One For the Ages

This forum is for Horology related reference information

One For the Ages

Postby tiktok » April 22nd 2018, 12:25am

After some oddball scrambling my radar went off and seller (not) sent me this. I had agreed to pay PP fees.

If you think it’s odd...have you taken a look at my buying/selling reputation on WUS? $1550 net means $1550 posted to the PayPal account...I understand what you’re saying but how could I net $1550 if I’m paying for shipping as well as the transfer fee? I’ve paid shipping many times...as well as the fee on various watch deals. You negotiated a deal for receiving the Staib included in the $1550 net price. I’m a US federal law enforcement agent...I’ll be away from home leaving tomorrow for an undetermined period of time...I had to jump through hoops tonight in order to leave the watch with a co worker who will be here and available to ship it on Monday, as I will not. I’m having you PayPal his account so that he can verify the funds and ship. Not to get too in the weeds...but I will not have access to my phone or any other unsecure means of communication for the following 36 hours after I report to work in the morning. Hope that clears a few things up...if not...then I’m not sure what else to tell you.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: One For the Ages

Postby artman » April 22nd 2018, 2:07am

Not sure what going on here Tok.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » April 22nd 2018, 2:56am

Sounds like a misunderstanding, but someone else’s PayPal and all that explaining, no thanks.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » April 22nd 2018, 4:13am

artman wrote:Not sure what going on here Tok.

Some context would be cool- did this guy delay over the fees? Did you put on the brakes with ?'s about the transaction???

Racer-X wrote:Sounds like a misunderstanding, but someone else’s PayPal and all that explaining, no thanks.

Whatever led you to the point you got that BS note, fuck it. Hey, Copper; give me a call when you get off of secret agent / incommunicado status in a whole day-and-a-half and we can take things from there. Just send the money to my bestest friend :roll:
Last edited by 3Flushes on April 22nd 2018, 4:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MAX » April 22nd 2018, 4:15am

Those zany Nigerian Princes and their watch schemes. :roll:
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » April 22nd 2018, 4:22am

I don't get the "net to me " stuff. Just adjust the selling price accordingly.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » April 22nd 2018, 8:48am

foghorn wrote:I don't get the "net to me " stuff. Just adjust the selling price accordingly.

Indeed. Buying a second hand watch from a guy shouldn't be like going into a dealership and buying a new fucking car. The guy wants $1550 at the end of the day, he can get out a fucking calculator and figure the rough cost of shipping, Paypal, etc, and state that price. If shipping costs a few bucks more, then tough titty, he ends up with $1547 net to him.

Also, I don't care about the seller's backstory. That's his problem, his life, not mine. If I'm selling a watch, I'm also selling my reputation, and in 99% of the cases where I sell a watch, it's at the PO within 24 hours of the deal going down, and often on the same day.

Ideally, a sales transaction should go like this:

A. A guy puts up a watch FS, with decent pics, an honest write-up about it, and a fair price.

B. Another guy contacts him, offering to buy at his price (because the price is fair.)

C. The seller agrees, Paypal takes care of the money, and the Federal Law enforcement officer puts his mission to shoot a 5.56mm round through Osama bin Laden's fucking eye on hold and drops the watch off with the Jolly Lesbian.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » April 22nd 2018, 9:33am

Have only purchased one wartch from a private party off the interwebs, and have never sold one.

Perhaps my enjoyment with man jewelry is not up to par with the rest of the membership....... and if I need to do more, I'll simply bail on this wartch thing & throw more money at my other hobbies.

Sorry I do not understand the angst Tok but whatever the problem is, hope you manage to get through it. My thoughts are with you.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » April 22nd 2018, 9:38am

Sounds like a con job. Other paypal account my ass. Ask for his badge number, agency and work number.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby OTMF » April 22nd 2018, 10:05am

MAX wrote:Those zany Nigerian Princes and their watch schemes. :roll:

😂
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » April 22nd 2018, 3:43pm

It went down like this, seller sends me pics of watch on website that seems to be owned by woman and his name in his email is like Joe. Then he tells me that this isn't PayPal address and sends me PP address with a third name on it. First I ask if he intends to pay shipping and insurance and he says no, that doesn't fit into net to him. I've always considered shipping/insurance seller's nut and outside the net to seller. He assumed I was going to pay shipping and insurance but never asked my service preference. Just that he would be at post office first thing Monday to price it out for me. Turns out it comes in ginormous box and he doesn't want to cover that. In such cases and I would have told him this, ship the watch separately insured and send the box ground rate. This guy may be for reAl but tying the deal to another unknown person's PP account is not, not kosher no way.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » April 22nd 2018, 6:11pm

I smell a rat. A big, fat cheese eating rat.

Run, my friend. Run fast. Run far. Don't look back.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to All about Horology