IWC Expands Pilot Lineup

All things Swiss

IWC Expands Pilot Lineup

Postby Racer-X » December 5th 2018, 5:53pm

"Bearing in mind IWC Schaffhausen’s focus on Pilot’s Watches in 2017, some eyebrows may be raised when the brand again turns to this collection at SIHH 2019. However, with the 80th anniversary of the start of the Second World War being remembered next year, plus IWC’s close affinity to aviation-themed timepieces, the choice to introduce a set of new watches that take inspiration from the iconic Spitfire – one of the greatest emblems of courage, fortitude and heroism during wartime – is less than surprising.”

https://www.revolution.watch/pre-sihh-2019-iwc-reaches-for-the-skies/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: IWC Expands Pilot Lineup

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 5th 2018, 6:31pm

Hmmm, which one of these looks the best? Yyyyy...ummm...none.

The Timezoner wouldn't be bad, if not for the size of it. 46mm? Who the fuck needs a world timer that big? In comparison, even the 43mm Breitling Navitimer 8 Unitime doesn't look ridiculous. The tinted lume doesn't match it in the slightest. It's not a reissue of a watch with radium lume, so what the fuck's the purpose of it?

As for the Spitfire chronograph... While a tool of war isn't meant to be beautiful, the Spitfire was beautiful. And, the sound of the Rolls-Royce Merlin isn't something one can forget. You'd think that a company like IWC would commemorate it with a proper watch. But no. Instead, they release another bronze toy, which at best commemorates the event of the kid of someone in IWC's design department having fucked up the assembly and painting of the 1:72 scale Spitfire kit by Airfix.

Then there's the "dimmed", "blacked out", or whatthefucknot Top Gun rattrapante. What, oh, what the fuck is the point of a pilot's watch that you can't bloody read? Aaaarghhh.

And the I(nvicta)WC Reserve Big Pillock's Wartch "Little Poofter" Edition Constipation Force Turdbillion... What is that? What the fuck is that?! Ghastly pile of shite. Bring ein Flammenwerfer, and kill this thing with fire before it lays eggs.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » December 5th 2018, 10:59pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As for the Spitfire chronograph... While a tool of war isn't meant to be beautiful, the Spitfire was beautiful. And, the sound of the Rolls-Royce Merlin isn't something one can forget. You'd think that a company like IWC would commemorate it with a proper watch. But no. Instead, they release another bronze toy, which at best commemorates the event of the kid of someone in IWC's design department having fucked up the assembly and painting of the 1:72 scale Spitfire kit by Airfix.

You know, you Brits really have to get over the Spitfire one of these days very soon. OK, so it was a nice looking airplane, and it could shoot down a Bf-109, and it saved England in the Battle of Britain, blah blah blah. You compare it to a P-51 Mustang, however, the Spitfire looks like the kind of airplane that sits down when it goes pee!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 6th 2018, 1:40pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As for the Spitfire chronograph... While a tool of war isn't meant to be beautiful, the Spitfire was beautiful. And, the sound of the Rolls-Royce Merlin isn't something one can forget. You'd think that a company like IWC would commemorate it with a proper watch. But no. Instead, they release another bronze toy, which at best commemorates the event of the kid of someone in IWC's design department having fucked up the assembly and painting of the 1:72 scale Spitfire kit by Airfix.

You know, you Brits really have to get over the Spitfire one of these days very soon. OK, so it was a nice looking airplane, and it could shoot down a Bf-109, and it saved England in the Battle of Britain, blah blah blah. You compare it to a P-51 Mustang, however, the Spitfire looks like the kind of airplane that sits down when it goes pee!!

Compare it to the P-51? Which, for that matter, was powered by the Merlin, built on a license from RR by Packard?

P-51s and Spitfires aside, that IWC would suck cock even if it was a tribute to something as nice as the F4U Corsair, or something as fucking ghastly as the Brewster Buffalo.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Swiss Watches