The True Story Of "The Radium Girls"

Exposing watch company deceptions or lies go here

The True Story Of "The Radium Girls"

Postby TemerityB » August 6th 2018, 2:57pm

This is absolutely unreal, and it really gives me pause on about four different levels. Must reading, I believe. And it's horrifying - whatever you do, at least scroll through all six pages of this.

This is from a site called ATI:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/radium-girls

In 1917, scores of patriotic young girls counted themselves lucky to have landed war work at a large warehouse complex in Orange, New Jersey.
The pay was fantastic – roughly three times the average working girls’ wage – and the work was light. Literally, the work was light as the main job the young ladies were given was to apply glowing paint to the faces of clocks, instrument gauges, and wristwatches for the United States Radium Company.
Once a thin layer of white paint, impregnated with the newly discovered element radium, was layered onto the dials, their hands naturally glowed and made them easier to read at night or in a dark trench in Flanders.
Without exception, the “radium girls” were told the paint was safe to handle, and so virtually no precautions were taken while they handled and even ingested countless doses of radioactive poison.
"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: The True Story Of "The Radium Girls"

Postby Thunder1 » August 6th 2018, 3:39pm

What a nightmare for these young ladies and their families..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The True Story Of "The Radium Girls"

Postby JAS1125 » August 6th 2018, 3:39pm

Wow..I knew just passing info about this.
Very tragic
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Return to Controversies in the watch world