Reviewing the Longines Avigation BigEye

Reviewing the Longines Avigation BigEye

Postby koimaster » July 18th 2018, 10:04am

Why is this chronograph named “BigEye”? You can see the reason staring at you when you look at the dial: a large counter at 3 o’clock on the Longines Avigation BigEye tallies the elapsed minutes. It also helps you time your 5-minute boiled egg for breakfast. But heads up! The long index strokes mark every third minute and not, as is more common, every fifth minute. So when the hand reaches the first stroke, your egg is still almost raw, and when it reaches the second stroke, that same egg is already hard-boiled. The gradual creeping motion of the arrow-shaped elapsed-minute hand is unusual also. You’ll need to look closely if you want to read elapsed intervals precisely, but the scales are neatly printed and easy to read. The subdial at 6 o’clock counts 12 elapsed hours. The hand above this disk also advances continuously over the subdivisions, where Arabic numerals with square dots mark the full hours, and slender white strokes show the half hours.

https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/high- ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Reviewing the Longines Avigation BigEye

Postby conjurer » July 18th 2018, 10:08pm

Ghey.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 19th 2018, 3:06pm

I like it. No date window on a watch which shouldn't have one. Doesn't blow like most of Longines' Heritage releases from the last few years did.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 19th 2018, 7:56pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I like it. No date window on a watch which shouldn't have one. Doesn't blow like most of Longines' Heritage releases from the last few years did.

A date window would have made it marginably less ghey.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 19th 2018, 8:11pm

Nope.

Looks like a cluster fuck.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 20th 2018, 7:49am

Ghey or not, there was no fashion motive behind the Big Eye dial design. Guess it's time for a short history lesson, for those who want it/need it//whatever.

Truth be told, the whole dial layout isn't any modern idea by Longines - the "big eye", i.e. an oversized minutes subdial, was around well before Longines made the watch that this one's a reissue of.

The original "big eye" chronographs were one of the versions of the Type XX and XXI chronographs - made by Breguet, Mathey-Tissot, Dodane, Airain and Auricoste - for the French air force.
The "big eye" thing was a simple means of enhancing the legibility of the minute register, I believe.

The only Longines alteration to an otherwise very Type XX dial is the 12h counter. Well, as seen in the pics later on, it's not even their idea to clutter it with one, Mathey-Tissot did that earlier.

Some original Big Eye chronographs (pics from the Internets):

Breguet:

Mathey-Tissot:

Essentially, all of these can be attributed to Mathey-Tissot, who made them for Breguet, and sold a part of them under their own name. I'm not familiar with the "Big Eye" version being made by Airain, Dodane or Auricoste, so it must have been a Breguet and Mathey-Tissot thing only.

Can't blame Longines for making a reissue of their own version of the Big Eye. The Big Eye seems to be the most coveted version of the Type XX/XXI specification, and is far less common than the versions with a non-lumed, standard size minutes register.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to The Longines Forum