Need some help/advice

Need some help/advice

Postby DocKlock » October 24th 2014, 6:57pm

I have a Marathon Quartz H3 TSAR that needs a new battery.
My questions:

It takes a 371 battery - can any 1.55 volt battery that is the same physical size (or very close) be used or do I have to order a 371? I've done this before on cheapos without incident, but not on a watch this expensive.

There is a round odd shaped circle that came out of the case. I have read about this before, but can't remember what the person did with it.
Like everyone else, I didn't notice EXACTLY where it was until it came out. What does it do? and apparently the ONLY place I could see was where it would overlap slightly into the case. -- is this correct!

Shouldn't be any surprises to get battery out, right!!

The caseback was a bear to get off, by the way.

Turning in for the night, but I look forward to your help and advice.

Thanks in advance, Tom
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Need some help/advice

Postby smellody » October 24th 2014, 7:04pm

Yikes. Order/get a 371. I like Energizer. Post a pic of the piece.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » October 24th 2014, 7:14pm

WUS thread involving a black disc over the movement.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/marathon-tsar-changing-battery-finds-black-cover-890615.html

The black cover serves two purposes. One a dust cover and the second is to securely hold the movement as an auxiliary to the movnt ring. I've found them gone before due to battery changes at other shops and they forget to put them back in. So don't forget to put it back in after install. May seem nonfunctional, but it's very important.

As for the removal. I takes a bit of work and something thin. Just make sure you don't pry to hard and send the sharp object twords the movnt. Or your Uncles TSAR will need to make a trip here.

Best,
James @ MWWC
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » October 24th 2014, 7:38pm

smellody wrote:Yikes. Order/get a 371. I like Energizer. Post a pic of the piece.

Yup. Three-seventy-ones are easy to find--I've got 'em before at my local Walgreens along with my Hustler's Barely Legal Boo-tay Busters prescriptions. Like Smells yikes, it's too good a watch to try to jam the wrong battery into.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby ocean » October 24th 2014, 7:40pm

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 24th 2014, 7:41pm

Take it to someone who knows wassup.
If you're asking us then you're in need of professional help.
foghorn

Postby timc. » October 24th 2014, 7:43pm

yup, more than one of my quartz watches take that battery, available everywhere
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » October 24th 2014, 8:31pm

Get the right size one. It's not only the diameter of the battery that counts but also the thickness. No sense mangling the battery holder to save a buck. You can find that battery just about anywhere.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1

Postby gerdson » October 25th 2014, 4:58am

And it is not only the diameter and the bloody thickness, that really counts, but the internal resistance, You nitwits! If You use the wrong type, or a battery too cheap, You do risk that it's highly corrosive content makes it's way through to the outside, especially towards the end of it's lifetime. So check out the type that You need - size matters, and "low drain" or "high drain". The 371 is "low drain".
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » October 25th 2014, 5:10am

Thanks for all the advice. I will order the correct size battery. The watch doesn't have the black 'disc' or the tiny screw holding the battery down tho. It has a very thin, slightly rippled 'washer' about the size of a quarter, that apparently holds in the battery. It overlaps into the case. I put the ring back into the watch and it still works -- altho jumping ahead 4 seconds at a time, indicating it needs a new battery.
After I get the new battery I'll give an update.
Thanks again to all for the advice. Tom
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DocKlock » November 1st 2014, 5:11am

Battery transplant was uneventful and watch is ticking away. Because I am cheap and didn't mind the wait, I ordered Renata 371 (that was in the watch) off Ebay. Five for $4.75 - mailed for free.
Thank you all for advising me to get the right, correct size battery. :D
Tom
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 1st 2014, 9:53am

DocKlock wrote:Battery transplant was uneventful and watch is ticking away. Because I am cheap and didn't mind the wait, I ordered Renata 371 (that was in the watch) off Ebay. Five for $4.75 - mailed for free.
Tom

Man, you did exactly the right thing. For me, it's only Renata at this point; they really do seem to last longer and they're intended for watches.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I find the Energizers of the world don't last as long. And those 40-on-a-card dollar store batteries should be avoided like the plague.
"Just a little pinch, then everything will drop out."
- Invicta Ryan on the Invicter Love Boat
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » November 1st 2014, 1:25pm

DocKlock wrote:Battery transplant was uneventful and watch is ticking away. Because I am cheap and didn't mind the wait, I ordered Renata 371 (that was in the watch) off Ebay. Five for $4.75 - mailed for free.
Tom

In the future I would order from a reliable source. I don't trust ebay or Amazon third party batteries to be genuine.

Here is the 371 at Esslinger:
http://www.esslinger.com/renata-371-replacement-watch-battery.aspx
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 1st 2014, 6:38pm

Racer-X wrote:
Tom

In the future I would order from a reliable source. I don't trust ebay or Amazon third party batteries to be genuine.

Here is the 371 at Esslinger:
http://www.esslinger.com/renata-371-replacement-watch-battery.aspx

MyBatterySupplier, an Amazon seller out of Brooklyn, sells genuine Renata batteries. The only seller there I trust.
"Just a little pinch, then everything will drop out."
- Invicta Ryan on the Invicter Love Boat
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » November 1st 2014, 6:44pm

Batteries.com has always come through for me.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Luftwafflles » November 3rd 2014, 10:50pm

I've had good luck with Energizers. As stated, the 371 battery is about as common as they come. 395 too.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk