watches worn by powerful CEOs

watches worn by powerful CEOs

Postby koimaster » May 14th 2018, 8:36pm

For some businessmen, a wristwatch is more than a time-telling device. It's a statement.

"A watch is the greatest icebreaker there is," says Hamilton Powell, the CEO of Crown & Caliber, an online secondary market for luxury watches.

"In an unfamiliar city, I can approach a complete stranger and with two words eradicate any barriers," he tells Business Insider. "Nice watch."

http://www.businessinsider.com/watches- ... eos-2017-3

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

Postby bobbee » May 14th 2018, 9:54pm

They can't watchspot for shit.
Jeffrey Immelt is wearing a Breitling Chronospace M78365, the quartz model in pvd, so why show a picture of an automatic chrono?

Akio Toyoda is not wearing a Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119G. This model has Roman numerals and is steel, Toyoda is wearing a gold watch with Arabic numerals.

Dara Khosrowshahi is said to be wearing a Chopard Mille Miglia 16/8997, a sort of sport style 3 hander, yet the watch he is wearing has chronograph pushers.

There are a couple of others, have fun spotting them...

Just seems like a nice, big advert for Crown & Caliber used watches to me.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » May 15th 2018, 3:13am

koimaster wrote:"In an unfamiliar city, I can approach a complete stranger and with two words eradicate any barriers," he tells Business Insider. "Nice watch."

There's a great story I once read, probably on a BBS, about a guy who tried just that in a lift (ok, elevator) in a midwestern American city somewhere. He said "nice watch - is that a long-font rail-dial flat-O feet-first crown-up six five three eight Subbie-wubbie" or something equally anorak. The wearer announced "I'm not gay" and got off at a floor different to the one he had pushed the button for.

If you live in "luxury watch" world everything revolves around you I guess. Where I was born, sadly, "nice watch" is followed by "giss it now", and a flash of steel.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » May 15th 2018, 3:22am

"Nice watch" followed by "Giss it now."

:lol:
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Rusty » May 15th 2018, 7:09am

While no longer a CEO, a story on another website had Bill Gates wearing a $40 Casio MDV106-1A.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 15th 2018, 7:16am

Rusty wrote:While no longer a CEO, a story on another website had Bill Gates wearing a $40 Casio MDV106-1A.

The watch worn by winners everywhere!!!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby boscoe » May 16th 2018, 8:22am

Kim Jong Un wears a bad-ass Seiko monster!
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » May 16th 2018, 11:45am

In 14 years working for this software company as a consultant, getting a round a lot, I think there was a total of two occasions where anyone ever was interested in my watch. One was a colleague noticing my Speedmaster, mentioning it was the watch of his dreams (he was early in his career and could probably not afford one yet). The other occasion was also a younger colleague, to whom I actually sold a nice Tissot Chronograph out of their 1853 anniversary line. And that is about it. Then in my new job one of my direct reports has a nice golden Datejust. All the rest of watches I have noticed on my colleagues wrists is fashion junk. If they do wear a watch at all.

I do have a close friend who actually is a CEO in a daughter of a major German utilities company. He does own a JLC Reverso. Another friend, being a big animal at Chokolate and sweets producer Fererro doesn't wear a watch either.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 16th 2018, 1:35pm

gerdson wrote:In 14 years working for this software company as a consultant, getting a round a lot, I think there was a total of two occasions where anyone ever was interested in my watch. One was a colleague noticing my Speedmaster, mentioning it was the watch of his dreams (he was early in his career and could probably not afford one yet). The other occasion was also a younger colleague, to whom I actually sold a nice Tissot Chronograph out of their 1853 anniversary line. And that is about it. Then in my new job one of my direct reports has a nice golden Datejust. All the rest of watches I have noticed on my colleagues wrists is fashion junk. If they do wear a watch at all.

I do have a close friend who actually is a CEO in a daughter of a major German utilities company. He does own a JLC Reverso. Another friend, being a big animal at Chokolate and sweets producer Fererro doesn't wear a watch either.

My wife works for a big firm in NYC, with a lot of guys and women who are like killing it financially. All the partners and managers there are like night and day: From Patek to Timex, depends on the person's personal tastes. And I'm happy to report that nobody ever sneers at anyone else for wearing an inexpensive watch - just like it should be.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Pubbie » May 16th 2018, 3:28pm

You ought to get yourself to a place where people judge the holy living fuck outta you, and you don’t even have to get out of bed - it’s called WUS. In fact, reading some comments there, it looks like most of them are still living in their mother’s basement!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 16th 2018, 8:02pm

Pubbie wrote:You ought to get yourself to a place where people judge the holy living fuck outta you, and you don’t even have to get out of bed - it’s called WUS. In fact, reading some comments there, it looks like most of them are still living in their mother’s basement!

That's a big reason why I glance at WUS but hang here.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » May 16th 2018, 8:59pm

Our last CEO was a bipolar fuckwit and wore a Pepsi GMT. Our current CEO, an old friend of mine, wears a Citizen Chrono I helped him pick out. Our ACFO wears a Citizen I gave him.

Most hospital CEOs I have encountered in the last 30 years are fairly reserved in their watch choices. As the years have gone by most MDs I work with have really stopped wearing expensive watches. I see more <$200 watches now than ever in hospital environments.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » May 16th 2018, 10:19pm

Who cares what watch Gordon Gecko wannabees wear?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » May 17th 2018, 2:23am

I have a mild aversion to modern Omegas, seen too many 20-something peacocks flaunting them as they sit behind their laptops and pretend they’re James Bond. But I do like old ‘70s models and used to read the Omega subforum there. Several years ago you’d have found threads about old Geneves, oddity Seamaster chronos, and old gold. But now:

“Can I WANK myself off in front of a mirror wearing the latest internetz Speedy Tuesday whilst browsing Hoodwinkee for validation?”

Anyway. Nicest guy I know wears an Ebel, and very fine it looks too.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk