UPDATE: H. Moser Retracts Swiss Icons Watch

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

UPDATE: H. Moser Retracts Swiss Icons Watch

Postby Racer-X » January 10th 2018, 8:45pm

UPDATE: Retracted by H Moser - see post below:
viewtopic.php?p=416634#p416572
____

Video is brilliant.

by Brice Goulard "H. Moser & Cie. does it again with the Swiss Icons Watch…! Yes, it is a mess. Yes, it looks terrible. No, it is not a joke and it does really exist. But indeed, it is again a brave move from the brand. Early 2017, Moser decided to remove the “Swiss Made” inscription from their watches and coincidentally they launched the Swiss Mad Watch (100% Swiss, including the cheese case). Now, the brand again wants to make some noise and to point what they believe to be the watchmaking industry’s main issue; the lack of creativity and the overly-present marketing."

Moser CEO Edouard Meylan says, in a statement accompanying the release, that "Many brands, even historical ones, create and produce nothing but substitute substance with artificial hype to stay relevant. Reinforcing their efforts with prestigious events and paying ambassadors who have no links to watchmaking; these tactics are just artifice that serve as smoke and mirrors. It's all about who has the longest history, the most famous celebrity ambassador, or influencer with the most followers. Their efforts are in vain, the essential lies elsewhere: with the product." The watch will be auctioned after the 2018 SIHH, and proceeds will be donated to the Fondation pour la Culture Horlogère Suisse, to "support apprenticeships in the watchmaking professions and to safeguard expertise in the related watchmaking arts and crafts."

Article at Monochrome

"Introducing the H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Icons Watch. A tribute to the visionaries of watchmaking, before they were replaced by marketers."
Last edited by Racer-X on June 6th 2018, 7:05pm, edited 12 times in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: H. Moser & Cie. does it again with the Swiss Icons Watch

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 10th 2018, 10:33pm

Well, they meant it to look like a complete and utter crock of shit, and they certainly succeeded at that. Their interpretation of the marketing strategy of most Swiss manufacturers is one that I absolutely agree with.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » January 10th 2018, 10:36pm

Girard Panerolex Royal Nautilus

I like them more with each mockery.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 10th 2018, 11:11pm

TMMLH.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » January 11th 2018, 12:38am

The back looks cool.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » January 11th 2018, 2:53am

Needs an Invicta sticker on the dial, and to complement the set should be boxed in a cabriole table leg, to save time.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » January 11th 2018, 3:25am

I think it's brilliant. I like the way it doesn't just rip the piss out of lazy designers and frankly, equally lazy buyers (is it iconic? Someone tell me it's an icon of Swiss watch design, I'll buy it and show people on the Internet), it takes a cabriole leg, and well, u kno the rest...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » January 11th 2018, 4:44am

I can't understand it.
Who wants to pay copious amounts of 💰 to wear a watch 'sarcastically'?
None but groovy hipsters with deep pockets and empty heads.

Pass the cabriole leg, John.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby codguy » January 11th 2018, 6:49am

Racer-X wrote:Image

Nice background
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 11th 2018, 7:09am

If Hans Wilsdorf screwed Nick Hayek while getting a reach around from Johann Rupert this is what would be left on the sheets.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » January 11th 2018, 7:13am

bobbee wrote:I can't understand it.
Who wants to pay copious amounts of 💰 to wear a watch 'sarcastically'?
None but groovy hipsters with deep pockets and empty heads.

Er, it's not actually for sale!

The empty-headedness is what Moser is trying to illuminate - a lack of imagination and thought on the part of a bunch of usual-suspect premium brands, and by association, their buyers.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 11th 2018, 8:37am

H. Moser has balls the size of garbage cans, and it only makes me admire them all the more. Sure, this watch is WTF (though I find it pretty funny) - but Moser is the bomb. Hand me a Venturer small seconds and I'll call it a hobby right then and there.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Pubbie » January 11th 2018, 12:24pm

TemerityB wrote:H. Moser has balls the size of garbage cans, and it only makes me admire them all the more. Sure, this watch is WTF (though I find it pretty funny) - but Moser is the bomb. Hand me a Venturer small seconds and I'll call it a hobby right then and there.

