Glycine Combat Sub Bronze Automatic Watch

Glycine Combat Sub Bronze Automatic Watch

Postby koimaster » March 13th 2019, 8:46am

It was suggested to me that perhaps members might want to invest in the bronze version of this watch and then compare patina changes over time.

From its clean dial and diver’s bezel to its 200-meter water resistance rating and workhorse movement, the Glycine Combat Sub is a staple of the watch community. It’s been done in a wide spectrum of colors and finishes, but never before in bronze—until now. This brawny version of the Combat Sub is just like the original, only now it features a case that will naturally patina over time when exposed to oxygen and oils from the skin. Fitted with a sapphire crystal, it’s scratch resistant easy to read. The 25-jewel movement beneath offers a 38-hour tank on a full charge. For big-watch lovers, it comes in a 48-millimeter version, too.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine-co ... 0952569632

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Glycine Combat Sub Bronze Automatic Watch

Postby Thunder1 » March 13th 2019, 12:04pm

Yep, that was my idea..I can't see what these guys are going for on Massdrop right now, but at Glycine-Direct, the GL0187, GL0188, and GL0242 are going for $499.00(free shipping)..
https://www.ebay.com/str/glycinedirect/ ... 1161803010

That's about $100.00 or so more than they were a couple of weeks ago on that site...Rusty and I have the green dial versions, Foggy a Magrette, and the Big Tik, a Tudor..but I think it w/b interesting to see how differing climates and wearing styles affect their patinas over time..maybe even start a separate topic if there is enough interest..and for the $ spent, I think these Glycines represent very good value to boot...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » March 13th 2019, 12:26pm

Thunder1 wrote:Yep, that was my idea..I can't see what these guys are going for on Massdrop right now, but at Glycine-Direct, the GL0187, GL0188, and GL0242 are going for $499.00(free shipping)..
https://www.ebay.com/str/glycinedirect/ ... 1161803010

That's about $100.00 or so more than they were a couple of weeks ago on that site...Rusty and I have the green dial versions, Foggy a Magrette, and the Big Tik, a Tudor..but I think it w/b interesting to see how differing climates and wearing styles affect their patinas over time..maybe even start a separate topic if there is enough interest..and for the $ spent, I think these Glycines represent very good value to boot...

I have a Steinhart Ocean One bronze and a Zoretto.
Hot and humid has a big effect. My Steinhart went through a big change last summer when it was unusually hot and sticky in these parts.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Rusty » March 13th 2019, 4:25pm

Sure, I'm in although here in the northeast, my Glycine has hardly changed at all since temps and humidity have been low. Maybe we can set up a thread so we can all post in synch.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby biglove » March 13th 2019, 7:43pm

Wish I had the spare funds. Have been eyeballing a Chinese broze to see what the horrible Louisiana summers would do to it.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » March 13th 2019, 10:24pm

Interestingly, for many months, I've been wearing a Doc Johnson™ El Bronzo! Arab Strap, with the SuperFit™ cock ring, made of Corinthian Bronze™. Now, many who have met me in real life realize that I'm not exactly a skinny jeans model in a Banana Republic catalogue; I like my food, I like my jake, and as a result, the environment down man sausage way in conjurer country is pretty tropic. It's humid Down There, and my balls sweat A LOT. But, the SuperFit™ cock ring has little to no patina, and I believe that this is due to Doc Johnson™, who really should win the Nobel Prize for Medicine, using plenty of zinc Down There.

So, for all you patina fans, put that in your meerschaums and smoke it.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » March 17th 2019, 3:37pm

biglove wrote:Wish I had the spare funds. Have been eyeballing a Chinese broze to see what the horrible Louisiana summers would do to it.

I’ve been looking for one too. I don’t want to pay a lot of money for one and finding one in a 39 or 40mm is proving to be tough. I don’t want to pay too much money because I’m skeptical if I will like it or not.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » March 21st 2019, 3:46pm

Well, I couldn't resist and so, I picked up a 2nd bronze Glycine Combat Sub..this one with the blue dial and strap, brown bezel..very interested in tracking the patina progress on these 2 subs and my 2 Evants...picked this one up from watchgooroos on Ebay, which I'm pretty sure is the same company as Glycine-Direct...in fact, my receipt is stamped Glycine-Direct...really think these babies are good bargains for what we get..
Last edited by Thunder1 on March 21st 2019, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » March 21st 2019, 4:24pm

That is absolutely gorgeous. Wow!

Sent you a FB message Svaglic.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » March 21st 2019, 5:32pm

Very nice watch.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » March 21st 2019, 5:58pm

It's okay ;)
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » March 22nd 2019, 5:08pm

Thunder1 wrote:Well, I couldn't resist and so, I picked up a 2nd bronze Glycine Combat Sub..this one with the blue dial and strap, brown bezel..very interested in tracking the patina progress on these 2 subs and my 2 Evants...picked this one up from watchgooroos on Ebay, which I'm pretty sure is the same company as Glycine-Direct...in fact, my receipt is stamped Glycine-Direct...really think these babies are good bargains for what we get..

That sir, is one handsome watch. Even though I have a Goldeneye in pvd steel already, that bronze is really the cat's ass. Very tempting.
Two, two the lily white boys clothed all in green oh
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Rusty » March 23rd 2019, 7:52am

I like it, Thunder. Enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » March 23rd 2019, 4:55pm

Thanx guys..
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Daily and Weekly Deals