Rise & Fall Of The ‘Golden Revival’ Period In Watchmaking

Rise & Fall Of The ‘Golden Revival’ Period In Watchmaking

Postby Racer-X » August 5th 2018, 8:21pm

"I’ve come to conclude that the watch industry is currently wrapping up an era that we are now seeing the tail-end of. This period began in the early 1990s and saw a high-point in roughly 2012. For reasons I’ll explain below, I’ve tentatively given this era the name of “Golden Revival” because of the prolific and luxurious nature of many of the products, as well as the fact that it was typified by reviving old ideas in new and freshly consumable forms as new products for today’s consumers and collectors.

The modern Golden Revival kicked off just as the luxury watch industry was recollecting itself as an assortment of big groups and bright ideas as opposed to a legion of once-strong individual brands. The most significant event that led to this era forming was the quartz crisis, which was its strongest in the 1980s. A discussion of the quartz crisis (or “quartz revolution” depending on your perspective) is beyond the scope of this article. Suffice it say that the quartz crisis saw the decline of mechanical wristwatches."

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/golden-revival-period-modern-luxury-watchmaking/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk