Shout out to Mort-amazing watch find.

Other forum links and links to many blogs and magazines

Shout out to Mort-amazing watch find.

Postby bobbee » March 3rd 2018, 4:21am

This guy got really lucky at the thrift store!

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... C-88-W-800

My Fellow Watch Enthusiast,

Writing this post to share one of the best finds I had this year. I bought a G-1 jacket from a thrift store and it ended being from a decorated USN Pilot who served in WW2 & Vietnam. Best of all, I found his watch (Waltham FSSC 88-W-800) and an Air Base Departures notes in a pocket… AMAZING find!

The Waltham FSSC 88-W-800 is in a phenomenal condition

The Air Base notes are from Andrew’s Air Force Base where the United States’ Air Force One plane is located. The notes state his name “Jay Crowder” as well as “Pentagon” from the time he served there.

Below you will find some of the history of the Decorated Pilot Jonathan Jay Crowder (J.J. Crowder) I was able to find. Enjoy!

USN Captain J.J. Crowder
- He served in WWII (Pacific Theater) as well in the Vietnam War
- His flying career led him to heavy attack, as well as air-to-air missile research & development (R&D)
- He was a pioneer in photoreconnaissance and mapping
- Was commander of the VCP-61 on Guam (see pic)
- Later on he became the Executive Officer of the Aircraft Carrier Oriskany
- Afterwards, he became the Commander of the Naval Photographic Center in Washington, D.C. (where he met & greeted with US Presidents, their families and politicians)
- His Medals include: Meritorious Service Medal (for his service to the White House), World War II Victory Medal, American Service (one Star), American Defense, Korean Service, Asia and Pacific theater (four stars), Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign, National Defense (one star), Naval Aviator Insignia and Command at Sea Insignia.

"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Re: Shout out to Mort-amazing watch find.

Postby foghorn » March 3rd 2018, 4:33am

He also went on to play in the NBA.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » March 3rd 2018, 8:40am

That’s not a thrift shop find of the year, more like find of a lifetime.

Makes me sad that this distinguished gentleman didn’t have anyone to pass those treasures along to.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » March 3rd 2018, 9:01am

WARNING: This is one of Mort's LONG replies!!

Wow, that IS one hell of a find! I recognize a few of his patches, there, most notably the NAS PENSACOLA patch (center left on the back of the jacket) and the USS ORISKANY (CVA 34) (center right). What a terrific jacket! CAPT Crowder had a very good eye for patch placement, keeping things nice and symmetrical. I also LOVE these well-worn, well-lived-in jackets, like this one; the patchesd take on a softer, almost 'patinated' look to them, and leather has relaxed to an almost buttery softness...

---===SIGH===---

Oh, yeah, and the watch's pretty cool, too...

I note with a bit of a grin that his last aircraft flown was the A-3D, which was a long-range, nuclear weapons capable bomber -- sort of the USN's "us, too" plane, making us [hopefully] relevant enough so that the USAF wouldn't be able to convince POTUS that we didn't need no steenking carriers -- that could be launched on [CENSORED] minutes notice. It had a crew of three, and all of those who flew and crewed the plane after 1980 lovingly (and only half-jokingly) said that "A-3D stands for 'All Three Died'," a reference to the fact that, like all older planes, it took more and more maintenance, repairs and prayers to keep it flying. Another awesome old plane that I remember flew for the last time off ENTERPRISE, back in '86.

And speaking of USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65), here's one of MY G-1's, on which I sewed (well, had sewn, actually, as I can't sew for Schmidt) a number of my ENTERPRISE patches that I collected whenever my squadron embarked in her, and even a couple I picked up after I retired:

Not too bad, for an old flying geezward, huh?

VVVV Mort's First Aircraft VVVV

A-7E CORSAIR II, AKA the "SLUFF" - Short Little Ugly Fat F[CENSORED].

And here's a watch that I have that CAPT Crowder might have felt comfortable with (and if you're reading this tiktok, please stay calm):

(tik doesn't like bund straps, you see...)

And that should do it for THIS, yet another of Mort's Moldy Memories & Mutterings...

C-U-Next-Time, girls!

Image Image Image
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 3rd 2018, 9:14am

P.S. - I just realized that, looking at CAPT Crowder's stats, above, he would be 100 years old THIS YEAR! DAYAM! I hate that Our Greatest Generation is all dying off...or Dead Like Me.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » March 3rd 2018, 9:53am

biglove wrote:That’s not a thrift shop find of the year, more like find of a lifetime.

Makes me sad that this distinguished gentleman didn’t have anyone to pass those treasures along to.

I looked up an obituary and if it's him then he had daughters and grandkids to leave it to. I can't believe no one wanted it, or his wife was just waiting to dump that old thing.
http://www.therandolphleader.com/obitua ... cb495.html

What an amazing find though, something to be treasured.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » March 3rd 2018, 10:27am

Thanks Mort, I knew you wouldn't let me down!
Your jacket, story and watch are as much an amazing part of history as the one in the original post, and as such I hope your family appreciate it.
Cheers Don.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 3rd 2018, 10:42am

bobbee wrote:Thanks Mort, I knew you wouldn't let me down!
Your jacket, story and watch are as much an amazing part of history as the one in the original post, and as such I hope your family appreciate it.
Cheers Don.

Thanks, bobbee! And thanks also for sharing this amazing story with us; this is the kind of guy whom I grew up absolutely worshipping, along with my dad, who was an A-1 SPAD driver before going over to the dark side (the Intelligence community :oops: ). I love this kind of stuff, not only because I'm a collector of watches and vintage flight jackets, but because my missus and I haunt all the local thrift stores, where we have not found a jacket quite like that, though I've found quite a few old plain jackets, especially when I was stationed in DC. Please give your friend a tip 'o the hat from a fellow "thrifter." 8-)

As to my inheritors, it's a very large group, because I've already arranged to leave the entirety of my flight jacket collection to the USS MIDWAY (CV 41) Museum, which is, I think, the best of all worlds, because they've promised to display them prominently, along with my other MIDWAY memorabilia (I flew missions off her during Operation DESERT STORM, and am very, very attached to her). My relatives understand, and my missus will be glad to be rid of all that shite from our library ("liberry," for those of you from Fairfax, VA)...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 3rd 2018, 11:56am

This is really, truly amazing. Wow. Loving every word of this thread. Wow.

It's astounding what people give to charity where they have no concept what the items really mean. These things all belong in a museum. These are great men we are talking about. Truly great men. I guess, maybe, and I don't wanna play sidewalk psychiatrist here, but I know in my own mom's case my father's death was so painful that she wanted to get rid of most of his belongings so she wouldn't break down every time she looked at them. People handle grief in different ways, that I know.

But anyway, my admiration knows no bounds.
Last edited by TemerityB on March 3rd 2018, 7:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » March 3rd 2018, 12:01pm

Me too TB!
I hope nobody minds me linking this thread to the one at MWR, as the mwrines there will enjoy Mort's contribution too.

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 3rd 2018, 1:48pm

bobbee wrote:Me too TB!
I hope nobody minds me linking this thread to the one at MWR, as the mwrines there will enjoy Mort's contribution too.

But I haven't had my hair & nails done, and I haven't a thing to wear...and besides all that, I need a shave. :???:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » March 3rd 2018, 2:04pm

And waxing...

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 3rd 2018, 2:27pm

bobbee wrote:And waxing...

...but of course! :shock:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » March 3rd 2018, 4:45pm

What a thread! Excellent read fellahs.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Blogs, Watch Magazines & other sites