Two tyme knobs

Two tyme knobs

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 9th 2019, 9:53am

It happened. I, Mr.Bloke, have bought a contemporary thing. Of course, I couldn't go for anything that doesn't have any vintage looks to it, so...

Well, there it is - a watch that probably nobody dislikes, a universal forum darling, and made by one of the few microbrands I respect - Dan Henry 1970:

Obviously, it's the 40mm version. Bought it pre-owned, from a good friend of mine, who at present is addicted to his 1980s Speedmaster (which he bought after a thorough authenticity check by me). He wore the watch just a few times, so it's in a NOFS (Not One Fucking Scratch) condition.

Want me to go technical? Alright. Inside ticks the microbrands' all-time favourite, the Seiko NH35, which is simply the 4R35 without the Seiko name on it. Boring? Maybe. With a date quickset, it's not a pain in the arse, and generally it's a pretty solid little thing. With its frequency of 21600 A/h, the motion of the seconds hand works nicely with the vintage looks of the whole thing. Dunno if a smoother motion would give me less of a hard-on than this watch gives me as it is, but believe me when I say that I'm glad that my jeans have a decent zipper. OK, a wank to the movement - done.

Then there's the case. There's nothing about it that I could possibly dislike. Not one thing. The lug to lug distance is 46mm or thereabouts, and it fits me just fine. Doesn't feel heavy, but it's not the unsettling sort of light either. The contrast polishing is really decent.
The crown action feels alright. I was slightly worried that the bezel will turn too lightly, but it's just fine.

Last, but not least... How's da loom, you will ask. Well, how is it? Da loom is not bad, doesn't blow chunks, but it's nothing particularly good, either. The markers glow just fine, the lumed minute track does its job, the lume on the hands is a wee bit weak, and the lumed marker on the internal rotating bezel doesn't bloody glow at all. Then again, I wear mostly watches with no lume at all, or with lume that's been dead for decades, so little do I fucking care.

Yeah, well... that's it. For now, I haven't much more to say - it's not been that long since I've put it on the wrist, after all. Mr. Bloke out.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Re: Two tyme knobs

Postby Racer-X » January 9th 2019, 10:11am

Holy crap, so positive! DH is doing a lot right. Congrats.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » January 9th 2019, 10:23am

Purdy, Purdy, Purdy..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » January 9th 2019, 9:50pm

Very cool Mr. Bloke. I've been thinking about picking up a DH too. Thanks for the review.
artman
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » January 9th 2019, 10:00pm

That’s a winner.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 9th 2019, 10:26pm

That's a really good review, Mr. Bloke.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 10th 2019, 10:02pm

Thanks, folks. Always a pleasure to do a write-up for fellow Lords.

Now that I've worn the watch for a while, I have a few more observations about it. Its size and heft don't bother me in the slightest, and I thought they might - after all, after intial enthusiasm comes the nitpicking part. As everyone here knows, my usual kind of watch is something made 60 years ago or thereabouts, measures 32-34mm in diameter (38 tops), is thin compared even to actual Super-Compressor divers, and weighs little. Therefore, in theory it'd take some time to get used to an entirely different thing, but there, it didn't.

The only thing that bothers me ever so slightly is the rough pattern on the underside of the strap loop, but even if for whatever reason I get tired of the rubber "tropic" strap, I can always put the watch on a GHEYTO. Or, for that matter, on anything else. Dunno why would I do that, save just for fun, but at some point I might. Anyway, it's bloody good that DH went for a normal, even lug width of 22mm.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 11th 2019, 11:51am

Nice write up. Damned nice.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Your New Watch