I see it's already fucked up a lot of humourless but patently idle rich men on the internet
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » January 11th 2018, 12:43pm

Pubbie wrote:
TemerityB wrote:H. Moser has balls the size of garbage cans, and it only makes me admire them all the more. Sure, this watch is WTF (though I find it pretty funny) - but Moser is the bomb. Hand me a Venturer small seconds and I'll call it a hobby right then and there.

I see it's already fucked up a lot of humourless but patently idle rich men on the internet

Not sure the implication, but today, H Moser removed the video from YouTube. The video in the OP is from ABTW.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » January 11th 2018, 3:17pm

Racer-X wrote:Not sure the implication, but today, H Moser removed the video from YouTube. The video in the OP is from ABTW.

Glad I watched it a couple of times and had a chuckle!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » January 11th 2018, 4:32pm

Pubbie wrote:
Racer-X wrote:Not sure the implication, but today, H Moser removed the video from YouTube. The video in the OP is from ABTW.

The video is still in the OP, I just had replace it with the same video from elsewhere.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » January 11th 2018, 9:03pm

I just noted that the Swissish Salad Watch (yet somehow: Schaffhausen) has lumed numerals--but unlumed hands.

Excellent.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » January 12th 2018, 1:53am

Racer-X wrote:
Pubbie wrote:

The video is still in the OP, I just had replace it with the same video from elsewhere.

Got you now.

And I saved it, in case LVMH and Richemont lawyer up and erase Moser from the internet for taking the piss ...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » January 13th 2018, 12:31am

Aaaand it's gone, and turns out it was a one-off to be auctioned.

"H. Moser Retracts The Swiss Icons Watch"

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/h-moser-retracts-the-swiss-icons-watch

"In an official statement released this morning, H. Moser announced that they will not be presenting the unique Swiss Icons Watch at SIHH next week, nor will they be auctioning off the piece in support of the Fondation pour la Culture Horlogère Suisse after the fair. We first noticed something wasn't quite right yesterday, when all traces of the watch disappeared from Moser's website, social media accounts, and YouTube channel sometime mid-morning Eastern Time. After contacting a representative of the brand, we were told that they did not wish to comment at the time, but that an official statement would be coming soon.

That official statement arrived this morning and reads as follows:

Dear H. Moser friends and others,

No one said #MakeSwissMadeGreatAgain would be easy...

You might have noticed that we have stopped our campaign promoting our Swiss Icons Watch.

While our objective was to pay tribute to the great founders of our beautiful industry and warn against certain practices of others, the message was unfortunately sometimes misunderstood.

As such, the Swiss Icons Watch will therefore no longer be presented and won’t be sold to raise funds to support education and training of young Swiss Watchmakers.

But fear not, we still have a number of surprises to share with you next week at SIHH.

Yours sincerely,
Edouard Meylan
CEO H. Moser & Cie."
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 13th 2018, 12:34am

Those Kraut kunts!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: UPDATE: H. Moser Retracts Swiss Icons Watch

Postby Pubbie » January 13th 2018, 2:34am

Brilliant. It means it fucking hurt the people they were parodying (if there was nothing to it they'd have ignored it) and they took it very seriously.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AntFarm » January 13th 2018, 8:13am

That looks like they had a bunch of parts from a bunch of other ugly watches and just threw them together... What an ugly joke.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » January 13th 2018, 10:57am

Fifty years from now you'll be able to buy that watch from an Ebay seller in the Ukraine.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 13th 2018, 2:06pm

Edouard Meylan is exactly the sort of watch company owner who seems to actually care about honesty, tries to push the industry to improve, and does that with style. No wonder why his mocking of the industry's behemoths, who offer and do the same shit over and over again without the slightest chance for a change, pissed them off. Truth usually hurts, and it looks like they bloody felt it, as they should have.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » January 15th 2018, 3:25am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Edouard Meylan is exactly the sort of watch company owner who seems to actually care about honesty, tries to push the industry to improve, and does that with style. No wonder why his mocking of the industry's behemoths, who offer and do the same shit over and over again without the slightest chance for a change, pissed them off. Truth usually hurts, and it looks like they bloody felt it, as they should have.

Agreed. And it makes people who took personal offence at what Moser look like dicks. What, their mothers all work in the Swiss luxury watch industry?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Next

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers