US NAVY AIRCRAFT CARRIER MUSEUMS

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

US NAVY AIRCRAFT CARRIER MUSEUMS

Postby koimaster » July 11th 2019, 9:21am

I am not a Navy guy but I have toured the Midway in the past.

Currently (July 2013) there are five US Navy Aircraft Carrier museums. Four are of Essex class carriers commissioned during World War II which underwent the SBC-125 refit in the 1950s to modernize them. All were commissioned in 1943 & served into modern times. The last, the USS Lexington, was decommissioned in 1991 after 48 years service. The other is the USS Midway, namesake of a larger class carrier built at the end of the war. She underwent two major refits, in the 1950s & in 1970 greatly enlarging her flight deck for modern aircraft. She was commissioned in 1945 & decommissioned in 1992 after 47 years service.

https://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/US-CVMuseums.htm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: US NAVY AIRCRAFT CARRIER MUSEUMS

Postby TemerityB » July 11th 2019, 12:35pm

I'm getting older. My dad was a Navy man. I wanna get out to the Intrepid sometime this summer. He used to love going to the museums. I gotta hand it to him - he was a proud Navy veteran but never once did he brag. Not once.
I bought a dive watch from them that literally had “dive” in the name. The instructions said not to dive with it - it was only meant to LOOK like a dive watch. It was also fast by more that a minute per day. Garbage. Never again. - IWG buyer on Reddit
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 11th 2019, 6:03pm

Have many times considered stopping to tour the USS Alabama battleship in Mobile. Is always during summer and they say that the heat is suffocating inside it. Not to mention the small spaces and the fact that those ships were not designed for 6'4", 330# guys.

Will have to be happy with photos.

The thought of how those men staffed that and much smaller ships is a testament to strong will, dedication and bravery.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2019, 7:49pm

biglove wrote:Have many times considered stopping to tour the USS Alabama battleship in Mobile. Is always during summer and they say that the heat is suffocating inside it. Not to mention the small spaces and the fact that those ships were not designed for 6'4", 330# guys.

The thought of how those men staffed that and much smaller ships is a testament to strong will, dedication and bravery.

You ought to go, Mr. Loaf. We went to visit the USS Missouri when it was berthed out here at Bemerton. A really great experience.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » July 12th 2019, 8:17am

I got to see the Midway just before I clobbered up a knee.

It was a lot of fun--- a tug boat compared to the Vinson and so forth.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Darksider » July 12th 2019, 8:46am

biglove wrote:Have many times considered stopping to tour the USS Alabama battleship in Mobile. Is always during summer and they say that the heat is suffocating inside it. Not to mention the small spaces and the fact that those ships were not designed for 6'4", 330# guys.

Visited her many years ago and again in 2017 on our return trip from Florida. Big, cramped and beautiful still.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Alabama_(BB-60)

conjurer wrote:
You ought to go, Mr. Loaf. We went to visit the USS Missouri when it was berthed out here at Bemerton. A really great experience.
I took my grand kids to see her while she was there as well. I had hoped Portland would have been able to have her but alas that did not work out. She is the largest of the Iowa class battleships. Bigger than the Alabama which is older and more of a large cruiser IMO than the true Iowa class ships. Iowa class include the USS Iowa (now berthed in LA), USS New Jersey (berthed in NJ), the USS Wisconsin which I think is berthed near Norfolk and of course the USS Missouri.

I was to Naval Aviation as Granny Lalo was to the Russian Diver
Darksider
Founder

Return to Anything and Everything Else