Another automatic Vic on the way. It came in!

Another automatic Vic on the way. It came in!

Postby mley1 » February 10th 2019, 12:48pm

I've been searching for a reasonably priced(read poor bastard looking for a bargain) automatic chronograph from Victorinox. You can get their quartz models dime a dozen, but the auto's are a bit more difficult to find, especially locally. So, I've been on the hunt on Ebay. I found one, a 241188.1 blue dial with the ETA/Valjoux 7753 movement in it. Seller was quick on communication, 100% positive rating although he seemed like a regular guy just off loading a watch. I liked what he had to say about the watch. So, I snatched it in the last ten seconds of the auction. There were two other bidders. Seller says he'll get it out to me on Wednesday of this week as he's working late Monday and Tuesday. No problem. Here's a couple pics. I'll get more when it arrives.

Lords, what are your opinions on the 7753 movement? Everything I've read seems to indicate it's a good movement, and is being used in a lot of chrono's. However, never owning one, I'd like to hear opinions good or bad on it.

Last edited by mley1 on February 15th 2019, 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Re: Another automatic Vic on the way.

Postby Thunder1 » February 10th 2019, 1:07pm

You're cooking w/ gas, sir..that is quite a piece and deserves plenty of wrist time...well, the Valjoux 775x movement is the workhorse of the modern mechanical chrono world..tough as nails, parts in ample supply...and it is famous for it's 'wobble'..you done good..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » February 10th 2019, 1:10pm

Nice! Pretty colourways, too.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » February 10th 2019, 1:13pm

It's a fine movement. Jut be aware that the date is changed by the small "push button" at 10 o'clock instead of the crown.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » February 10th 2019, 7:00pm

foghorn wrote:It's a fine movement. Jut be aware that the date is changed by the small "push button" at 10 o'clock instead of the crown.

What he said. And be careful how you change the date when you set the time, but I'm sure you know that already. But just in case:
“Bob says hello," he told the stars. The Argo II sailed into the night.” ― Rick Riordan, The House Of Hades
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » February 10th 2019, 8:36pm

I like that bezel and have never had any issue with a Valjoux movement. They put them in lots of pricey watches. In fact I had some parts needing replacement during spa visit and the brand had used old JLC mvmt before switching to 7750 which would have cost a small stack of Benjamins.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tomsimac » February 10th 2019, 8:43pm

It’s super nice
My first 7750 was a Tutima 7754 as I remember. Small changes, but this was a triple gmt or ?
Forgot. So much better than some watches that bought the movement when they were bundled in boxes.. like Ocean7 got once. You got a jewel here... price please. I’m jealous.
CONGRATS
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » February 10th 2019, 9:24pm

TemerityB wrote:
foghorn wrote:It's a fine movement. Jut be aware that the date is changed by the small "push button" at 10 o'clock instead of the crown.

What he said. And be careful how you change the date when you set the time, but I'm sure you know that already. But just in case:

Also, since you're buying it second hand, make sure you cycle the chrono a few times, to make sure it's OK.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby mley1 » February 11th 2019, 2:38pm

Thanks fella's. I've become a fan of Victorinox watches since I've been wearing that first auto I got that's a Vic. Seemed to be very well made. I didn't have a chronograph. So, I went on the hunt for the automatic chrono that Vic puts out. What I found was a lot of quartz models, and very few of the auto's locally. So, Ebay became my hunting grounds. The wife is ok with my new hobby, as long as I keep their cost reasonable.

I've developed a rule of thumb that I've gone by in my hobbies. I try to buy each piece for half it's retail value, or less, preferably less. I never pay retail, on anything. I'll buy used as long it's in good shape. And, especially if it's something I've been hunting and haven't found at a reasonable price(IE-half retail).

I never thought I'd find an Airboss in any form for less than 500.00. I've found a few models on the gray market in that price range. I just didn't like their styling or dial color. It seemed a lot of the chrono's had sub dials that cut off numbers or were spaced a little weird for my taste. Then I found the Victorinox Airboss Mach 6 line up. And, I fell in love. I decided I wanted a blue dialed one. I found a few that were NIBWT, but were pushing a thousand dollars or more. It seems their original MSRP was close to 2000.00. At least that's what I was reading. So, I just set up a search for it, and bingo. One pre-owned one turned up that had two bidders and was 280.00 with only a little over a day left. So, I sat on it. Then, as I was shopping in the mall with my wife, I snatched it in the last ten seconds. I put a max bid of 350 on it and got it for 345.00 plus shipping. The only issue that I could see with the watch is the leather strap, as it's faded a bit. The seller assured me all functions worked perfectly, and that it was in excellent condition. So, we shall see. I'm hoping to have it in hand by the end of the week.

I ain't sure if 345.00 is a great deal or not, as I've never owned an automatic Chrono by Victorinox. From what I'm reading online and on Ebay, it would seem I did ok.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Postby tomsimac » February 11th 2019, 4:25pm

One of the fun learning experiences is buying new leather straps

I bought some beauties in England, OEM maker I found in a watch magazine
Very well priced. Ask around, get something different but keep original

Its a pretty good buy for the price.
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby mley1 » February 15th 2019, 2:36pm

Well, my new to me Victorinox Airboss Mach 6 with the blue dial came in. It's nicer than I anticipated. The blue dial is beautiful. There's not a mark on the case or Sapphire that I can see anywhere. It literally looks new. The only issue was the band was faded to a gray color. I don't care for the gray color. So, I died it black with some leather die that I had on hand. I died the threads as well. So, the whole band is black. It looks pretty good, at least to me it does. The deployant clasp on the band works better than I thought it would, and it's comfortable. All the chrono functions are good. The lume is pretty good. And, it feels good on the wrist. I really like it. The sellers description was spot on. I feel like I got a bargain.

The colors on the dial sorta go from navy blue to a purplish color, depending on how the light plays on it. It's very beautiful. The sub dials are black. It's not too cluttered, and is easy to read.

Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Re: Another automatic Vic on the way. It came in!

Postby biglove » February 15th 2019, 2:50pm

Damn but that dial is well executed. Gives me watch wood.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby mley1 » February 15th 2019, 3:13pm

Thanks. It was easier to set the watch than I thought.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Postby Thunder1 » February 15th 2019, 4:22pm

The Watch Gods are smiling down upon you, sir..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » February 15th 2019, 5:47pm

That is a beautiful tank, just reeks toughness, good job.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » February 15th 2019, 6:10pm

Thumbs up. Good job.
“Bob says hello," he told the stars. The Argo II sailed into the night.” ― Rick Riordan, The House Of Hades
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » February 15th 2019, 6:31pm

Yup, looks great. Hey, wait a fucking minute--dying the watch strap? Why the fuck didn't any of you stupid bastards think this up first?

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » February 15th 2019, 8:48pm

VSA makes a fine watch, yours is no exception. Enjoy wearing it Sir.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » February 16th 2019, 3:09am

Very cool looking, blue always makes for nice sun ray dials. That watch would look great on a canvas or ballistic nylon strap- not a big fan of NATOs but there's some cool padded traditionals out there. In nice shape like that for less than $400 is a hell of a nice catch.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby mley1 » February 16th 2019, 6:24am

Got a lume shot last night. It lights up nicely. Very easy to read. And, when I got up at 5am this morning I could still read it with no problems at all. Not bad lume.

Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Return to Your New Watch