case is probably a movement replacement, and it's a beautiful watch.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » April 11th 2019, 8:17pm

Maybe just needs a new stem. I'd try a local watchmaker first. That said, I had a very reasonable quote some years ago from Orient USA.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » April 11th 2019, 10:04pm

That looks like it needs a new crown and stem, as the stem seat inside the crown is bent.
If you know the watch's calibre, a new stem and crown would be easy to get.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 11th 2019, 10:22pm

Don't worry about it, Mr. Lost. All is not lost(!). Check with the local watch guy first; OUSA are a bunch of clowns. If he can't handle it, tighten up your butt cheeks and send it to OUSA, and they should get it sorted without further fucking it up.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » April 12th 2019, 5:21am

A relatively easy and inexpensive fix. If your local boy can't source Orient parts there are plenty of non-OEM crowns, stems and tubes available in all sizes. Otto Frei is a good source.
Softly, softly catchee monkey.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 12th 2019, 9:34am

Yeah, I'd think you can fix that - and I'd be upset if you didn't at least try. From your writing, I can tell that particular watch means a lot to you. Don't even think about NOT fixing it. I'd think a watchmaker could repair it and not for a king's ransom.
“Bob says hello," he told the stars. The Argo II sailed into the night.” ― Rick Riordan, The House Of Hades
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Lost » April 12th 2019, 2:21pm

Just got an email back from Orient America. They guessed 65 bucks plus shipping both ways. Have yet to call the local jewelry joint, but for that money might just let the people who have seen it before do it. If I knew I could get the exact part from a reliable vendor, I would take a shot at myself. I do stuff like electronics repair (even surface mount stuff) once in a while, but I do know I could woof it even more also. I do have a basic watch repair kit with the vice system etc.

it settles on about -5 seconds a day. Would/could/should I ask ‘em to bump the regulator thingy up a scosch?

Thanks folks.

EDIT: Just talked to the local guys, who ship it out (they sort of intimated New York City somewhere). I dunno, maybe just let them do it.... They take care of all the shipping etc.
Lost
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 12th 2019, 2:44pm

-5 secs a day is a great rate. If you ask them to adjust it it might comback at + 7 secs a day. I doubt that they'll fidddle with it until it's a certain rate. Right now it's well within spec so I'd let it go. Hell, if you set it a minute fast you can wear it for 24 days and still be within a minute of NIST time.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 12th 2019, 3:05pm

foghorn wrote:-5 secs a day is a great rate. If you ask them to adjust it it might comback at + 7 secs a day. I doubt that they'll fidddle with it until it's a certain rate. Right now it's well within spec so I'd let it go. Hell, if you set it a minute fast you can wear it for 24 days and still be within a minute of NIST time.

I agree with the Rewstar--mark this day on your calendars!!--on this one. I wouldn't fuck with it, either.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 13th 2019, 8:25am

For $65 I would send it to Orient and let them fix it. Have sent one to Orient-Japan and was fixed perfectly.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk