Comparing Dive Watches

Dedicated to Dive watches

Comparing Dive Watches

Postby koimaster » November 29th 2018, 9:14am

Comparing Dive Watches from Alpina, Davosa, and Hamilton

Alpina’s Seastrong Diver 300, Hamilton’s Khaki Navy Frogman and Davosa’s Apnea Diver Automatic love to dive, but today they’re at a swimming pool. In this comparative review from WatchTime’s March-April 2018 issue, we test these three sporty dive watches to see how they perform swimming laps and jumping from diving boards.

Even a quick glance at Davosa’s unconventional Apnea Diver Automatic, one of the few watches specifically designed for free divers, makes it clear that this extremely athletic pursuit not only demands peak physical performance but also self-confidence and self-reflection.

Like the Apnea, the extroverted 2016 edition of the Khaki Navy Frogman was developed in collaboration with a world-renowned apnea diver. In all other respects, however, the current edition of this Hamilton watch pays homage to the divers’ watch that appeared in the 1951 movie, The Frogmen, and became the first Hamilton watch to grace the silver screen. And last but certainly not least, Alpina’s Seastrong Diver 300 is also influenced by history but is much more understated in its styling. This model is the direct descendant of the Seastrong 10 from the 1960s, which was watertight to 200 meters when it first debuted.

The current Seastrong is watertight to 300 meters, which brings up an “old” debate. The misconception that the phrase “watertight to xxx meters” specifies the depth to which a watch can safely descend is widely circulated and persistent. And since almost no one dives to a depth of 300 meters, a watch that’s labeled “watertight to 30 meters” would seem to be suitable for diving 30 meters below the surface. But this assumption is totally wrong. In some countries, a relevant legal verdict now prohibits watch manufacturers from specifying the depth of water tightness in meters only. The real water tightness depends on the amount of water pressure the watch withstood in a water-tightness test. For the Seastrong 300, this means 30 bar, i.e., the amount of pressure exerted by a 300-meter-tall column of water or at a depth of 300 meters below the surface: hence, the specification in meters.

https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/free- ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Comparing Dive Watches

Postby foghorn » November 29th 2018, 10:05am

Of the 3 I think I prefer the Davosa,but I need to sleep on it.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 29th 2018, 10:13am

All too much moola.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby relaxer7 » November 30th 2018, 7:34am

The crown on the Hammy is far too pissy for me - like the Dav tho.
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 30th 2018, 10:02am

If I had to take one, I'd take the Alpina, which I've seen in real time - as I have the Hamilton, which wears stupidly large.
"A fantastic watch company."
- PhatKat Collections on Stuhrling Original, YouTube
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Dive Watches