A look at a vintage Glycine Airman

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

A look at a vintage Glycine Airman

Postby koimaster » July 31st 2018, 8:50am

Founded in Bienne in 1914 by Eugène Meylan, for a company whose modern history has been closely tied to functional and “tool” watches, it is interesting to note that Glycine’s early commitment was to create the smallest movements possible for women’s watches in gold and platinum cases, often highly jewelled, and to target the luxury market.

The company continued in this way, even presenting an automatic movement in 1931 (although it did not eventuate into long term production because of lack of capital) and launching a chronometer range in 1934, but it wasn’t until 1953 that their iconic model the Airman, was born.

During a Bangkok to Calcutta flight, Samuel W.Glur from Montres Altus S.A. (which merged with Glycine in 1960) somehow got into a dicussion about the usefulness of a 24-hour watch with the pilots operating on that flight. As a result, he wrote a letter to Charles Hertig Sr., then head of Glycine, outlining the criteria for a 24-hour watch that could be useful to pilots. This formed the genesis for the Airman.

It turned out to be a stroke of genius, and the Airman became popular with both military and commercial pilots, worn by so many USAF pilots during the Vietnam War that it was the number one selling pilot’s watch in the US.

https://horologium.com.au/2011/06/27/a- ... ne-airman/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: A look at a vintage Glycine Airman

Postby TemerityB » July 31st 2018, 10:07am

It's a shame, and I know you know what I'm referring to.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » July 31st 2018, 11:01am

TemerityB wrote:It's a shame, and I know you know what I'm referring to.

I hear buyers get a free hand made genuine Panama hat woven from toquilla straw fibers grown in China from genuine Panamanian seeds hybridized and cross pollinated with the founder's great-grandmother's original premium Swiss straw taken to Panama from Equator in great-granny's keister on the boat so as to evade the agriculture inspectors upon arrival in port during the great Ecuador to Panama migrant worker migration of 1880 to build the Panama for half the wages of Ecuadorian labor. When the US took over the construction of the canal in 19-0-something-or-other, great granny reopened her millinery enterprise in the basement of the brothel she operated- legendary for it's rusty trombones, golden showers, tune-in Tokyoing, salad tossing and tea-bagging- weaving the proprietary straw grown in a vacant lot next-door to the boarding house.

Beats a warlet I reckon.

Edit: Rumor has it that great-granny having keistered the seeds she took to Panama is the reason the hats have to be bleached. Couldn't prove it by me.
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 31st 2018, 11:44am, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » July 31st 2018, 11:21am

Don't know (or care ) if these are pre or post. I do know that the logo change happened prior to the takeover.Both are extremely well built and accurate, (ETA movements ) as would be expected from Glycine.

I used to have an Airman 46 a few years ago but it was too bucking fig.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » July 31st 2018, 12:30pm

3Flushes wrote:I hear buyers get a free hand made genuine Panama hat woven from toquilla straw fibers grown in China from genuine Panamanian seeds hybridized and cross pollinated with the founder's great-grandmother's original premium Swiss straw taken to Panama from Equator in great-granny's keister on the boat so as to evade the agriculture inspectors upon arrival in port during the great Ecuador to Panama migrant worker migration of 1880 to build the Panama for half the wages of Ecuadorian labor. When the US took over the construction of the canal in 19-0-something-or-other, great granny reopened her millinery enterprise in the basement of the brothel she operated- legendary for it's rusty trombones, golden showers, tune-in Tokyoing, salad tossing and tea-bagging- weaving the proprietary straw grown in a vacant lot next-door to the boarding house.

Beats a warlet I reckon.

Edit: Rumor has it that great-granny having keistered the seeds she took to Panama is the reason the hats have to be bleached. Couldn't prove it by me.

So good it deserves its own forum. Wow. The best part of it is that it's so subtle that a WIT would read it and not only not understand the satire, but think every fucking word is true.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Vintage Watches