The Future of Nomos, Bremont, & Tudor

The Future of Nomos, Bremont, & Tudor

Postby koimaster » August 3rd 2018, 10:38am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI4RJTXr4r4&app=desktop

Published on May 17, 2018

Buying a watch from a new brand carries risks, but are the risks necessarily less for established big brands? We examine the history for big brands versus new start-ups.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Future of Nomos, Bremont, & Tudor

Postby Pubbie » August 3rd 2018, 2:00pm

Same way Lexus will go. Stuffy old Europeans will hate it but they’ll make a go of it in places less riddled with conservatism.

Nomos doesn’t need to sell watches to normals so they’ll be fine. I doubt Tudor sells much outside enthusiasts’ circles either, but they were always present outside of the UK and the US, never went away, so I don’t know why they’re being counted as a new brand here?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 3rd 2018, 4:41pm

Pubbie wrote:Same way Lexus will go. Stuffy old Europeans will hate it but they’ll make a go of it in places less riddled with conservatism.

Nomos doesn’t need to sell watches to normals so they’ll be fine. I doubt Tudor sells much outside enthusiasts’ circles either, but they were always present outside of the UK and the US, never went away, so I don’t know why they’re being counted as a new brand here?

I don't get that, either.

A minor key here is that all three brands are repairable - if the imprints go belly-up, the watches will always run, at the very least.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » August 3rd 2018, 10:29pm

TemerityB wrote:
Pubbie wrote:Same way Lexus will go. Stuffy old Europeans will hate it but they’ll make a go of it in places less riddled with conservatism.

I don't get that, either.

A minor key here is that all three brands are repairable - if the imprints go belly-up, the watches will always run, at the very least.

Yeah, 'in-house' is a special level of hell once the original company is gone.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 4th 2018, 6:10am

A mass-made in-house movement is not that likely to become unrepairable. Small-batch in-house, like, various Dufours and Voutilainens, will become unrepairable at some point alright.

Meanwhile, claiming that generic movements will always be repairable is slightly naive. Parts for a bloody lot of ebauches from the old days are - at this point - obscenely hard to find, and in many cases, they're simply obsolete.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk