A taste of honey: Oris Divers Sixty-Five ‘Honey’

A taste of honey: Oris Divers Sixty-Five ‘Honey’

Postby koimaster » May 13th 2019, 4:20pm

OK, let’s back up to 2015 when Oris launched its now much-beloved Divers Sixty-Five. One of the hardest design challenges in watchmaking is the creation of a handsome, functional and original-looking dive watch. But that’s precisely what Oris achieved when it launched the 40mm rotating-bezel-equipped timepiece with amusing funky op-art-like indices at the four main quadrants based on a 36mm watch from its collection dated to 1965.

Even more appealing beyond the watch’s well-executed and relatively slim case and domed sapphire, which provide the design underpinnings for a steady aesthetic evolution over the years, was the highly accessible 1,600-euro original price point. It was clear that Oris had decided to offer an extremely strong value proposition with their Swiss-made timepiece powered by a Sellita SW 200 calibre. The water resistance of the watch was 100m, which is still far deeper than anyone is likely to ever dive.

In 2016 Oris rode on the success established by the Divers Sixty-Five by introducing a more conventionally dialled version of their dive watch, with a combination of round and rectangular indices. That year they also created a limited edition of this 42 mm watch in tribute to Carl Brashear, the US Navy’s first African-American master diver. Brashear’s inspiring story was chronicled in the film Men of Honor, where he was played by Cuba Gooding Jr.

https://www.revolution.watch/a-taste-of ... ive-honey/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: A taste of honey: Oris Divers Sixty-Five ‘Honey’

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 13th 2019, 4:49pm

That lass is pretty. The watch - not really.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » May 13th 2019, 8:10pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:That lass is pretty. The watch - not really.

Agreed.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » May 13th 2019, 9:58pm

Nope, the wartche is purdy, too. However, Oris should make the wartche 200 meters WR instead of making it more purdy. Otherwise, the Sixty-Five is a limp-wristed purdy boy.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » May 14th 2019, 3:59am

conjurer wrote:Nope, the wartche is purdy, too. However, Oris should make the wartche 200 meters WR instead of making it more purdy. Otherwise, the Sixty-Five is a limp-wristed purdy boy.

It's cool, but your average dive-watch wearer is a man who doesn't exercise, is constantly, always slightly out of breath, and wears dive watches in wine bars. The number of people taking premium mechanical Swiss watches SCUBA diving worldwide must be in the hundreds.

Even I need a safety buffer so for me the maximum would be an actual 50m. If I need to go more than a genuine 50m down, I'll get something else ;). I took mine snorkelling, for which your typical WIS requires a 500m rating with Helium valve, and for recreational diving according to this report it's fine:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/oris-diver ... ch-review/

Seriously, how many of any dive watch kind - especially if they have butch, manly-man ratings - get even this far?

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » May 14th 2019, 5:32am

^^All are good points..if I didn't already own a bronze bezel version of this one, I'd be interested.. ;)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » May 15th 2019, 1:04am

Thunder1 wrote:^^All are good points..if I didn't already own a bronze bezel version of this one, I'd be interested.. ;)

It's the big domed crystal, rather than the rated WR, that worries me most about this watch; I read that sapphire shatters more than acrylic. Diving or even snorkelling duties is more about banging the watch about, and the idea of smacking the watch on the side of the boat and accidentally ruining it, instead of just putting a divot in the bezel, makes me think twice about anything rufty-tufty. In fact I bought an honest-to-Christ, salt-of-the-earth etc etc Seiko diver with a beefy bezel just for that!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » May 15th 2019, 2:28am

I fell off the sailboat making ten knots and smacked my Muhle Glashutte SAR squarely against the boat and no harm came of it, great watch, I need to get another or maybe an Archimede Outdoor, that is a fine tool watch for the VALUE PROPOSITION, most overused and untenable philosophy to apply to watch collecting. These can be had readily on second hand market @$500. Ice hardened Ickler case, WR 20 atm, SW 200, think I will snag one when mommy leaves the room where the cookie jar is kept.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » May 15th 2019, 6:03am

100m WR? Not a dive watch.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 15th 2019, 3:36pm

bedlam wrote:100m WR? Not a dive watch.

If to think of that, 100m rating was present in dive watches. The original Submariners, ref. 6204 and 6205, had a rating of 100m. I suppose that it would have been even less for the original purpose-built dive watches made by Rolex for Panerai back in the 1930s (and throughout WW2).

And then there's your favourite brand, Carl - Seiko. The Silver Wave, i.e. the very first Seiko diver? 50m WR. 62MAS? 150m WR. Were they also not dive watches, because they weren't rated to 200 or 300m?

Besides, how much more does one need for desk diving, swimming...? I suppose that for something like diving on the wreck of the Thistlegorm (which happens to be at a depth of more or less 30m below the surface of the Red Sea), that Oris would do just fine. Frankly, even a Rolex Datejust wouldn't even be moved by something like that.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » May 15th 2019, 5:25pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

If to think of that, 100m rating was present in dive watches. The original Submariners, ref. 6204 and 6205, had a rating of 100m. I suppose that it would have been even less for the original purpose-built dive watches made by Rolex for Panerai back in the 1930s (and throughout WW2).

And then there's your favourite brand, Carl - Seiko. The Silver Wave, i.e. the very first Seiko diver? 50m WR. 62MAS? 150m WR. Were they also not dive watches, because they weren't rated to 200 or 300m?

Why quote vintage watches as examples? What was the WR of the recent 62MAS reissue that is designed for diving today?

Watches rated for use in the 1930's were not used for the depths that are possible now. On most tables looking at dive watch WR suitability you will find 200m is the minimum recommended for modern scuba diving.

Closer to home, in October I'll be doing some dives in Indo that are beyond 100m. So how viable is a 50-100m WR?

In 2019 a 100m rating is a desk-diver watch.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 15th 2019, 6:01pm

bedlam wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Why quote vintage watches as examples? What was the WR of the recent 62MAS reissue that is designed for diving today?

Watches rated for use in the 1930's were not used for the depths that are possible now. On most tables looking at dive watch WR suitability you will find 200m is the minimum recommended for modern scuba diving.

Closer to home, in October I'll be doing some dives in Indo that are beyond 100m. So how viable is a 50-100m WR?

Going by the same logic, the Lotus 25 is no longer a racing car. Well, it's not something you'd drive to the supermarket just because the F1 cars of today are waaaay ahead in terms of what they can do. But such stuff is still good for something like the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Maybe not for an F1 GP, but it's still capable of racing. Just in a different kind of race.

Keep in mind, that there are people, who aren't hell-bent on deep diving or beating depth records. No, they enjoy relatively shallow (say, 50m tops) dives in nice locations, to then return to the beach, party with the broads, and then get on that shitty charter flight back home, and get back behind their desks at their offices. And, that Oris will do just fine for them in that scenario. Because they don't need anything more. It's not that the Oris is useless on a dive. Just, not useful in the sort of diving that you do.
Francis Urquhart

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » May 15th 2019, 9:10pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
bedlam wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Going by the same logic, the Lotus 25 is no longer a racing car.

Put the Lotus in a modern race and see how it goes. It's not up the task.

Because they don't need anything more. It's not that the Oris is useless on a dive. Just, not useful in the sort of diving that you do.

True, the Oris is about as useful as a Lotus 25 in this years Monaco F1.

You are parsing words while I'm talking about functionality. We could continue, but we both know what the other means.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby Pubbie » May 16th 2019, 2:10am

bedlam wrote:In 2019 a 100m rating is a desk-diver watch.

Is 100m these days more than 100m in the 1960s? has changed is consumer squeamishness. Portly men demanding 500m WR and a fart valve so they can go for a swim, that kind of thing. Also desks are dry. You can desk-dive with 0m.

Yes, this watch is probably no good for scuba diving, especially if you don't want an artificial depth limit depending on where you set your own safety margin. (At 100m rating, I wouldn't wear it if I expected to go deeper than 50m below.) For stuff near the surface, it's fine, in the same way that you don't need a 550 bhp Nissan coop to queue up in traffic on your commute ;).
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » May 16th 2019, 2:14am

bedlam wrote:Put the Lotus in a modern race and see how it goes. It's not up the task.

Indeed not, no; against butch divers with multi-hundreds of m of water resistance, of course it's going to break first. I think everyone is in violent agreement about that!

However I have dived in it - as in, dived into the water snorkelling and gone under the surface and thrashed about - and it was fine, several times. It performed as expected within the parameters of its specification so really, everything else is irrelevant.
True, the Oris is about as useful as a Lotus 25 in this years Monaco F1.

If the sweaty men who work in my office and wear Sea-Dwellers and Breitlings actually use them for the diving equivalent of a 2019 F1 race, I'll eat my hat. The only diving they do is muff-diving in Brown's on Friday after work, and all you need for that is splash resistance.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » May 16th 2019, 3:11am

Pubbie wrote:
bedlam wrote:In 2019 a 100m rating is a desk-diver watch.

Is 100m these days more than 100m in the 1960s?

Way back 100m was way more than could be dived. It's less than can be dived now - so 100m WR isn't adequate now in the way it used to be.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby bedlam » May 16th 2019, 3:14am

Pubbie wrote:However I have dived in it - as in, dived into the water snorkelling and gone under the surface and thrashed about - and it was fine, several times.

I expect the Oris would be the perfect snorkeling and splashing about in the water watch :okk:

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby Pubbie » May 16th 2019, 6:11am

bedlam wrote:
Pubbie wrote:However I have dived in it - as in, dived into the water snorkelling and gone under the surface and thrashed about - and it was fine, several times.

I expect the Oris would be the perfect snorkeling and splashing about in the water watch :okk:

I will agree - for that is what 100m rating is good for, given that 50m pretty always comes with no screw-down crown which is a no-no unless the seal is brand new and you can guarantee you won't pop the crown accidentally.

If were you expecting me to disagree then what can I say, I disappointed you :D
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Fortis and Oris watches