AMCHPR China Tour 2018 - Part 1: Apr 10th/11th (a)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AMCHPR China Tour 2018 - Part 1: Apr 10th/11th (a)

Postby AlbertaTime » June 9th 2018, 7:18pm

How to begin?

After 23 hours of travel from wake-up time in Edmonton early the day before, I landed in Guangzhou the evening of April 10th/China time, and took a cab straight from Guangzhou Airport to my home for the next few days, a comfortable 27th floor apartment bedroom with ensuite bathroom, arriving about 9PM .

A friend I'd met at the 2015 China Watch and Clock Fair in Shenzhen in 2015, Mr. Edmond K.Y. Hui (Xu Kaiyuan), the Executive Vice-President of the Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association/GZWCA, had put me in touch with my host for the next few days, Karl Fang. Karl has an AirB&B in Guangzhou's Tianhe district, and it's nicely located and affordable.

Here's the gated entrance to the apartment, followed by a shot of Guangzhou from the apartment, some shots of the place, and a shot of nearby apartments taken shortly after I arrived. I was back in China, and very happy to be starting my adventures in Guangzhou, which is a huge, gorgeous, and very active city. A big change from small-town Peace River.

Karl's young, energetic and great fun to hang with. We got along immediately, and headed out for a few beers at a local pub...very friendly place...

...and then ended up eating some amazing street food at about 3:30AM. I pigged out on a top quality, but an extremely typical street product known as 串儿 or Chuan'er, lamb skewers spiced to the hilt with a cumin mix that promotes extreme drooling for more.

So when the photo below was taken, it was now the 11th, I'd been up about 30 hours...and so please excuse the crappy selfie. We got back to the apartment at about 4:30 and I crashed. I was scheduled to meet Mr. Hui at the GZWCA offices at noon.

Here's me--on time-- outside the GZWCA headquarters on Guangyuan West Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou, May 11th/2018.

And with Mr. Edmond K.Y. Hui (Xu Kaiyuan), the Executive Vice-President of the Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association/GZWCA.

Below, left to right, Lily Young/Lang Liyan, GZWCA member and PR Officer, Mr. Hui/Xu Kaiyuan, me, and Sui Wai Wong, the Deputy Secretary General of the GZWCA.

I'll let these next photos speak for themselves, with the caveat that the photo-fu will need some excusing. Shooting through display cabinets is never that effective, and my intent here--rather than displaying the individual watches--is to show a small selection of the range of brands under the GZWCA umbrella...

So, yes...at this point, I'd only been in China for an overnight and early afternoon, and already my head was spinning with new info. So many brands--and learning, for just one notable example, things like that the very popular fashion brand BOSS has GZWCA member companies building their watches.

While there, my hosts at the GZWCA very kindly gifted the AMCHPR two pocket watches, made by a GZWCA member company under the German-sounding Krohnen & Sohne brand name (although the website states that "nowadays Kronen & Söhne's products are authorized manufacture and sales by Chinese company Trillion Top Company Ltd.").

That brought us to a late lunch at a nearby restaurant...

...followed by a trip to the offices of the Guangzhou Yonghong Watch Technology Development Co. Ltd, home of the Eyki, Jiusko, Kimio and Overfly watch brands.

But that's for the next installment ;-)
Last edited by AlbertaTime on July 8th 2018, 10:50am, edited 4 times in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AMCHPR China Tour 2018 - Part 1: May 10th/11th (a)

Postby Racer-X » June 9th 2018, 7:47pm

Amazing as usual, Ron. That skyline is beautiful and reminds me of shots of Tokyo. Some pretty wild designs on a few of those brands.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » June 9th 2018, 8:27pm

Great first installment. Love the story and pictures.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 9th 2018, 8:33pm

Had wondered if I had missed the photos and stories of this year's trip. Glad to see you putting them up.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » June 10th 2018, 7:54am

Dang. Fuck.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » June 10th 2018, 8:03am

Always enjoy reading your travelogues, thanks for posting.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby codguy » June 10th 2018, 8:59am

Your China travel threads are my favorites here............. thank you Sir.

I truly appreciate the time and effort you put forth in sharing these here for my pleasure.

If they honestly want to further the cause of watches, then they are my brothers. If they are pretentious louts, allow me the first to hammer a Cabriole table leg into their fucking asses. - conjurer
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby spanky1 » June 10th 2018, 9:48am

Fantastic: I enjoyed this immensely. Thanks
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » June 10th 2018, 3:12pm

Looks like another awesome trip AT. Thanks for sharing your experience.
artman
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » June 11th 2018, 2:15am

Amazing thread, loved the cityscape photo, it reminded me of the Bladerunner movie shots!
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels