The Journey Behind The Creation Of My Own Chinese Watch Bran

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

The Journey Behind The Creation Of My Own Chinese Watch Bran

Postby koimaster » August 16th 2018, 4:22pm

Ron is mentioned in the thread at WUS. He should drop by here.

Hello everyone!

I used to post quite frequently in the past on F72, but following a mixup with my credentials I was locked out of my account for a time and became more of WatchUSeek reader than poster. But today, I am back and planning a series of posts about the process of creating a watch brand in China. This is a topic close to my heart and I wish to draw from my personal experience going through this process to present something that I hope you'll all find compelling. Rather than focusing on my watches, the focus of the posts will be on the creative and entrepreneurial journey that underpins the creation of microbrands and my hope is that we can start a lively and enriching discussion around this (and that, too, it can help the ones of you who are contemplating starting your very own venture).

First, some quick background about myself and my interest for Chinese watches. I am from France, have studied in the UK and China and have been watching (terrible pun intended) and collecting Chinese watches since the ripe old age of 14. For the first few years, I grew my knowledge of the field and developed a passion for it. But it was not until 2014 that I can say became a true part of the community. Indeed, as I was studying at Renmin University in the summer of 2014, I chanced upon Ron Good (AlbertaTime) at the Beijing Watch Factory store in Wangfujing as he was on his annual trip to China. Sharing a common interest, we hit it off immediately and Ron was kind enough to spend the days that followed teaching me more about Chinese watches and introducing me to people in the field. That is how I came to meet Li Wei, one of the senior members of the China Horologe Association, who quickly became a mentor and a (very) good friend. A year later, as I came back to Beijing to study at Peking University, Li Wei and I developed a close relationship and he introduced me to a whole world of Chinese watchmaking, Chinese culture and baijiu (rice alcohol that would warm up an Inuit such that they'd think they were in Honolulu)! All these companies whose products I had been craving were suddenly open to me: Seagull, Beijing, Dandong, etc. had no secrets anymore. During that year, I became an official member of the China Horologe Association and learned more about China and Chinese watches than I ever expected.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/journ ... 39765.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Journey Behind The Creation Of My Own Chinese Watch

Postby AlbertaTime » August 17th 2018, 1:13pm

I'm around :-)

I saw your name in the Chat Bawx twice and just missed you!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » August 17th 2018, 3:17pm

AlbertaTime wrote:I'm around :-)

Hey Ron,

I meant your friend. You are always around, taking up all the room on the sofa we have here. :mrgreen:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » August 17th 2018, 8:35pm

koimaster wrote:

Hey Ron,

I meant your friend. You are always around, taking up all the room on the sofa we have here. :mrgreen:

Not only that, but A-T also smokes like a chimney, and refuses to empty his ashtrays!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » August 17th 2018, 8:48pm

koimaster wrote:

Hey Ron,

I will pass on your greeting (actually, just did) and thank you for the kindness of posting to his writing. I've noted before elsewhere here that Robin's a good guy--and so is his friend and designer, Wilfied, who I met this time in Beijing (upcoming post). I wish them the best, and I really like the design.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » August 17th 2018, 8:52pm

conjurer wrote:...refuses to empty his ashtrays!

With kindest regards, you'll have to pin that on someone who smokes Image

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby artman » August 18th 2018, 2:31am

AT, when I start my watch brand I'm calling you first!
artman
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » August 18th 2018, 10:52pm

artman wrote:AT, when I start my watch brand I'm calling you first!

I will help any way I can :-)

But this has been Robin and Wilfried's baby. My involvement, other than introducing Robin to Li Wei and a couple of friends, has been minimal to the point of near non-existence. Nothing that I did should take anything away from their accomplishment.

That said, as a CWOWC committee lead, and as a CHA member--and with my new Guangzhou position, I have many knowledgeable folks I can introduce to help you. Just lemme know when you wanna begin :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Asian and Far East Watches