The Next Cult Classic from Citizen?

The Next Cult Classic from Citizen?

Postby koimaster » November 8th 2018, 9:54am

Hands-On with the Promaster Tough

As longtime proponents of mechanical watchmaking, WatchTime doesn’t typically cover the average quartz release. However, when it comes to Citizen, our editorial team feels a bit differently. Personally, a Citizen Eco-Drive served as my entry point into the watch world and I know that story will ring true for a countless number of other collectors. This year has, in particular, been a strong one for the Japanese brand given its ongoing centennial celebration that has resulted in a number of new releases focused on heritage, the unveiling of exciting innovations, and partnerships with pop culture goliaths.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/citi ... iew-green/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Next Cult Classic from Citizen?

Postby 3Flushes » November 8th 2018, 11:21am

IDK about cult classic- cool watch for folks who're gonna give it a beating and would rather have an analog watch or are just sick'a their G-Shocks- Perfect for XMAS for my nephew in the Navy--- great cop'ers or firefighter's watch- pop it in the Duluth Trading Co. catalog.

A strap I actually like also, to.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 8th 2018, 11:35am

Not bad. But until they run it over with a tank or drop it ouy a 2 story window I'll go with a VSA Inox.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby fatman » November 8th 2018, 4:31pm

I like it, its durable, reliable, clean looking and it's a nice size. The money seems a bit high but it's justifiable.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » November 8th 2018, 5:09pm

Not a bad watch, but Logan R. Baker's picture always makes me want to hammer a Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » November 8th 2018, 5:21pm

Looks cheap.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » November 8th 2018, 5:26pm

More than decent...quite interested actually :geek:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby iwasbanned » November 8th 2018, 7:03pm

stupid tiny date window
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby labman » November 8th 2018, 9:45pm

Nice looking Eco-Drive - not sure $425-$495 nice. :scratch:
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby SynMike » November 8th 2018, 10:59pm

Eco Drive doesn't work for me. I have 30 watches in regular rotation. When I am not wearing them they are in drawers. It's not worth changing my habits to deal with having to keep it out in the light to keep it charged.

Also, Eco Drive batteries are expensive to change. It's convenient to not need a battery for 10-12 years. But when it does die, and it will die, replacement is expensive. The battery itself (they call it a "capacitor" to avoid perceptions that it is just a battery) costs about $30 wholesale to the repair guy. It is often soldered in place. Add service time to do the repair. Replacement is going to cost you more than if you had normal batteries swapped every 2-3 years, especially if you do it yourself.

My 10 year old Eco Drive minute repeater needs a new rechargeable battery. But the battery costs more than the value of the watch.

No more Eco Drive or other Solar powered watches for me.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » November 8th 2018, 11:19pm

SynMike wrote:Eco Drive doesn't work for me. I have 30 watches in regular rotation. When I am not wearing them they are in drawers. It's not worth changing my habits to deal with having to keep it out in the light to keep it charged.

Also, Eco Drive batteries are expensive to change. It's convenient to not need a battery for 10-12 years. But when it does die, and it will die, replacement is expensive. The battery itself (they call it a "capacitor" to avoid perceptions that it is just a battery) costs about $30 wholesale to the repair guy. It is often soldered in place. Add service time to do the repair. Replacement is going to cost you more than if you had normal batteries swapped every 2-3 years, especially if you do it yourself.

My 10 year old Eco Drive minute repeater needs a new rechargeable battery. But the battery costs more than the value of the watch.

No more Eco Drive or other Solar powered watches for me.

I've had this issue with Eco-Drive myself. For a non-WIS who owns a single watch and wears it every day, Eco-Drive works great. Indeed, when somebody asks what's the best budget watch to buy for their non-WIS (read: normal person) spouse, I'll usually recommend a Citi with Eco-Drive. I've also heard similar stories from WISs who have owned Citis and cycled them through a rotation, and usually it ends up with the watch's capacitor dying well short of its claimed life.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » November 8th 2018, 11:21pm

SynMike wrote:Eco Drive doesn't work for me... When I am not wearing them they are in drawers. It's not worth changing my habits to deal with having to keep it out in the light to keep it charged.

Also, Eco Drive batteries are expensive to change.

Same here, although CItizen will replace the capacitors at no charge last I checked.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » November 9th 2018, 6:02am

Running strong since being purchased at Service Merchandise c.1995. Lives by a window and has never stopped. Anything is possible!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 9th 2018, 10:23am

foghorn wrote:Running strong since being purchased at Service Merchandise c.1995. Lives by a window and has never stopped. Anything is possible!

Well, there you go. All of my Citizens were delivered by UPS, which explains everything.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 9th 2018, 11:34am

foghorn wrote:Running strong since being purchased at Service Merchandise c.1995. Lives by a window and has never stopped. Anything is possible!

Yeah, right. Like they still make them like that, anymore!

I wonder if there's any other anecdotal evidence out there about charge and longevity.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » November 9th 2018, 12:19pm

I have owned this around 8 years, sometimes I forget to leave it face up and it runs down. If I then hold it up to a light bulb or a window in daytime, it starts right up and will get a good charge in just a few hours.
It dates to 1994.

"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 9th 2018, 2:37pm

foghorn wrote: Lives by a window and has never stopped.

Yep. I don't have anything quite that aged, but no problem with any of my Eco-Drives - Seiko solars, however, are another story; more landfill from Shinji Hattori, whose favorite R&B group is Gladys Knight & The Missing Pips.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » November 9th 2018, 2:43pm

I have a 1980's solar LCD, when the capacitor gave up I fitted ordinary watch batteries and it worked fine.

...until last month, when I put the wrong battery in, and when tightening the case back the display went CRACK!
Light still works...
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to Citizen