HANDS-ON: The Panerai Submersible

HANDS-ON: The Panerai Submersible

Postby koimaster » December 17th 2018, 9:52am

BMG is short for Bulk Metallic Glass, and it’s what the case is made out of. When I learned this, it took a while to get my head around it. Glass is in the name, but this case is far from fragile. BMG is a glass-like alloy of zirconium, copper, aluminium, titanium and nickel. These components are formed at high pressure and high temperature and then rapidly cooled to prevent crystallisation, meaning that the atoms are randomly aligned, which ensures the material is very strong and durable. What this wizardry/metallurgy means is that Bulk Metallic Glass is lighter than steel, harder, corrosion resistant and antimagnetic. On a purpose-built dive watch of this size, these are pretty great attributes to have.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on ... -pam00692/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: HANDS-ON: The Panerai Submersible

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 17th 2018, 2:06pm

By Jove, when the people at T+T don't wank to Whoblows, they wank to these 47mm Submersibles. A 42mm, in spite of having the same, useless bezel, is somewhat excused - nobody's going to dive with it anyway, but at least it's borderline wearable. Making the Submersible in 47mm is quite the epitome of nonsense.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Officine Panerai