A Christmas lesson for me

A Christmas lesson for me

Postby foghorn » December 26th 2018, 7:54am

Yesterday was spent with family down in RI. My 22 year old,recently engaged grandson was showing me (and every one else) his "best gift ever". His wife to be got him and automatic watch,a deviation from his 5 G-shocks. He was absolutely thrilled and couldn't stop looking at it. It was a Kenneth Cole. What I think many WIS would call a cheap, Chinese movement, poorly made, fashion watch. He was more thrilled by that watch than I've ever been by any of mine by a thousand million times. My wife suggested that I give him one of my "on the block" watches for his upcoming birthday which started me thinking. (never a good thing)
Over the years and on various fora I have read hundreds of threads asking if someone should by a family member, friend, etc. a "nice" watch to get them on the road to collecting good watches and getting away from the stuff they currently own. No shortage of busybody WIS out there.
I decided that I wasn't giving him a watch. He has 5 G-Shocks and likes them all and now he has a good watch,in his opinion, that he loves and it'll always be special. If he wants to end up with better watches (from a WIS POV) he'll figure it out-like most of us old farts did.
Seeing his pride in his automatic watch-everyone saw the movement at least 3 times-made clear to me that there are no bad watches as long as there is somebody that likes them and it's not up to me or any WIS to steer someone in another direction. If that's what they want then they'll figure it out.
And all it took was to see someone as excited about a Kenneth Cole as I might be with an Oris Big Crown Pointer date Bronze with green dial. And even if I were given one,my grandson still might have the better watch.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: A Christmas lesson for me

Postby conjurer » December 26th 2018, 8:04am

That's a beautiful fucking story, foggy.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » December 26th 2018, 8:52am

^ yep, brought tears to my eyes.

Gifting wartches........ every wartch I have gifted tends to becomes their one & done daily watch.
Funny watching how they covet them some BASM's (and Nvicter pro divers before that).

Mrs. Pacerguy is gonna smell like a catcher's mitt after December 25 - TemerityB
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » December 26th 2018, 10:06am

You'll wear down and give the kid a watch.....just watch.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1

Postby TemerityB » December 26th 2018, 10:40am

Wow, man.

Hey - I always wore crap. Never wanted to spend the money on a "good" watch. Then 1994 came along; the soon-to-be missus bought me an "expensive" Seiko Kinetic we saw in a jewelry store window, and slowly but surely, everything changed.

This person just got his first taste of, well, what makes a watch a watch, in a sense. Sure, it's a Kenneth Cole, but it's a start. It's a watch. At least he isn't playing Super Smash Brothers Brothers Ultimate right now (at least I hope).
"A fantastic watch company."
- PhatKat Collections on Stuhrling Original, YouTube
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » December 26th 2018, 11:27am

Cool, very cool.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby mley1 » December 26th 2018, 2:00pm

Nice. Glad your grandson is excited about his new watch. When I was his age, and I'm assuming he's under 30, I considered watches nothing more than a tool to tell time with. That's it. I was never given a watch, until recently. I just purchased what I considered to be decent quality at a fair price. And, they were all Timex's up until I got my first Gshock. Then I wore nothing but Gshock until my wife recently got me the Seiko Samurai for our 36th wedding anniversary.

Then, in the course of researching the Samurai, I found this forum and a couple of others. I can't believe what I've been missing. I could've been enjoying much better watches all these years. Of course, back then through my 20's-30's, I didn't own a computer. Hell, I didn't even have a cell phone till my late 30's. I just never felt it necessary, and in the 80's they weren't readily available. And, now I can't do without either.

I suspect your grandson has discovered a love for watches that will take him on a journey of collecting. His tastes may be different than yours at the moment, but his journey has begun just the same. I suspect he may appreciate advice from time to time on watches from his Grandpa.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Postby JAS1125 » December 26th 2018, 4:40pm

Sign him up here Foggy ..
Get him edumacated early
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » December 26th 2018, 4:53pm

JAS1125 wrote:Sign him up here Foggy ..
Get him edumacated early

Nah-I don't want to ruin it for him. ;)

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby artman » December 26th 2018, 5:01pm

That's a great story Foggy. I still wear my KC often, which I bought several years ago when I got back into this hobby. I bet it won't be his last.
artman
Master of Time

Postby smellody » December 26th 2018, 6:50pm

Nice reflection ya old rooster!
smellody

Postby Ofcmark » December 29th 2018, 9:13am

I acquire watches now from people who buy there watches from Walmart and other places that you get watches for under a $100 bucks. They just don’t want to spend the money to fix their watches. Most time they just need a battery, and I tell them that. I even tell them that the pawn shop in town will do it for $10.00 bucks still they don’t want to fix it so they give it to me. Anyway what I’m getting to is there’s a coffee shop that I go to and the owners son started talking to me about watches. So I started giving copies of the watch magazines that I have already read to him and when I get those watches that were given to me I fix it and give it to him. You think I gave the kid a Rolex it make him very happy so much so he wears short sleeve shirt so he can show off the watch. So I get what you’re saying It’s really not what you spend it’s what makes you happy.
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk