Salutations

Salutations

Postby linnaxis » October 7th 2018, 5:37pm

New to the forum. I’ve been an avid watch collector for most of my life and have run through a lot of watches. When I was living overseas, making a good bit of money and pissing it all away on partying and watches I went through them like socks. Now that I’m married with children I keep it on the DL and have only retained a few (compared to my ‘eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die’ years).
-Linn

No longer in my possession (no, I generally did not make much, if anything, on the sales):
1967 Omega Speedmaster
IWC Mark XII
1995 Rolex Air King
1982 Rolex GMT
2002 Rolex GMT II
1967 Rolex 1680 (Sub date)
2003 Rolex Daytona (white dial)
2003 Rolex Explorer
2000 Rolex Exlplorer II
2000 Luminor Panerai Chrono (El Primero mvmt)
2002 Panerai Black Seal
2001 Luminor Panerai Destro
IWC Portuguese Chrono
IWC GST Aquatimner
IWC GST Chrono
1997 Rolex 14060 (Sub no-date)
2002 Rolex Datejust
AP Ultra thin
IWC Ingeniuer (Titanium AMG)
IWC Ingeniuer vintage reissue
Omega Seamaster
2 x Omega Speedmaster Pro
Vintage Omega Flightmaster
A bunch of Breitlings, Sinns and Grand Seikos

Then I got married and had kids.

Current collection:
2 x Rolex Explorer (114270)
Rolex Explorer (1st gen 214270)
Omega Speedmaster Pro
Omega Seamaster mid-size
Vintage Omega PAF 2996 (Ranchera/Seamaster)
Smiths 29A
Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium
Ball Tranmaster Worldtimer
Brietling Aerospace
Grand Seiko JDM SBGT037 (9F83 day/date quartz)
A few other Seiko divers and misc dress watches

Current collection
Last edited by linnaxis on October 7th 2018, 10:40pm, edited 2 times in total.
linnaxis

Re: Salutations

Postby linnaxis » October 7th 2018, 5:40pm

I forgot a few Blancpains. There are kinda underwhelming to me.
linnaxis

Postby foghorn » October 7th 2018, 5:46pm

Hi and welcome!!

I think you're full of shit.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 7th 2018, 5:47pm

Some pictures might prove me wrong.

foghorn

Postby JAS1125 » October 7th 2018, 6:36pm

Welcome to the forum.

Your collection, both gone and current, is a WIS wet dream.

I'd like to see some pics as well.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby linnaxis » October 7th 2018, 8:28pm

Here’s a shitty Explorer(s) pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
linnaxis

Postby conjurer » October 7th 2018, 8:39pm

Welcome, goddam--

Hey, wait a minute... A Smiths 29A??
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby linnaxis » October 7th 2018, 9:57pm

Timefactors (Eddie Platts) bought the name and reissued them a few years ago. Simple and anti-mag to 50K A/m w NATO stock numbers. Movement is an ETA 2801.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
linnaxis

Postby conjurer » October 7th 2018, 10:27pm

What are your thoughts on the Smiths Everest? Consider well, because your future here hangs in the balance.

Otherwise, welcome, goddamn it!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby linnaxis » October 7th 2018, 11:04pm

I think Eddie makes a great value watch. I'm not a snob, that's for sure. I have 3 Explorers as keeping a 114270 to give to each of my kids (when they are both old enough to tell time and beyond the age where I think they'll sell it for beer or meth) helps me to rationalize my collection.
I like value watches (yes, I'm getting to an answer) and I like those who make/assemble them. Mech watches should be enjoyed by everyone so - I give the Everest approval. Steinhart's watches are generally based on Rolex designs but they are a great watch for the money. They are priced much closer to the actual cost of production. Rolex makes a really good, reliable watch but the price is not related in any way to the cost of manufacture + marketing + the expensive facilities + unique robotic equipment + blast furnace, etc.
I'm a huge Seiko fan. I even went to Seiko's museum in Tokyo (I lived there for a kinda long time). The SKX007/009 is great watch - total value proposition and I have a lot of budget Seikos. The 4R15 and 6R15 are great durable movements, not to mention the 7S26 (classic Japanese engineering - cheap and tough as nails). I used to collect and repair vintage Seiko 6309 divers.
linnaxis

Postby Thunder1 » October 8th 2018, 3:41am

Welcome to the asylum, sir..you will be assimilated..resistance is futile...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » October 8th 2018, 1:05pm

Welcome to WatchLords. Nice collection you have there.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 8th 2018, 8:20pm

Well, I hope you stay in this wee madhouse of ours for longer.

