Tritium Watches

All things Swiss

Tritium Watches

Postby koimaster » July 17th 2018, 9:23am

The P67 Auto Pro is a Swiss Made automatic watch that runs on the tried and true ETA 2824-2. The lume is powered by radio-luminescence; tiny glass capsules filled with harmless radioactive gas that glows for at least a dozen years. But, the dial also has Superluminova on it . . . so when the lights go out, the Superluminova shines bright. As the glow fades off over the course of an hour, the tritium shows its power and lasts as long as you need it to; since it is radio-luminescent it never requires charging to continue glowing.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Tritium Watches

Postby foghorn » July 17th 2018, 12:46pm

I have owned 3 tritium watches. I still have 2 of them. (Luminox) This whole tritium tube crap is way over rated. Sure,they don't need to be "charged" but so the fuck what?

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 17th 2018, 5:55pm

I suppose the only advantage of tritium gas tubes is that they eliminate the risk of a bad relume upon servicing.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby monster623az » July 29th 2018, 9:46am

I currently have a Ball, Luminox, and Deep Blue with tubes and a couple cheaper chinese ones. I was never really "impressed" with Luminox I thought they were cool but my main lack of interest was they were quartz mainly. Brightness never really wowed me at all. The Ball is an older model and brightness has diminished considerably. The Deep Blue was the first one that wowed me, with T 100 tubes instead of the regular T 25s that most use, in the lightest shade you could see the tubes glow and at night they are really bright. This one came with blue tubes which I didnt know existed and it was a major plus for me. All can be seen once eyes have adjusted and my main interest became as a night shift worker having something to be able to see on the way to work or when I got off and also for long drives from Texas to the West coast I liked to be able to see my watch in night driving mode. I used to keep my watch on the nightstand as well since I wake up often but I dont really do that anymore.
monster623az
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » July 29th 2018, 10:14am

tritium the life question is pretty easy to answer.

The tubes glow due to tritium gas in the tubes throw off beta particles that hit a lume paint inside the tube. (Don't worry, the beta particles can only penetrate a few millimeters of air let alone a steel case and sapphire crystal)

Tritium has a half life of 12.3 years. So it will throw off 1/2 the beta particles in 12 years and be half as bright. In 24 years it will be 1/4 as bright as new.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Hawk » July 29th 2018, 12:07pm

monster623az wrote:I currently have a Ball, Luminox, and Deep Blue with tubes and a couple cheaper chinese ones. I was never really "impressed" with Luminox I thought they were cool but my main lack of interest was they were quartz mainly. Brightness never really wowed me at all. The Ball is an older model and brightness has diminished considerably. The Deep Blue was the first one that wowed me, with T 100 tubes instead of the regular T 25s that most use, in the lightest shade you could see the tubes glow and at night they are really bright. This one came with blue tubes which I didnt know existed and it was a major plus for me. All can be seen once eyes have adjusted and my main interest became as a night shift worker having something to be able to see on the way to work or when I got off and also for long drives from Texas to the West coast I liked to be able to see my watch in night driving mode. I used to keep my watch on the nightstand as well since I wake up often but I dont really do that anymore.

Trivia of the day: There's not such thing as T-100 or T-25 tubes in watches. The designation applies to the entire watch rather than each tube. If a watch had 14 tubes each tube would be under T-2 or 2 millicuries.

Perhaps more importantly the designations T-100 (properly simply "T") or T-25 are maximum ratings. T-25 or T<25 is intended for regulatory agencies meaning it has less than a total output of 25 millicuries. What this means is that you could get a watch with an output of something feeble like T-8 and it would be in full compliance with both T<25 and T. The consumer has nothing to base a complaint on so word of mouth or direct comparison, while ultimately unsatisfactory, is about all the consumer has to go on.

The Ball Spacemaster X-Lume had "T" on the dial with an actual output when new of around 85. Manufacturers are motivated to allow some margin of error and they are very unlikely, on average, to state what the actual output is. The Spacemaster X-Lume had around 15 millicurie "headroom" and I have no idea how far under 25 the standard Spacemaster is. The X-lume had a total of 80 tubes so average output was right around 1 millicurie. If T-100 tubes were actually used the watch would have been T-8000 which would have earned them the unwanted attention of regulators though practically speaking it would still be perfectly safe.

The standard of T-25 has been around quite some time. Between 25 and 100 requires a little paperwork with DOE which after Ball jumped through the hoops a number of other brands went through the same process. Deep Blue was possibly one of the first and most prominent of those that were able to use tubes totaling between 25 and 100 but were also one of the most ignorant of what they were doing. I "credit" them with confusing legions of people by erroneously referring to their tubes as "T-100" which was raging bullshit but probably inadvertent.

Blue was always available as were other colors. The tendency to use green is that green appears brighter even if other colors have identical absolute output. The human eye is simply more sensitive to colors around 555nm wavelength.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » July 29th 2018, 6:47pm

I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » July 29th 2018, 8:10pm

And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 29th 2018, 8:34pm

Good stuff,Hawk.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 32771 » July 30th 2018, 5:46pm

conjurer wrote:Image

LOL.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » July 30th 2018, 8:34pm

I dunno. I always kinda liked the idea of wearing a Tritium-tubed watch while at the movies. Then, I remembered I have a Timex Indiglo that would do the trick. Then I remembered I never go to the movies.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » July 30th 2018, 9:23pm

TemerityB wrote:I dunno. I always kinda liked the idea of wearing a Tritium-tubed watch while at the movies. Then, I remembered I have a Timex Indiglo that would do the trick. Then I remembered I never go to the movies.

Motherfucking T is back, you stupid bastards, and he's better than fucking ever.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 30th 2018, 9:56pm

Tritium strikes me as the answer to a question nobody asked :scratch:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby bobbee » July 31st 2018, 12:00am

bedlam wrote:Tritium strikes me as the answer to a question nobody asked :scratch:

Unless you wear non-electronic watches when diving! :lol:

"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby monster623az » August 12th 2018, 7:53am

Hawk wrote:
monster623az wrote:I currently have a Ball, Luminox, and Deep Blue with tubes and a couple cheaper chinese ones. I was never really "impressed" with Luminox I thought they were cool but my main lack of interest was they were quartz mainly. Brightness never really wowed me at all. The Ball is an older model and brightness has diminished considerably. The Deep Blue was the first one that wowed me, with T 100 tubes instead of the regular T 25s that most use, in the lightest shade you could see the tubes glow and at night they are really bright. This one came with blue tubes which I didnt know existed and it was a major plus for me. All can be seen once eyes have adjusted and my main interest became as a night shift worker having something to be able to see on the way to work or when I got off and also for long drives from Texas to the West coast I liked to be able to see my watch in night driving mode. I used to keep my watch on the nightstand as well since I wake up often but I dont really do that anymore.

Trivia of the day: There's not such thing as T-100 or T-25 tubes in watches. The designation applies to the entire watch rather than each tube. If a watch had 14 tubes each tube would be under T-2 or 2 millicuries.

Perhaps more importantly the designations T-100 (properly simply "T") or T-25 are maximum ratings. T-25 or T<25 is intended for regulatory agencies meaning it has less than a total output of 25 millicuries. What this means is that you could get a watch with an output of something feeble like T-8 and it would be in full compliance with both T<25 and T. The consumer has nothing to base a complaint on so word of mouth or direct comparison, while ultimately unsatisfactory, is about all the consumer has to go on.

The Ball Spacemaster X-Lume had "T" on the dial with an actual output when new of around 85. Manufacturers are motivated to allow some margin of error and they are very unlikely, on average, to state what the actual output is. The Spacemaster X-Lume had around 15 millicurie "headroom" and I have no idea how far under 25 the standard Spacemaster is. The X-lume had a total of 80 tubes so average output was right around 1 millicurie. If T-100 tubes were actually used the watch would have been T-8000 which would have earned them the unwanted attention of regulators though practically speaking it would still be perfectly safe.

The standard of T-25 has been around quite some time. Between 25 and 100 requires a little paperwork with DOE which after Ball jumped through the hoops a number of other brands went through the same process. Deep Blue was possibly one of the first and most prominent of those that were able to use tubes totaling between 25 and 100 but were also one of the most ignorant of what they were doing. I "credit" them with confusing legions of people by erroneously referring to their tubes as "T-100" which was raging bullshit but probably inadvertent.

Blue was always available as were other colors. The tendency to use green is that green appears brighter even if other colors have identical absolute output. The human eye is simply more sensitive to colors around 555nm wavelength.

So your saying T-100s are the best?
monster623az
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Swiss Watches