Casio AE1200WH-1A World Timer, At Less Than $1 Per Time Zone

Casio AE1200WH-1A World Timer, At Less Than $1 Per Time Zone

Postby Racer-X » August 7th 2018, 1:51pm

"One of the things you've gotta talk about when talking about watches, is the cost of getting into the game. A lot of us get interested in watches well in advance of actually being able to afford most of them – I happened to be in graduate school when I got bitten by the watch bug; we'd just had our first kid and we didn't have a proverbial pot to piss in, but what we did have was a computer and internet access, which meant fast and easy access to a whole universe of things both desirable and completely unaffordable.

Though I started out mostly interested in history and the physics of precision timekeeping, it wasn't long before I began hankering for something modern. It's interesting to think about what one's first "good" watch really was, because "good" and "expensive" definitely don't stand in direct relationship to each other, and though the insane spike in prices for both vintage and new watches over the last ten or so years tends to obscure that fact, it doesn't mean that there aren't wonderful watches out there for the asking – some of which you can almost literally acquire with change recovered from in between the sofa cushions. "

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/casio-ae1200wh-1a-world-timer-value-proposition
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Casio AE1200WH-1A World Timer, At Less Than $1 Per Time

Postby TemerityB » August 7th 2018, 2:08pm

Hmmmm. I can't even believe Hoodwinkee got near a watch like this.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » August 7th 2018, 2:27pm

Yeah, normally it’s $2,500 “affordables”.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » August 7th 2018, 3:16pm

$24.95?
Hell, I paid 14 at Amazon.

Nice change of pace for Hoodwinkee
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » August 7th 2018, 8:29pm

I got one of these for one of my booksellers who was moving to London to study there. It's really an astoundingly good watch, and the fact that it costs less than my last gas fill-up makes it even more remarkable.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby monster623az » August 12th 2018, 7:51am

Ive been after one of these forever in SS, theres plenty to choose from under $30 but I just keep being a cheap bastard.
monster623az
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Rusty » Yesterday, 9:34am

Here are comments from an Amazon purchaser that made me chuckle,

"I don't know why all the $15 plastic watches in the world display a second time zone (or as in the case of this one, zillions of them). As if most of us $15-watch-buyers were part of the globe-trotting jet set. If you accidentally press the wrong button in your sleep, suddenly it's showing you Paris or Tokyo time without you knowing, and then you end up late for dinner. Or early. Something.
But I am glad to finally have a 5-alarm Casio again, and my old one didn't have a light. The map doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose — it's just to look cool."
Rusty
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk