Tourneau rebranding to Bucherer in 2020

Tourneau rebranding to Bucherer in 2020

Postby koimaster » December 7th 2018, 10:41am

https://usa.watchpro.com/exclusive-tour ... pnukmDjmpE

Should be interesting. Not even going to try to Butcher the new name.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Tourneau rebranding to Bucherer in 2020

Postby foghorn » December 7th 2018, 10:50am

My local Tourneau is closing.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 7th 2018, 11:33am

I feel for my friends in NYC and LI. I'm sure they don't know whether to shit or go blind as far as their job statuses.

This is a horrible move. The Tourneau name means something, at least around here.

Tell you what: I think Bucherer is a great brand. Yet, it doesn't mean bupkis to most people, even watch fans. My local store replaced some lower-priced brands with two huge cases full of full priced Bucherer, and a staffer told me they're going over like turtle soup would at McDonald's.

This would be a good time for another retailer to specialize in watches, because Tourneau/Bucherer is about to become the next Sleepys/Mattress Firm.
I bought a dive watch from them that literally had “dive” in the name. The instructions said not to dive with it - it was only meant to LOOK like a dive watch. It was also fast by more that a minute per day. Garbage. Never again. - IWG buyer on Reddit
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » December 7th 2018, 12:45pm

I disagree TB. Tourneau has been notorious for not paying watchmakers on a timely basis but their volume makes it hard to say no. It was inevitable their debt kept growing.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Rusty » December 7th 2018, 4:46pm

foghorn wrote:My local Tourneau is closing.

Boooooooo! It was one of my favorite browsing spots when my wife was off shopping elsewhere.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby monster623az » December 7th 2018, 8:47pm

Awesome! Changing to another name that I can not even try to pronounce. Sadly the only one is 3 hours from me and ive only visited once.
monster623az
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » December 7th 2018, 10:10pm

TemerityB wrote:I feel for my friends in NYC and LI. I'm sure they don't know whether to shit or go blind as far as their job statuses.

This is a horrible move. The Tourneau name means something, at least around here.

Tell you what: I think Bucherer is a great brand. Yet, it doesn't mean bupkis to most people, even watch fans. My local store replaced some lower-priced brands with two huge cases full of full priced Bucherer, and a staffer told me they're going over like turtle soup would at McDonald's.

This would be a good time for another retailer to specialize in watches, because Tourneau/Bucherer is about to become the next Sleepys/Mattress Firm.

This is tough news indeed for the lowly watch salespeople. Indeed, the absurd hubris of people in the top level of retail is breathtaking--"We're not making same-store sales?? Well, fuck it! Let's sell more expensive shit!"
Cream rises to the top while jackoffs only leave puddles of rancid jizz.

--Temerity, regarding Bazinga!.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 8th 2018, 2:25pm

conjurer wrote:
TemerityB wrote:I feel for my friends in NYC and LI. I'm sure they don't know whether to shit or go blind as far as their job statuses.

This is tough news indeed for the lowly watch salespeople. Indeed, the absurd hubris of people in the top level of retail is breathtaking--"We're not making same-store sales?? Well, fuck it! Let's sell more expensive shit!"

Well that's it in a nutshell. As someone who spent his formative years in retail management before changing careers, the only thing I know for sure about retailing is that there's always some new empty suit with a better idea, which usually leads to shuttered doors and disappointed customers.
I bought a dive watch from them that literally had “dive” in the name. The instructions said not to dive with it - it was only meant to LOOK like a dive watch. It was also fast by more that a minute per day. Garbage. Never again. - IWG buyer on Reddit
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby boscoe » December 11th 2018, 3:19pm

I THINK CHANGING THE NAME IS A TOUR-NO-NO.
But I say bring back Swiss Wutch Internashunal
boscoe
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk