Atelier Wen "Hao" at the AMCHPR

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

Atelier Wen "Hao" at the AMCHPR

Postby AlbertaTime » July 6th 2019, 10:07pm

I wrote about this watch when I received Robin and Wilfried's prototype piece for review, as that No. 000 watch visited a number of reviewers one after the other, around the globe.

Well, I have one of my own, now, No. 192, and it's a gift I'll proudly accept from Atelier Wen, especially given my personal backstory with Robin--and therefore the brand. Robin and I have both been very open about our friendship since we first met, by total coincidence in Beijing, which that last link describes. It was my immediate decision to introduce Robin to Li Wei of the China Horologe Association after that chance meeting that gave Robin his very first introductions to the people in the Chinese watch industry. It's been my great pleasure to see Robin and his business partner Wilfried take thoughtful advantage of every opportunity that has followed.

So, here's my new Atelier Wen "Hao". I still think it's every bit as as beautiful as I thought when I first held the prototype. I love wearing it. It's plainly Chinese, very clearly influenced by tradition, but it presents fully up-to-date on the wrist. And, since my watch-related budget very much mostly goes to travel rather than buying more watches, I'm also plain really grateful to have some fresh new wrist candy.

https://www.amchpr.com/uploads/5/7/6/1/ ... 8_orig.jpg[/img]

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Atelier Wen "Hao" at the AMCHPR

Postby conjurer » July 6th 2019, 11:21pm

That's pure fucking class, that is. I would love to do a review of this watch.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » July 7th 2019, 12:14am

What a wild surprise, the caseback is like rock and roll and the dial is Chopin...so cool!
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » July 7th 2019, 2:30am

tiktok wrote:What a wild surprise, the caseback is like rock and roll and the dial is Chopin...so cool!

Thanks, tiktok. I get what you're writing. There's lots of contrasts at play in the design, and they work. I met the Chinese designers that Robin and Wilfried work with: Liu Yuguan and Li Mingliang, and they're both young, sharp, serious and level-headed. Seen here talking with Li Wei of the CHA, outside a shoot for a CCTV9 documentary on economy, history, art and manufacturing.

And, here, with Robin and Wilfried, at the same shoot.

The show is expected to air in November and Robin says I can likely post the thing on my site, so I'll keep you all notified. (I have a small bit in the documentary as a western 'expert' on Chinese watch manufacturing history, in this case: the history of Liaoning Watch Factory (1957), which became Kongque/Peacock (1977), which makes the Hao's movement.) Li Wei took this photo of me shooting shooting.

conjurer wrote:That's pure fucking class, that is. I would love to do a review of this watch.

I'll email Robin and ask if No. 000 is still available for reviews. It was doing the rounds last I know of. I'd love to read your review. I agree with you: the watch *is* pure fucking class.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 7th 2019, 8:22am

That dial, the case, that case back. All amazing. I just want to stare at that dial forever!
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » July 7th 2019, 12:19pm

biglove wrote:That dial, the case, that case back. All amazing. I just want to stare at that dial forever!

I'm with you on that. I really think Robin and Wilfried scored on this one.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » July 7th 2019, 12:36pm

Wow.

There is a blue porcelain dial with a different design that looks 500 feet deep in the sun on their site also- tough choice, the white is so classic. Pretty reasonable at $720, too.

Well, It has to be the Hao. It's classic with the flourishes, letters, TM (? - hell idk, but I really like it) on the sub dial, and the whimsical back is awesome. Thanks Ron, you finally ( :lol: ) found my first Chinese entry, (and second 3 hander, the first a bequest) after I refreshed my memory on the movement which is a very cool looking 32 jewell, 28,800 job.

I think I'm actually giddy about getting a watch for the first time in a long time- I've been sitting on a little money to buy a NEMO or for an incredible deal like a .750 Daydate for 8 bills, or, uhh, this.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 7th 2019, 12:39pm

I like this one. I like it a lot.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » July 7th 2019, 5:50pm

Where does one purchase?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » July 7th 2019, 5:55pm

tiktok wrote:Where does one purchase?

https://atelier-wen.myshopify.com/

Of note, their watches are assembled & QC by Fiyta. Have just bought a Fiyta dress auto on sale for $99 at Joma.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » July 7th 2019, 6:24pm

Salmon skin straps are da bomb.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » July 7th 2019, 8:52pm

tiktok wrote:Where does one purchase?

https://atelier-wen.myshopify.com/, which i see was already provided.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » July 7th 2019, 8:54pm

biglove wrote:Have just bought a Fiyta dress auto on sale for $99 at Joma.

Did i miss pix?

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 7th 2019, 9:24pm

AlbertaTime wrote:

Did i miss pix?

Just ordered it.

https://www.jomashop.com/fiyta-watch-wga1010-mwm.html
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » July 7th 2019, 10:12pm

biglove wrote:
AlbertaTime wrote:

Did i miss pix?

Just ordered it.

That's not bad. That's about what it costs to refill the tank of a Suburban with premium gas.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » July 11th 2019, 7:47am

conjurer wrote:
biglove wrote:
AlbertaTime wrote:

Did i miss pix?

Just ordered it.

That's not bad. That's about what it costs to refill the tank of a Suburban with premium gas.

Despite my initial enthusiasm- lotta money for a jobber watch particularly from a jobber that makes $50 watches. Porcelain bonded to copper, adjusted in 5 position and so on and so forth depends on who's mixing the zircon. oxide and firing it, and who's doing the adjusting and so on and so forth.

Dammit AT- I thought this was finally the one.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » July 12th 2019, 8:40am

Well, Fiyta was chosen as the assembler and for QC, but the watch case, movement and dial are all from elsewhere.

Robin makes some initial comments on suppliers here...

https://monochrome-watches.com/robin-co ... tch-brand/

...and much more detail here, in a couple of long posts in this thread...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/journ ... s/4739765X

All watch valuations are subjective, but I think Robin is being very transparent here, and I know he'll be personally willing to answer any questions you might have.

What I can tell you is that Robin and Will have top level connections, when it comes to the Chinese industry--because I know those connections first hand--and that they had assistance at those levels when choosing their suppliers.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » July 12th 2019, 11:23am

And...John, the Conjurer is gonna soon be doing a review on a production model.

So, no need for hasty yes or no. I'm curious what the venerable Conjurer will have to say :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 12th 2019, 3:41pm

Good looking watch. Not sure I would let John review unless he has put his susan boyle magazines away.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » July 12th 2019, 4:08pm

koimaster wrote:Good looking watch. Not sure I would let John review unless he has put his susan boyle magazines away.

Rather wisely, I didn't share this particular character flaw with the company's owner.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 12th 2019, 4:54pm

Will say this, at least regarding Fiyta. Arrived yesterday and have yet to size it but the fit and finishing look Hamilton level easily. For $99 grey with a NH auto.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 12th 2019, 6:19pm

AlbertaTime wrote:And...John, the Conjurer is gonna soon be doing a review on a production model.

So, no need for hasty yes or no. I'm curious what the venerable Conjurer will have to say :-)

Oh cool- and it will have been thoroughly screwed with and shipped all over the place, too. Be an interesting look into finishes, robustnitude and so forth.

I had refreshed my memory about the movement, Fiyta has to make it all a watch, I'll check them out more. I didn't plan on things turning out for having to trip over seven bills, but I followed a calling, the fucking schmuck, so what can I do? I think seeing what Conj thinks is good advice.

P.S.-What did I tell you about the scarf tying? He counts that in, believe me. :lol:

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels