Review of Seiko 5 SNK809

Review of Seiko 5 SNK809

Postby Racer-X » December 4th 2018, 12:53am

"There’s almost a countless number of watches falling into the value proposition category. We have many articles and reviews covering them, from microbrands financing via Kickstarter to established brands offering compelling deals. The Marloe Haskell is a good example of microbrand piece with a Swiss ETA, coming in well under USD 1,000. The new Timex Marlin Automatics have classic styling, reliable Miyota movements and a price under USD 300 (and it’s their first automatic line since 1982). Even Hamilton can make a great USD 400 watch with hand-wound movement. All are great value propositions in their respective price tiers and easy to recommend.

There’s a specific watch, however, that offers an in-house automatic movement, exhibition caseback, day/date complication and clean military aesthetic from a major brand established back in 1881, with still involvement of the founding family – for only USD 100 (and easily found for less). The Seiko 5 SNK809 is part of a broader series of Seiko 5 watches, but this particular model might have the most mainstream appeal with a universally sized 38mm steel case, conservative colour scheme and price that most watch enthusiasts can afford. It does have its flaws, but arguably offers the most complete watch package for the price. All of that arguably falls into our definition of “The Cheapest High-End Watch” – and that isn’t the case for all the aforementioned watches! Period!"

https://monochrome-watches.com/review-of-seiko-5-snk809-a-lot-of-a-mechanical-watch-for-less-than-usd-100/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Review of Seiko 5 SNK809

Postby foghorn » December 4th 2018, 6:17am

The perfect "you know the watch" watch.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » December 4th 2018, 5:54pm

These are great. I bought one way back and my wife noticed it shortly after. I have never been able to get it back and it remains her daily wear years later.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby artman » December 4th 2018, 6:02pm

I have the blue 807 and love it. Nice watch, great value.
artman
Master of Time

Return to Daily and Weekly Deals