AMCHPR China Tour 2018 - Part 2: Apr 11th/12th (b)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AMCHPR China Tour 2018 - Part 2: Apr 11th/12th (b)

Postby AlbertaTime » June 10th 2018, 7:12am

Part 1 ended with me readying for a trip to the head office for Eyki, Jiusko, Kimio and Overfly watch brands.

I was looking forward to meeting another friend from the CWCF 2015, the Business Manager of of the Guangzhou Yonghong Watch Technology Development Co. Ltd and, concurrently, the Chief Supervisor/监事长 of the GZWCA, Lin Huiqiong (seen here as we discuss with Mr. Hui, in the white and black, in her main office.)

Coming up...sixty shots from the showrooms, or about sixty thousand words worth of photos from the Head Office display areas. The photos (apart from showroom wide shots) are Overfly, Eyki, Kimio, and then Jiusko.

After the photo shooting, Mr. Hui and I discussed what I'd seen today, and made plans for the day after tomorrow (I'd be in Shenzhen tomorrow), and then got together for a group shot with other Guangzhou Yonghong staff, before heading out to dinner with PR Officer Lang Liyan, and Business Manager and Chief Supervisor Lin Huiqiong.

I don't know the name of the restaurant, but it was lovely and the food rawked. Anyone who can read Hanzi will know. Feel free to please translate for me :-)

And I'm including this shot because any time I get a nice photo of me with two smart women, I'm running with it :-)

That was the end of watch and clock-related activities for the day, so after saying good night and copious thanks to my friends for the time together, and for the amazing hospitality, I was kindly provided a cab and got back to my B&B at about 10PM.

The thing is: sure, I was tired, some--but way more excited than tired.

My head was just rolling with new information and insights--and tomorrow was gonna be spent meeting up with Brad Green of EastWatchreview, and Ed Tse of HKED watches, in scenic Shenzhen, so I was way too stimulated to go to sleep. Karl was understanding and up for an outing, and offered to guide me to Guangzhou's evidently quite famous "Party Pier", also known as the Zhujiang Party Pier Beer Culture and Art Zone.

That sounded like...perfect. Here's some photos of the Party Pier...not that busy so late (11PM, now) on a Wednesday night, but perfect for a couple of quiet beers and some walking around Guangzhou photo taking...

So after hanging around the Pier grabbing a a couple of slow brews while listening to a few very skilled Chinese pop artists and some acts that covered western tunes, it was time to stroll back to the apartment, but not before visiting the kinda-famous 24 hour 1200 Bookshop, located in the basement floor of a nearby apartment and office complex. (Photos taken at 1:30AM, now April 12th)

The thing is, a man gets hungry so, we strolled home on a route taking us past the late night street vendors, and we got there about 3AM...

...Quite a night, so these last shots are from rest of the walk home.

Next installment: Shenzhen with Ed Tse and Brad Green, and a night at the very entertaining Cruise Inn, a landlocked and repurposed ex-cruise ship, now a high-end hotel at the Minghua Ship Sea World, Shekou, Shenzhen, Guangdong.

After I get back to Guangzhou from my overnight in Shenzhen, Mr. Hui and I are visiting the Shanghai Watch Factory production facilities in Guangzhou, as well as the Rarone Horological Institute watchmaking school attached to the Guangdong Light Industry College, and the production facilities of the Shangzhi Watch Industry Co, Ltd.

And Mr. Hui has a surprise for me, too......and that's all for tonight, folks :-)
Last edited by AlbertaTime on July 8th 2018, 10:50am, edited 3 times in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AMCHPR China Tour 2018 - Part 2: May 11th/12th (b)

Postby conjurer » June 10th 2018, 8:00am

As usual, Mr. A-T provides the Lords with cutting edge travelogues worthy of the late Anthony Bourdain.

These posts make me very happy!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » June 10th 2018, 8:02am

It's almost like being there!
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » June 10th 2018, 10:08am

Epic. So clean.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » June 10th 2018, 3:29pm

I'd rock that Jiusko dragon watch!
artman
Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 10th 2018, 8:12pm

Wow. I am so impressed with the cleanliness of such a large city.

Continue to enjoy your exploits. The green Jiusko is quite nice.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » June 10th 2018, 11:12pm

biglove wrote:Wow. I am so impressed with the cleanliness of such a large city.

It's not like everywhere in every Chinese city is spotless but, very generally, the cities are quite clean and these photos are pretty typical. Refuse containers are everywhere, lots of them, and street cleaners--meaning not just vehicles, but actually folks with big brooms and litter grabbers are commonplace, day and night.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » June 10th 2018, 11:13pm

artman wrote:I'd rock that Jiusko dragon watch!

😀 Ask Moshe. I'm sure he can source it.

Yes. I enable.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » June 10th 2018, 11:22pm

smellody wrote:It's almost like being there!

Thanks, Smells! And thank you *all* for your many kind comments on these "journey" posts 😁

I know I'm very fortunate to be able to have these adventures, and I'm more grateful than I'll ever have enough words, for the friendship and stunning hospitality I get in China--but the responses I get from you folks are hugely rewarding for me, too. I love reading your comments on this stuff.

More coming...

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » June 11th 2018, 2:29am

Great photo-journalism, amazing pics and expressive commentary by someone who is truly enjoying himself.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » June 11th 2018, 3:53am

bobbee wrote:Great photo-journalism, amazing pics and expressive commentary by someone who is truly enjoying himself.

Thanks, bobbee! Really appreciated 😁

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels