How Does Nomos Make A Beautiful Watch w/Manufacture Under 3K

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German

How Does Nomos Make A Beautiful Watch w/Manufacture Under 3K

Postby Racer-X » November 4th 2018, 4:15pm

"I was recently embroiled in a long and interesting conversation in Switzerland. The topic of this conversation, which occurred before the introduction of the Nomos Glashütte Neomatik, was: how can Nomos Glashütte make a watch with a manufacture movement for about €1,000 when – with the exception of perhaps the Swatch Group, a conglomerate that owns close to 200 companies – Swiss brands can’t?

The entry-level price at Nomos Glashütte is exactly €1,080 for the Club, a 36 mm stainless wristwatch with a hand-winding manufacture movement (Caliber Alpha) designed and made in-house. Yes, that’s right, an in-house manufacture hand-winding movement for under $1,500."

https://quillandpad.com/2018/11/04/how-does-nomos-glashutte-make-a-beautiful-watch-with-manufacture-movement-for-under-3000-reprise/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: How Does Nomos Make A Beautiful Watch w/Manufacture Unde

Postby bedlam » November 4th 2018, 5:06pm

Maybe they took some pointers from Seiko?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby foghorn » November 4th 2018, 5:58pm

bedlam wrote:Maybe they took some pointers from Seiko?

Nah-then there'd be a Club Padi or a Save the Ocean Ahoi and they'd all be 44 mm cases.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 4th 2018, 6:11pm

foghorn wrote:
bedlam wrote:Maybe they took some pointers from Seiko?

Nah-then there'd be a Club Padi or a Save the Ocean Ahoi and they'd all be 44 mm cases.

You say that like its bad 8-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby TemerityB » November 4th 2018, 8:47pm

Uh, segueing back from the department store watches: Just four years back I would have said that I'd never seen sleeker, better-built watches, real bangs for the bucks, than the Nomos line ... and no later did I say this than their prices exploded like a hamster in a microwave. I have nothing but scorn for the minimalist trend, which begat MVMT and DW and STFU - but the sheer quality of Nomos made me an instant fan. But that was then: don't know where, other than a couple of instances, you can grab a current Nomos model for under three K. The moment Nomos became popular, the gouge was in. I know, in-house, la de da: It's all prevented me from buying one, that's for sure.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Pubbie » November 5th 2018, 3:21am

The watch is very simple and basic, inexpensive to produce and distribute. However most of their simple and basic watches are €3k or more, which means they are generating super-profits from the Hodinkee generation.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » November 5th 2018, 6:26am

It's not a gang-it's a club

foghorn

Postby 3Flushes » November 5th 2018, 9:14am

foghorn wrote:It's not a gang-it's a club

Well, as TB notes re the $------- I wish I'd joined when you did.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » November 5th 2018, 9:27am

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 5th 2018, 9:34am

Is the Nomos Club Campus still worthless and ghey?? I'm just trying to stay on the trend over here.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 5th 2018, 12:53pm

Banned, I stand corrected, thanks. Basing my thoughts on what I found at my local AD, who apparently only sees fit to stock the pricier stuff.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby iwasbanned » November 5th 2018, 1:27pm

TemerityB wrote:Banned, I stand corrected, thanks. Basing my thoughts on what I found at my local AD, who apparently only sees fit to stock the pricier stuff.

Not trying to correct, trying to encourage you into getting one :-).

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 5th 2018, 3:18pm

iwasbanned wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Banned, I stand corrected, thanks. Basing my thoughts on what I found at my local AD, who apparently only sees fit to stock the pricier stuff.

Not trying to correct, trying to encourage you into getting one :-).

Man, banned - that is just mint. The one time I got to try on some Nomos, they just melted into the wrist; I'm assuming you are enjoying that one immensely.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » November 5th 2018, 5:02pm

conjurer wrote:Is the Nomos Club Campus still worthless and ghey?? I'm just trying to stay on the trend over here.

I wouldn't say it was worthless.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby Pubbie » November 6th 2018, 4:09am

Same in the UK. Seemingly entry-level watches at £2,000 or more that don’t offer anything more than the Clubs. I don’t understand the pricing policy - are the Bauhaus-style cases really that much more expensive to make?

Ten years ago a Tangente was £600; now they’re over £2k. It takes Rolex’s price inflation since 2006 or so, and fucks it furiously in both ears. So much for the smug, simpering “our cost base is low and we are just like really simple and natural” claims.
Last edited by Pubbie on November 8th 2018, 3:47am, edited 1 time in total.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Nomos - In house movement included under $3k

Postby koimaster » November 7th 2018, 2:44pm

How Does Nomos Glashütte Make A Beautiful Watch With Manufacture Movement For Under $3,000? (Reprise)

by Elizabeth Doerr

I was recently embroiled in a long and interesting conversation in Switzerland. The topic of this conversation, which occurred before the introduction of the Nomos Glashütte Neomatik, was: how can Nomos Glashütte make a watch with a manufacture movement for about €1,000 when – with the exception of perhaps the Swatch Group, a conglomerate that owns close to 200 companies – Swiss brands can’t?

The entry-level price at Nomos Glashütte is exactly €1,080 for the Club, a 36 mm stainless wristwatch with a hand-winding manufacture movement (Caliber Alpha) designed and made in-house. Yes, that’s right, an in-house manufacture hand-winding movement for under $1,500.

And let me also be very, very clear about the origin of Nomos Glashütte’s components: they are either made on premises, sourced in Germany, or sourced in Switzerland (such as the case and hands).

I know, you don’t have to ask me . . . how can this be possible?

Well, it is. And Nomos Glashütte proves it. I asked managing director Uwe Ahrendt to explain some of the details of this feat to me.

https://quillandpad.com/2018/11/04/how- ... 0-reprise/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Nomos - In house movement included under $3k

Postby foghorn » November 7th 2018, 2:47pm

foghorn

Re: Nomos - In house movement included under $3k

Postby koimaster » November 7th 2018, 2:53pm

foghorn wrote:*ahem*

viewtopic.php?p=443687#p443687

HEY!!! I am old. Do you really expect me to remember everything? Go crow at the sun or something. :)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to German Watches