Hosting your own photos

Give us your best or worst shot

Hosting your own photos

Postby koimaster » February 6th 2018, 3:47pm

I have been debating this for awhile now. Photobucket is a big reason why I would like to host not only my photos but those of members who would have their own folders.

Dear Lifehacker, I want to share my photos with friends, but I'd rather create my own portfolio and gallery rather than trust the Facebooks and Yahoos and Googles of the world to host them for me. How can I take control of my photos and host them myself?

Sincerely,
Prescient Photographer

Dear Prescient Photographer,
There's a point in most photographers' careers where they want to build a personal gallery on their own site, rather than host their photos on Flickr, Picasa, or any of our other favorite photo hosting services. Make no mistake, Flickr, Picasa, Smugmug, and other photo hosting sites offer great storage and services for people looking to share their pictures online, quickly and easily, along with agreements to help them license their photos if they want to. Plus, they're largely free, and super-easy to use and upload photos to.

https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-take-c ... 1461903693

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Hosting your own photos

Postby Thunder1 » February 6th 2018, 4:02pm

I would greatly prefer having a photo folder on the WL site...make it happen..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » February 6th 2018, 5:29pm

Said it before...the best thing to do is register a domain name (ie: bedlamsmanypics.com) and have it hosted for $10 a yr. You upload your pics to your site and link to your pics directly. You are your own master.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » February 6th 2018, 5:56pm

bedlam wrote:Said it before...the best thing to do is register a domain name (ie: bedlamsmanypics.com) and have it hosted for $10 a yr. You upload your pics to your site and link to your pics directly. You are your own master.

Well, WL does own a few doxa related domain names. We could host photos on doxasales.com which is owned by us. :twisted:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Watch Photography Forum