Complete Seiko Buying Guide

Complete Seiko Buying Guide

Postby koimaster » March 12th 2019, 4:18pm

The Seiko catalog is massive, its reach global, its diversity unrivaled. Seiko’s watches occupy many price points, from the rock solid sport watches you’ll find at Walmart up to handcrafted Grand Seikos costing five figures at swanky boutiques. Some of the tastiest Seikos lie in the middle tiers, particularly the bang-for-buck Prospex (sport/tool) and Presage (dress/retro) lines.

Seiko’s technology is equally diverse, with movements ranging from old-school mechanical calibers to GPS-enabled solar powered quartz units that set themselves when crossing time zones. Seiko, quite literally, offers something for everyone.

Seiko is constantly releasing limited editions and/or market-specific models, and watch nerds in the USA are particularly charmed by the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) designation. Seiko aficionados tend to huddle in one corner, sometimes around just one model, like the revered sub-$200 Seiko SKX007 diver or the handsome JDM-only Seiko Alpinist.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/03/11/the-c ... rkfeCi2kJ8

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Complete Seiko Buying Guide

Postby bedlam » March 12th 2019, 5:01pm

Thanks Koi 8-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby foghorn » March 12th 2019, 6:38pm

New releases and versions all the time.l get emails from Gnomon constantly on the "new" Seikos. "Padi", "Save the Ocean" blah , blah.
Have they jumped the shark?
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 12th 2019, 7:48pm

foghorn wrote:New releases and versions all the time.l get emails from Gnomon constantly on the "new" Seikos. "Padi", "Save the Ocean" blah , blah.

Yeah, when it comes to the cheaper stuff. But GS is a club I'm scheming to become a member of - handle a few and the perception of the brand changes in a flash.
"The thing is, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, when I met them, they were across the hall, and they don’t get high; they just eat a lot of pizza." - Norman Durkee
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » March 12th 2019, 9:46pm

TemerityB wrote:
foghorn wrote:New releases and versions all the time.l get emails from Gnomon constantly on the "new" Seikos. "Padi", "Save the Ocean" blah , blah.

Yeah, when it comes to the cheaper stuff. But GS is a club I'm scheming to become a member of - handle a few and the perception of the brand changes in a flash.

I would buy another GS over Rolex, if I were going to spend that kind of cash. Prefer Omega over Rolex, too.

Sorry, Smells. 😜
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby relaxer7 » March 13th 2019, 4:18am

I'm looking down at my Explorer II and thinking that a GS GMT might have to make it's way into zee list!
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » March 13th 2019, 5:39am

relaxer7 wrote:I'm looking down at my Explorer II and thinking that a GS GMT might have to make it's way into zee list!

The new 9F GMT is some seriously nice kit
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Return to Seiko