Omega Speedmaster CK 2998 Limited Edition

The forum is for the discussion of all things related to Omega watches.

Omega Speedmaster CK 2998 Limited Edition

Postby Racer-X » April 5th 2018, 10:12pm

by Mark Bernardo "On the heels of its new releases at Baselworld 2018, Omega has announced that it is launching a new version of the historically inspired Speedmaster CK 2998 model that made its original debut in 2016. Based on a model that hit the market in the pre-Moonwatch year of 1959, and featuring a new color scheme and new pulsometer bezel that distinguishes it from its recent predecessor, this year’s version of the CK 2998 is this week’s Watch to Watch."

Article at WatchTime
Last edited by Racer-X on June 6th 2018, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Omega Speedmaster CK 2998 Limited Edition

Postby foghorn » April 6th 2018, 4:37am

Replacing the tachymeter scale with a pulsometer scale on a Speedmaster is like having the Yankees wear plain white uniforms at home.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 6th 2018, 10:20am

foghorn wrote:Replacing the tachymeter scale with a pulsometer scale on a Speedmaster is like having the Yankees wear plain white uniforms at home.

...only the pulsometer bezel was available on Speedmasters, the reference CK 2998 among them. Not sure if it was a stock version, but certainly it was available on request (at least in 1960 and 1961 it was). Pulsometer and telemeter bezels were also used on the 105.012, 145.012, and the 145.022-69. The Mark II also had a pulsometer version available.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » April 6th 2018, 10:26am

And the Yankess don't wear pinstripes for away games. But it's what most fans identify them with.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 7th 2018, 2:13pm

foghorn wrote:And the Yankess don't wear pinstripes for away games. But it's what most fans identify them with.

Since I know nothing about baseball, I can only roughly figure out what does that mean.

I don't think that this watch was really made with "most fans" in mind - it's more of an amalgamation of uncommon Speedmaster models. Pulsometer is one, the "panda" in that form has first appeared on a Japan-only limited edition in the 1990s, the red chrono second hand without the lume plot resembles the orange one found on the 145.012 "Ultraman" (I don't know what pillock invented that nickname, but it must have been the Italian fleecer-dealers or some other Donkeys).

I'd say that I like the fact of the bezel not being a tachymetre one. I mean, they do these LEs every year, and at some point they had to go against the grain a wee bit, otherwise it would become boring.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on April 7th 2018, 5:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 7th 2018, 5:06pm

I could use that one to measure the pulsations in my throbbing boner!!
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Omega Forum