AMCHPR China 2018/04/26 - Jinan *Day 2* -- b/width warning!

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AMCHPR China 2018/04/26 - Jinan *Day 2* -- b/width warning!

Postby AlbertaTime » March 3rd 2019, 10:24pm

There is the barest hint of horology in this post, but otherwise, it's just me being a tourist and moseying around Jinan's Baotu Spring, Yingxiongshan/Hero Mountain Culture Market, the Furong Jie food and market area, and the Quancheng Road area at night...

https://www.amchpr.com/trip-5---april-26th-2018-jinan-day-2.html.

Thanks for the ongoing support and interest; I appreciate the kind comments on the last post!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AMCHPR China 2018/04/26 - Jinan *Day 2* -- b/width warni

Postby Mark1 » March 3rd 2019, 11:32pm

Great stuff as always. I noticed some of the signs had an English translation. Do many people on the street speak some English? Wondering how easy in general it is to communicate with the people you encounter.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » March 3rd 2019, 11:35pm

As I said in your previous thread, A-T, I'll be goddamned if you're not an artist at heart. Your daytime pics of sunstruck city vistas remind me of Edward Hopper; your nighttime shots of Juan de Chirico, only without the dread.

Bravo!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » March 4th 2019, 7:51pm

Mark1 wrote:Great stuff as always. I noticed some of the signs had an English translation. Do many people on the street speak some English? Wondering how easy in general it is to communicate with the people you encounter.

Mark, some folks speak English, but outside Beijing or Shanghai or Guangzhou, English is not that common--but English signs are everywhere, and almost everybody has a cell phone with a translator app (Baidu Fanyi for Chinese folks, but I use it, too, because it's good) and so communication isn't really ever a problem, now.

Mind you, on my earlier trips, like in 2011, for example, I didn't have a cell phone and neither did lots of other folks, and I still got by easy enough. Smart people make things work, and Chinese folks are pretty sharp. People want to help, so...

conjurer wrote:As I said in your previous thread, A-T, I'll be goddamned if you're not an artist at heart. Your daytime pics of sunstruck city vistas remind me of Edward Hopper; your nighttime shots of Juan de Chirico, only without the dread. Bravo!

Thanks, John. I like shooting, and I like what I'm shooting, so maybe that my heart's in it helps :-)

I always hope I'm not overdoing it with the photos, but I don't want folks to miss anything, if I can help it.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » March 5th 2019, 8:50am

Better than a tour book for pics and more educational as well.

Once I retired I lost touch with my few Chinese acquaintances while the Thai portion of my social media has ballooned. One of these days we'll have to get falling-down drunk on neutral territory like Hong Kong or Macau.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AlbertaTime » March 5th 2019, 11:13am

Hi Hawk, and thanks!

I'll be in Shenzhen in June 19 to 23rd. Maybe we can work something around then. I'd love to get together with you.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » March 5th 2019, 11:39am

I really like these posts...
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » March 5th 2019, 11:53am

AlbertaTime wrote:Hi Hawk, and thanks!

I'll be in Shenzhen in June 19 to 23rd. Maybe we can work something around then. I'd love to get together with you.

We're definitely headed over some time this year. I've noted the above and will try to direct the timing accordingly.

If memory serves Shenzhen is almost "might as well be Hong Kong" - like across the river or something like that?
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » March 5th 2019, 6:01pm

I'm out of cultural insights and ways to describe the excellent imagery, so I'll just comment on the photography tech-shit aspects. I started out with a Pentax Spotmatic F and moved on to a Nikkormat and Nikon F (pre FTn finder, no meter, that is). When I was young, on a good day I could hand hold 1/15th and get replicable results.

Subjects were apparent although a little fuzzy just around the edges. I adopted the defect as my style vs the tripods or fill flash (that was a real headache) and the schlepping and adjusting and unspontaneousness of trying to make a set up look candid, not unlike but not really like Doseneau did. Well, to a Doseneau, I was no Doseneau.

I am not a big fan, use as much film as I can; now that the sensors are just like film but worse, man, that image stabilization, huh? Digital's greatest gift IMO. I used to think it was infinite film, however, that led to infinite editing which led to significant quality image loss due to editing fatigue. I had to work hard to get back to discerning and try to limit myself to 4-6 rolls worth for an outing, or per day on a trip.

Gimbals are still required for the very best vid, but the VR application in stills seems bottomless, so to speak. Just to be ridiculous, did a little nite scenery with existing light from the inside of closed store's and bar's windows, poorly lit doorways and storefronts and whatnot- as much as 8 seconds- even I can be stiff like tripod but worse for 8 - 10 seconds and I got really sharp results.

It will never be as good as Kodachrome 25 again. Never.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » March 5th 2019, 9:32pm

nimbleboy wrote:I really like these posts...

Thank you! It's a fair trade--I like making them :-)

Hawk wrote:If memory serves Shenzhen is almost "might as well be Hong Kong" - like across the river or something like that?

Shenzhen is close enough to HK! Or you could visit the Shenzhen Watch & Clock Fair... ;-)

3Flushes wrote:It will never be as good as Kodachrome 25 again. Never.

I never did any real film photography, except for an old Kodak Hawkeye/120 or Fiesta/127 as a kid in the late 50s and very early 60s, which hardly counts. But my Grandmother was (in Canada) a fairly well known and highly regarded nature photographer (35mm, always).

That said, I shot and edited lots of early smaller format (2" and 3/4") video, though, professionally in the later 70s and early 80s, which, as it turns out was probably a better primer for modern digital photography than film would have been. My first "better" digital was an Olympus C4000. Now I have a Canon M50/APS-C and a few lenses, when I want to shoot something like a "real" photographer. But I've never taken that travelling.

Most of my 2011 travel shooting was a Lumix DMZ-TC3 pocket cam, and some C4000.

2013-2015 was mostly shot with a Canon S110 Powershot, with some use of a Lumix DMZ-TC3, depending on lighting. The Lumix was great in low light.

I took the S110 and an Olympus SZ-12 along in 2015, but that was also the first year I also did some phone shooting, with a Samsung S4. The zoom on the phone sucked, so I used the Olympus for zoom shots, and the S110 when I wanted as good quality as I could get in a point/shoot. Canon colour is lovely.

2018, however, almost everything was the Samsung S8+, and that's what shot at least 99% of what you see here, today. I was mighty pleased with what the S8+ accomplished, but zoom on phones is still a loser's game. All the video is S8+, hand held. For the very few times I wanted zoom, I again used the Olympus SZ-12--but I hardly did that at all.

I'm thinking the almost-released new Samsung S10+ for 2019, with maybe a small 1" sensor compact jobbie for zoom. We'll see.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels