Oris Big Crown ProPilot 55th Reno Air Races LE

Oris Big Crown ProPilot 55th Reno Air Races LE

Postby Racer-X » September 6th 2018, 10:42pm

"As a watch manufacturer, Oris has been associated with the world of aviation pretty much since the inception of the brand. The company made its first pilot’s pocket watch in the early 1910s, followed by its first pilot’s wristwatch in 1917 and hasn’t looked back since. It seems fitting then that Oris has been named as the Official Timepiece Sponsor of the 55th edition of the world-famous Reno Air Races. A new partnership, of course, calls for a new watch, and so the brand is introducing the Oris Big Crown ProPilot 55th Reno Air Races Limited Edition. Read on for all the details.

This new limited edition model is based on the popular Oris Big Crown ProPilot Day Date, a model we got hands-on with here. The style is very much that of a functional tool watch. The 45mm multi-piece case in brushed steel comes complete with a coin-edged bezel inspired by a jet-engine turbine and is designed to be easy to read at a glance. The screw-in crown is likewise oversized – hence the name – to make it easy for pilots to grip while wearing gloves."

https://monochrome-watches.com/oris-big-crown-propilot-55th-reno-air-races-limited-edition-price/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Oris Big Crown ProPilot 55th Reno Air Races LE

Postby codguy » September 7th 2018, 4:02am

I like that textile strap, but the actual watch gets a meh.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » September 7th 2018, 9:45am

I like the look of the watch but it's a bit large at 45mm. The Reno Air Races are a lot of fun if you ever get the chance to attend. They start next Wednesday, but I'm not going this year as four of the fastest in the Unlimited gold class will not be racing. Seems prize money hasn't kept pace with the cost to maintain and fly these hot-rodded old warbirds.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 7th 2018, 12:19pm

Too big, too boring.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 8th 2018, 5:58pm

codguy wrote:I like that textile strap, but the actual watch gets a meh.

Yeah, that strap is mint. I bet the watch is a bit spiffier in real time. Oris is one of my favorites, but there are other models I'd gravitate towards.

Oh, and in most cases "limited edition" means an extra 800 bucks for engraving or something. Hasn't prevented other Oris LEs from going grayer than Dick Van Dyke.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Fortis and Oris watches