School Of Watchmaking To Close

School Of Watchmaking To Close

Postby koimaster » June 6th 2018, 8:52pm

The School of Watchmaking at the Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology (OSUIT) will close at the end of 2018, after graduation of the current class. A notice was posted to the school’s website: "OSUIT is phasing out the Watchmaking & Microtechnology program within the School of Engineering Technologies. OSUIT will no longer be accepting applications for or enrolling new students in the Watchmaking & Microtechnology program, and only courses required for current students will be offered."

The OSUIT School of Watchmaking was founded in 1946 and initially focused on education for veterans. As of 2018 the OSUIT School of Watchmaking was one of only a few original programs still in operation at OSUIT. The OSUIT School of Watchmaking was in part funded by the Swiss American Watchmakers Training Alliance (SAWTA). SAWTA is a program created by Rolex to standardize the curricula of watchmaking schools, as well as the testing and certification of watchmaking students in the USA.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/oklah ... g-to-close

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: School Of Watchmaking To Close

Postby conjurer » June 6th 2018, 9:06pm

Great. Now, we're gonna have a bunch of Okies moving out here:

https://northseattle.edu/programs/watch ... -institute
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » June 6th 2018, 9:21pm

conjurer wrote:Great. Now, we're gonna have a bunch of Okies moving out here:

https://northseattle.edu/programs/watch ... -institute

Okies. Like you don't already have enough bums up there!
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » June 6th 2018, 9:21pm

At least okies work!
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » June 6th 2018, 9:25pm

Last month I was up your way looking for some f'ing troll under a bridge. I saw a group (2 boys and girl) of late 20 somethings. They all had dreadlock hair and beards (yes even the chick). They had napsacks and backpacks and were on the freeway on ramp....

I told my family "look three Evergreen graduates with masters in fine and performing arts."
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » June 6th 2018, 9:38pm

smellody wrote:Last month I was up your way looking for some f'ing troll under a bridge. I saw a group (2 boys and girl) of late 20 somethings. They all had dreadlock hair and beards (yes even the chick). They had napsacks and backpacks and were on the freeway on ramp....

I told my family "look three Evergreen graduates with masters in fine and performing arts."

To let our far-flung members in on the joke, Evergreen is a liberal arts college in the Pacific Northwest where they don't actually issue grades. Another joke: An Evergreen student, after the end of the semester, stops his professor on the quad. "Hey, Teach," says the neckbearded, skinny-jeaned hipster, "how did I do this semester?" And the professor says, "dude, you did O-kay!" The last grad of Evergreen State College to make something of his fucking life was Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons, which, all things considered, is somewhat more impressive than my Alma Mater.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » June 6th 2018, 11:10pm

Similar situation in China at Shanghai Industrial Technology School, for example, where the factories are desperately hunting for graduates because the older and experienced watchmakers are retiring, but the students want business degrees, not trades qualifications, so the struggle at SITS is getting enough students interested in the program.

Mr. Hui at the Guangzhou Watch and Clock Association mirrored this as being the case with their very good watchmaking program as well.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 14th 2018, 11:10am

There are only 9schools left in the US and none in Canada.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Rusty » July 14th 2018, 2:49pm

My watchmaker here in Rochester is a OSUIT grad. He is very good as it relates to Swiss watches but he won't touch Asian watches.
Rusty
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk