Four photos, four conflicts.

Four photos, four conflicts.

Postby bobbee » February 9th 2019, 4:31am

These photographs cross over more than half a century, yet have two common themes.
They are all taken in times of conflict, and all feature wrist watches.
The first shows staff of the 1st. Brigade of the Hazara Field Force, and were commanded by Colonel Sym of the 5th. Gurkhas.
As you can see, three of the officers are wearing wristlets, with pocket watches held within them. The amazing thing about this photo, which I found in 2014 whilst searching for the earliest ever photo of men wearing a wrist watch, is it is from 1888! For some time it was the earliest known such, until two more were found from 1879.

The second is an albumen print owned by me, and shows officers resting in camp. The gent seated far left is wearing a wristlet on his left wrist, the one reclining far right is wearing one on his right wrist.
This is a rare photograph from the Boer War, circa 1900. The photo came with another of the men rounding up sheep on horseback, probably stolen from Afrikaaners.

The third is a photo postcard I also own, popular with serving men in wartime.
On the rear is written "John W. Davis", with no message or address. I can only assume it was never sent for some reason. It is of a doughboy (U.S.) from WW1, circa 1917. I have an advert for the watch he is wearing that dates to this time.

The last is a group of special forces operatives known as "Pathfinders". These men are synchronising watches prior to a night drop, Circa 1942.
More about the pathfinders:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(military)

C.1900.

C.1917.

"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

bobbee
Master of Time

Re: Four photos, four conflicts.

Postby Thunder1 » February 9th 2019, 6:16am

Some interesting wrist history here...a little surprised to learn 'wristlets' went as far back as 1879..cool info..
Last edited by Thunder1 on February 9th 2019, 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » February 9th 2019, 7:57am

Neat photos. I remember as kids synchronizing our watches when we played war.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » February 9th 2019, 8:24am

Brave guys.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » February 9th 2019, 8:27am

Very interesting, thank you for this research.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk