Veterans Watchmaker Initiative

Veterans Watchmaker Initiative

Postby koimaster » June 11th 2018, 8:29am

Veterans Watchmaker Initiative: Why I Care & Why You Should Too

The last 45 days have been a whirlwind for me and Janis Trading Company. I was in Atlanta for a get-together on April 28th, visited Hong Kong and toured factories in mainland China the second week of May, and organized the Mid-Atlantic get-together here in the Philadelphia suburbs, which took place on May 20th.

When I wasn’t rubbing elbows with watch-geeks or people sitting next to me on a plane, I tried to make some progress on several new designs and continued work on the new NTH website.

To call our Mid-Atlantic GTG a success would be an understatement. More than fifty watch geeks gathered from as far away as NY and DC to show off collections, talk shop, and revel in all the delights of our shared passion for watch collecting. It’s always energizing to meet other enthusiasts, to see what they like, and to share ideas.

In a break from the usual free-form nature of most meetups, we held an hour-long panel discussion, wherein I was joined by two other microbrand owners, Marvin Menke of Hemel, and Christian Champion of Ocean Crawler, and a master watchmaker (who I’ll get to in a moment).

The panel was moderated by our friend Loren, who blogs under the name “The Time Bum”, with questions asked by attendees and submitted through the Mid-Atlantic GTG group on Facebook.

Watch my blog for some posts informed by that discussion and expanded thoughts on some of the different topics.

For me and my business, the most rewarding moment of the day came by way of Sam Cannan, that master watchmaker mentioned above, the founder and lead instructor of the Veterans Watchmaker Initiative, who wanted to recognize me and Janis Trading Company as a supporter of the school, and an official sponsor of their program.

What is VWI

The Veterans Watchmaker Initiative (VWI) is, in their own words, “...an organization set up to provide training, support, and referral services to the wounded veterans returning from the wars and return their dignity of purpose in a time-honored craft.”

Veterans with service-related disabilities can attend VWI tuition-free. It is a rigorous program, but upon graduation, they will be equipped for long-term, gainful employment in the watch repair industry, an industry whose demand for skilled labor in the U.S. grows every day.

Developed with inspiration from the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking, a non-profit institution that provided training and rehabilitation to disabled World War II veterans, VWI takes the Bulova vision and updates it for the next millennium. Receiving grants and funding from both the public and private sector, VWI is the only technical school devoted to disabled veterans in the United States.

The rest of the story -

http://www.janistrading.com/blog/vetera ... hould-too/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to General Watch talk