LIV Watches "Breakthrough"

Watches and such at Kickstarter.

LIV Watches "Breakthrough"

Postby JLC » June 1st 2018, 5:09am

LIV watches just launched their new "Breakthrough" campaign.

"Designing four new revolutionary models does not come easy, to achieve a breakthrough, one must be thoroughly entrenched. For the past 11 months, we have committed our lives to this project. Let's just say sleepless nights were the norm, but the final design is truly phenomenal."

I like the blue/titanium chronos (SW500, elabore).

"Crafted by the finest Swiss watchmakers, this pilot's utility is wrapped in titanium or steel with s ceramic bezel"

LIV Watches Titanium Ceramic Chrono, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... mic-chrono

What do you guys know or think of this micro?

Are they Swiss made or Chinese parts assembled in Switzerland?
JLC

Re: LIV Watches "Breakthrough"

Postby Mark1 » June 1st 2018, 8:31am

Crafted by the finest Swiss watchmakers, and you can get one for under $500. If this were true they wouldn't need kickstarter to raise the money. Marketing is marketing but this smells more like something else.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby JLC » June 1st 2018, 8:50am

I asked the creator about the origin of parts (case, dial, hands, crown, etc) and they replied with:

"All precision components and movements are from Switzerland. The case is made in the Far East, which is standard in the Swiss watch industry."
JLC

Postby bedlam » June 1st 2018, 9:13am

They painted a plane on the dial...

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 1st 2018, 9:17am

knott Enuf tyme Knobs.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby JLC » June 1st 2018, 9:31am

Still, $1k for a "swiss made" titanium chrono isn't a bad deal
JLC

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 1st 2018, 12:28pm

"Standard in the Swiss watch industry." Yeah, right. Some parts, usually spare ones, like bracelet links, pins, screws, spring bars, often are made in Cathay alright, but entire cases? Not often. Maybe in case of the Swissese stuff, but I doubt that any notable brand with a shred of self-respect - and with any respect for its customers - would make entire cases in China without disclosing that.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 1st 2018, 12:36pm

bedlam wrote:They painted a plane on the dial...

Looks applied to me, which only makes it worse. On the bright side, you can play "around the world" with your toy plane after it falls off into the case just by shaking the watch.

I don't cotton to the designs on the line, either; looks like Wing Laing met Barney Fife in the Mt. Pilot He-Men's nightclub; loud colors that looks like they've been applied by a tasteless guy suffering from St. Vitus Dance.

Hey, if it all floats your boat, have at it; in world with Seiko and Marathon in it, I don't remotely see the point of all this, but it's always a matter, as Ed Norton would say, of "cherce."
"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby JLC » June 18th 2018, 9:45am

TemerityB wrote:Hey, if it all floats your boat, have at it; in world with Seiko and Marathon in it, I don't remotely see the point of all this, but it's always a matter, as Ed Norton would say, of "cherce."

The opportunity is mostly that a Marathon mechanical chrono is 2-3X the price
JLC

Return to Kickstarter/Crowd Funding Projects