Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Watches from Other EU countries

Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby koimaster » May 7th 2018, 4:54pm

A little over six months into his role as CEO of Rotary Watches Ltd, Peter McKenna speaks exclusively to WatchPro about the direction he’s taking his brands, why the juice of Baselworld isn’t worth the squeeze anymore, and his emphasis on after sales service.

WatchPro: How have you found the first few months of your new role?

Peter McKenna: Exciting and interesting to say the least. My first task was to get out and listen to our customers, from the largest multiple to the one-store independent. The extraordinary thing was that they were all telling me the same things about Rotary, expressing some frustrations but most of all demonstrating the affection the trade and the public has for the brand.

http://www.watchpro.com/exclusive-rotar ... up-brands/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby conjurer » May 7th 2018, 6:57pm

They used to sell that shit on Urine.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2018, 9:53pm

conjurer wrote:They used to sell that shit on Urine.

Yep. S. Fingers used to bring on that Dreyfuss guy and introduce him like he was Nicolas Hayek. You'd almost expect to see his bobbing head under the desk, it was so over the top. Then, they'd hawk an 89 dollar Chinese auto.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 7th 2018, 10:17pm

TemerityB wrote:

Yep. S. Fingers used to bring on that Dreyfuss guy and introduce him like he was Nicolas Hayek. You'd almost expect to see his bobbing head under the desk, it was so over the top. Then, they'd hawk an 89 dollar Chinese auto.

Indeed. They used to have some stroke named something Lala Dreyfus, who was unendurably Eurotrash, on the "network." I think he might have been a butt-boi of Dim Demple. Interestingly, some of the wartchs weren't totally fucking awful.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » May 8th 2018, 12:27am

Shit, urine? What is this?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » May 8th 2018, 6:31am

I own two Rotary's, both with mechanical ETA movements.........

here be one (terrible pic that doesn't show the nicely blued hands)

If they honestly want to further the cause of watches, then they are my brothers. If they are pretentious louts, allow me the first to hammer a Cabriole table leg into their fucking asses. - conjurer
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » May 8th 2018, 6:40am

codguy wrote:I own two Rotary's, both with mechanical ETA movements.........

Got the gold version myself - ETA/Peseux 7001 hand wind, 2 straps and as Cod said, killer blued hand set. Rotary can make a nice watch when they want to.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 8th 2018, 6:56am

Falstaff wrote:Rotary can make a nice watch when they want to.

That is absolutely true - except, after a couple of years, they seemed to stop wanting to, at least based on the stuff they were pitching on the TeeVee. Most of those decent autos like the ones shown here went away, replaced by, well, a lot of Swiss Legend-style sleight of hand. Now, granted, I'm speaking of the stuff that was offered on late period WOW and Blovine - I know Rotary has made some pretty good watches over the years. And based on the comments on that article, I don't know what to think of them. Granted, Rotary's footprint is in the UK, where they traditionally have sold watches at virtually every price point, from quartz beaters to ETA auto-packed dress watches.

As you can see, they're all over the map.

https://secure.rotarywatches.com/en/the ... ll-watches
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 8th 2018, 8:18am

Pubbie wrote:

Shit, urine? What is this?

I believe ”shit” refers to a lot of contemporary Rotary models, and ”Urine” is Evine, a TV shopping channel selling Invictas and all the other rubbish that you wouldn’t want to spend your hard-earned money on.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 8th 2018, 8:24am

TemerityB wrote: Granted, Rotary's footprint is in the UK, where they traditionally have sold watches at virtually every price point, from quartz beaters to ETA auto-packed dress watches.

Traditionally, i.e. back in the day, they had everything from 7-jewel wonders in plated cases to Aquaplunge divers and solid gold pieces with beyond decent movements. That said, while their contemporary offer is all over the place, it’s mostly boring, or even rubbish in some cases, and generally doesn’t even come close to what Rotary used to be.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 8th 2018, 8:57am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
TemerityB wrote: Granted, Rotary's footprint is in the UK, where they traditionally have sold watches at virtually every price point, from quartz beaters to ETA auto-packed dress watches.

Traditionally, i.e. back in the day, they had everything from 7-jewel wonders in plated cases to Aquaplunge divers and solid gold pieces with beyond decent movements. That said, while their contemporary offer is all over the place, it’s mostly boring, or even rubbish in some cases, and generally doesn’t even come close to what Rotary used to be.

s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » May 8th 2018, 9:01am

Are they branded "Roundabout" in the US??

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » May 8th 2018, 3:32pm

I could be wrong but I always thought that the Rotary watches on ShopNBC were sold through SWI. Under the assumption that they weren't selling their watches themselves on Shop I viewed them in a little higher regard. Some of their watches are okay.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 8th 2018, 3:40pm

Mark1 wrote:I could be wrong but I always thought that the Rotary watches on ShopNBC were sold through SWI. Under the assumption that they weren't selling their watches themselves on Shop I viewed them in a little higher regard. Some of their watches are okay.

They were sold via that route Mark. They also sold some decent watches for the price point which was fair compared to the BS spouted by other brands sold on that site.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » May 8th 2018, 4:10pm

koimaster wrote:
Mark1 wrote:I could be wrong but I always thought that the Rotary watches on ShopNBC were sold through SWI. Under the assumption that they weren't selling their watches themselves on Shop I viewed them in a little higher regard. Some of their watches are okay.

They were sold via that route Mark. They also sold some decent watches for the price point which was fair compared to the BS spouted by other brands sold on that site.

Yup, I stand corrected. Here's a thread from BDWF (now with a new url address!) from 2009 (!):

http://thewatchforum.net/forum/showthre ... ght=rotary

Where I wrote:

I liked the look of the Rotary, and could appreciate the work that went into it--but like the rest of you guys, I didn't like it $500-much.

And I have to agree with CoachH... A big push trying to move what they had... The continued, extended segments with Lior and this fellow Dreyfuss. Although the segment hosted by Charla Rines yesterday morning almost made up for it; between the dapper but unflappable Mr. Dreyfuss, the nearly-squirming Lior, and the screaming, horologically-unfluent Ms. Rines, all added up to one of the most uncomfortable presentations I've yet seen on Shop. Mrs. Conjurer was wincing with pain at the interaction between the abrasive Ms. Rines and the hapless Mr. Dreyfuss, whose body language could have been shouted through a bullhorn; I, being the jerk that I am, merely laughed. It was like watching an extended scene between Mr. Driesdale and Grannie from The Beverly Hillbillies.

I didn't buy the OTV, either. But I enjoyed the comic interlude.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby OTMF » May 8th 2018, 5:03pm

codguy wrote:I own two Rotary's, both with mechanical ETA movements.........

I also had that one, I think it was 38mm but played big on my girlish wrist.
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS

Return to European Watch Making