Frank Robinson

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Frank Robinson

Postby TemerityB » February 8th 2019, 9:57am

Tough as nails, great hitter, wonderful man when I had the privilege of meeting him. When I was a kid, to be the scariest hitters to watch in the batter's box were Dick Allen, Frank Robinson, Frank Howard, Willie McCovey, and Hank Aaron. Robinson could do it all, and while most people today remember him as a manager, I still picture him in an Orioles uniform. God almighty ... these are the players from when I was a kid, and they're leaving us now. Somber.

Here's a really great piece from baseball author Tom Boswell.
https://www.nydailynews.com/national-sp ... story.html
Avoid YouTube (hi, Thailand "vacationers"). One "expert" was talking about a quartz Tissot model "which, no doubt, has an inexpensive Ronda quartz movement inside." I rest my case.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Frank Robinson

Postby foghorn » February 8th 2019, 10:49am

Always an Oriole to me too. Class act all the way.

RIP

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » February 8th 2019, 11:34am

TemerityB wrote:Tough as nails, great hitter, wonderful man when I had the privilege of meeting him. When I was a kid, to be the scariest hitters to watch in the batter's box were Dick Allen, Frank Robinson, Frank Howard, Willie McCovey, and Hank Aaron. Robinson could do it all, and while most people today remember him as a manager, I still picture him in an Orioles uniform. God almighty ... these are the players from when I was a kid, and they're leaving us now. Somber.

So true..one of the all-time greats..yeah, I saw a lot of the Orioles as a kid, as this was pre-cable and they were always contending..the other guy like that for me was Brooks Robinson..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » February 8th 2019, 11:59am

Thunder1 wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Tough as nails, great hitter, wonderful man when I had the privilege of meeting him. When I was a kid, to be the scariest hitters to watch in the batter's box were Dick Allen, Frank Robinson, Frank Howard, Willie McCovey, and Hank Aaron. Robinson could do it all, and while most people today remember him as a manager, I still picture him in an Orioles uniform. God almighty ... these are the players from when I was a kid, and they're leaving us now. Somber.

So true..one of the all-time greats..yeah, I saw a lot of the Orioles as a kid, as this was pre-cable and they were always contending..the other guy like that for me was Brooks Robinson..

You got that right - it always seemed like the Orioles were either in it, or winning it. What a bunch of great players came and went - the Robinsons (Brooks' post-season in '70 is still the stuff of legend, as was that 108 win regular season), big Boog Powell, smooth Mark Belanger, Blair and Buford in the outfield; even though the Mets beat 'em in 1969, I think anyone with a brain would look on paper and think the Orioles were the better team. And that pitching ... damn. Palmer, McNally, Cuellar ... one of the best starting staffs I ever saw. This is what a baseball nut I am - I forget my own birthday some years, but I can write something like this in two minutes. I love baseball, can't quit it.
Avoid YouTube (hi, Thailand "vacationers"). One "expert" was talking about a quartz Tissot model "which, no doubt, has an inexpensive Ronda quartz movement inside." I rest my case.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » February 8th 2019, 12:32pm

TemerityB wrote:
Thunder1 wrote:

You got that right - it always seemed like the Orioles were either in it, or winning it. What a bunch of great players came and went - the Robinsons (Brooks' post-season in '70 is still the stuff of legend, as was that 108 win regular season), big Boog Powell, smooth Mark Belanger, Blair and Buford in the outfield; even though the Mets beat 'em in 1969, I think anyone with a brain would look on paper and think the Orioles were the better team. And that pitching ... damn. Palmer, McNally, Cuellar ... one of the best starting staffs I ever saw. This is what a baseball nut I am - I forget my own birthday some years, but I can write something like this in two minutes. I love baseball, can't quit it.

Palmer, McNally, Cuellar ?...wow, what ancient history..I'm like that with the 'boys..I'm already going through cold turkey, waiting for the draft, then the pre-season, and then...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Rusty » February 8th 2019, 6:20pm

For several decades, the AAA club of the Orioles was the Rochester Red Wings of the International League. It is a community owned club and both my younger son and I own shares in the team. It was a very exciting time when the club, at the request of the O’s, hired Frank Robinson as manager.

If you look at his numbers, he rates among the very top players of all time.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » February 8th 2019, 7:31pm

Rusty wrote:For several decades, the AAA club of the Orioles was the Rochester Red Wings of the International League.

And who can forget the 33 inning game with the Pawtucket Red Sox back in the day!!!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby tomsimac » February 9th 2019, 9:43am

He was great. I think most ball players with the same last name were great too.
Icons and civil rights pioneers
Maybe there is a theme here...... may they be never forgotten
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Rusty » February 9th 2019, 10:32am

foghorn wrote:
Rusty wrote:For several decades, the AAA club of the Orioles was the Rochester Red Wings of the International League.

And who can forget the 33 inning game with the Pawtucket Red Sox back in the day!!!

The Red Wings GM, Bob Drew was calling that game from the pressbox and NEVER took a bathroom break... or so he said.
Rusty
Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else