Zodiac Astrographic

All things Swiss

Zodiac Astrographic

Postby Racer-X » August 12th 2018, 6:57am

"While many brands have bolstered their historical collections in recent times, few if any brands have done so like Zodiac. The Swiss brand, with its Fossil-owned backing and archives of interesting pieces from the mid-20th century, has built its entire modern identity, and most of its collections, upon its vintage heyday. Previously on “Vintage Eye,” we’ve covered two of Zodiac’s most popular historical pieces, the skin-diving Sea Wolf and the deep-sea-diving Super Sea Wolf. This week we turn to a lesser known, yet still strikingly retro watch, the mystery-dial Astrographic."

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/vintage-eye-for-the-modern-guy-zodiac-astrographic/

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Zodiac Astrographic

Postby foghorn » August 12th 2018, 7:15am

Cool watches. I had one and sold it a couple years ago. Like a Damned old FOOL!!!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby monster623az » August 12th 2018, 7:54am

Missed my chance on a few of these years ago, but had I bought them I probably woulda just sold them too.
monster623az
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 12th 2018, 8:05am

Transparent disks with "floating" hands weren't anything new even by the time Zodiac released the original Astrographic. However, Zodiac's take on it was pretty fucking cool.

The integrated bracelet would put me off, but generally... Not bad, not bad at all!
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » August 12th 2018, 8:23am

Interesting watch, for sure..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » August 12th 2018, 8:43am

I had one. It was pretty cool.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » August 12th 2018, 9:24am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Transparent disks with "floating" hands weren't anything new even by the time Zodiac released the original Astrographic. However, Zodiac's take on it was pretty fucking cool.

The integrated bracelet would put me off, but generally... Not bad, not bad at all!

Didn't Longines come out with these first?
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 12th 2018, 11:32am

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Transparent disks with "floating" hands weren't anything new even by the time Zodiac released the original Astrographic. However, Zodiac's take on it was pretty fucking cool.

Didn't Longines come out with these first?

Likely. I've seen it also attributed to LeCoultre, but frankly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about the actual origin of the "mystery dial" concept. Longines was one of the most popular manufacturers of these, along with LeCoultre (well, the vast majority would have been signed only LeCoultre, without the "Jaeger", as mystery dials were mostly made for the US market), Vacheron Constantin, Wittnauer and Louvic.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » August 12th 2018, 6:30pm

I had an SST I gave to a cousin and upon my return to the father's and son's poker game I discovered that he still wears it.

The new version really does the original justice.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Swiss Watches