Longines Heritage 1945

Longines Heritage 1945

Postby Racer-X » December 10th 2018, 3:04am

"...First popping up onto Instagram feeds via the live coverage of Baselworld 2017, the Heritage 1945 is based upon a rather rare piece owned by a private collector and loaned to the Longines Museum in the brand’s longtime hometown of Saint-Imier, Switzerland for verification of its authenticity. That nearly forgotten piece served as the template for Longines’s latest vintage-look modern watch.

The historical watch that inspired the Heritage 1945 was dated from, as you probably guessed, 1945. It has a flat bezel, rounded copper-colored dial, blue hands and a small seconds subdial, and is not too far off from vintage Longines “Calatrava” designs popular in the brand’s long history of watchmaking, especially during the 1940s. And now it has been remade as a unique reissue appealing to both vintage collectors and modern aficionados, alike, consistently coming in and out of stock since its release as a fan favorite."

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/vintage-eye-for-the-modern-guy-longines-heritage-1945/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Longines Heritage 1945

Postby Thunder1 » December 10th 2018, 9:44am

An interesting watch, to be sure..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 10th 2018, 11:57am

...and is not too far off from vintage Longines “Calatrava” designs...

There is no such thing as a Longines Calatrava, just as there is no such thing as a Yugo 250 Lusso Berlinetta, a Vauxhall DB5, or a Hyundai Silver Cloud.

As to the watch itself, I've seen it in person, and I was not amused. In fact, it was rather underwhelming. The flank around the dial is tall. Far too tall. The disproportion is considerable enough for one think that the case was intended for a different dial and movement, and if I'd see such a thing in any vintage watch, I'd suspect it's a poorly made frankenwatch.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » December 10th 2018, 12:09pm

Feh
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » December 10th 2018, 12:22pm

Weeny subdial. Wrong movement - a SwatchCo calling card, you see it in Hamiltons and others too.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 10th 2018, 6:21pm

I don't hate it as much as the two previous posts, but I don't have any use for it, either. Swing and a miss.
"This particular blight on the hobby is a desperately lying, valor-stealing, TV watch-hoarding mumpsimus." ― Ancient Samurai Proverb
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » December 11th 2018, 8:01pm

Not sure what you fuckers are looking at, but that's a beautiful-ass watch.
artman
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 11th 2018, 8:28pm

artman wrote:Not sure what you fuckers are looking at, but that's a beautiful-ass watch.

If I had only pics to judge it by, that would be my thought as well. However, as I've said, I've seen it in person. The seconds subdial really is far too small, and far too close to the centre. A smaller diameter of the whole thing - like 36-38mm - would have compensated for that, but since they went for a "fashionable" 40, it is the way it is, and the way it is happens to blow. Well, it couldn't really not blow - what else can one expect from an ETA 2895 in a 40mm case?

Then there's the crystal - they went for a fairly flat one, which requires the dial and the pinions to be positioned much further below the edge of the bezel than if they'd have used a proper "glassbox" high-dome one, or even if they'd have used a domed hesalite crystal. The result is a thick slab of sapphire over a dial, the edge of which sits too far below the edge of the bezel, leaving a nasty faux-rehaut.

In the pics, and perhaps on video, this is a pretty watch. Upon a closer look, its multiple shortcomings become quite obvious.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to The Longines Forum