The Explorers are OK (save perhaps the 214270 with the idiotically short hands not reaching the markers), this particular Smiths is perhaps the nicest of all Timefactors' products (if it's the 36mm with hesalite), but I'd love to see that PAF-issued Omega, these things don't surface every day. The 2990 and 2996 (sub and sweep second, respectively) were both initially Seamasters, part of which has been produced as the Ranchero. IIRC, the Pakistani Air Force had it as Seamasters, the Rancheros were sold to the FAP (Fuerza Aerea del Peru), as the Ranchero was generally intended for the markets of the Americas (US, Canada, Mexico, and all the South American countries). But I might be wrong in terms of the correlation between the intended market and military issue watches... By Jove, I'm already giving a bloody lecture, I do that quite a lot, so I better end it at that. Why, once again, welcome.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » October 8th 2018, 8:53pm

Hidey-ho!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby linnaxis » October 9th 2018, 3:03am

I'll take some pics of the PAF Omega. I bought it in 2000 from Ken Trading in Ginza in Tokyo. The 286 movement is not right but was in it when I bought it. Anyway, I'll post some pics and you can make the call.
As for the Explorers, I actually like the short hands (t-rex) 214270. The new 214270 (2nd gen) is nothing more than a larger 114270 - not very interesting. Anyway, I don't wear them very much as I commute to work every day and in my profession a Rolex is a bad optic. I also hate the Rolex reacharound forums. Group back patting for buying a status symbol.
linnaxis

Postby foghorn » October 9th 2018, 4:15am

linnaxis wrote:I also hate the Rolex reacharound forums. Group back patting for buying a status symbol.

Hmmm.....maybe you're not full of shit after all.

foghorn

Postby linnaxis » October 9th 2018, 11:20am

I joined TimeZone back in 2000 when it was still owned by a watch retailer in Singapore and was more interesting. Over time it devolved into a brand marketing and horology c!rclejerk. Can't even get into a serious discussion/debate/argument/bar brawl. As a result I stoped posting years ago. Now I feel like I have a home again.
I'd call me full of shit, too. It's a good reason to get the watches out, take a pic and tell the story.
linnaxis

Postby koimaster » October 9th 2018, 11:32am

linnaxis wrote:I joined TimeZone back in 2000 when it was still owned by a watch retailer in Singapore and was more interesting. Over time it devolved into a brand marketing and horology c!rclejerk. Can't even get into a serious discussion/debate/argument/bar brawl. As a result I stoped posting years ago. Now I feel like I have a home again.
I'd call me full of shit, too. It's a good reason to get the watches out, take a pic and tell the story.

One thing about this place, almost 9 years ago the people you see in dark red founded a forum based on not having sponsors and being able to speak freely about watches and other topics without the fear of being banned. That premise has endured through a lot of adversity over the years. When the admin was ill several years ago the forum continued on without him. I do not know of another forum that could have done that.

People have heated arguments and people mourn our deceased members. Members here donate their own watches to generate funds to donate to charity such as the one we are running now. This time it is Shriner, in the past it has been St. Jude's, or Wounded Warrior, or Operation Homefront, the restoration of a B-17 or a animal shelter.

Members support the deep end of the pool or as some now long gone tv shills used to say, the cesspool. I think about those days with a bit of a smile since the "cesspool" is still here and the world of geeks and other forums have either disappeared from site or have become absorbed by magazines or vertical scope. We pride ourselves on being members of this forum, hopefully you might find that you will too.

Welcome to the forum.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » October 10th 2018, 2:06pm

That's a heck of a collection, and presented without a shred of guile or over-the-top mewling. I bet you've never even made a review video in a bathrobe for YouTube.

Welcome to the joint, sir.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby linnaxis » October 11th 2018, 11:28am

Thanks, man. I like what I like and that's all that it is. I sorta feel like someday I should act my age and buy an expensive dress watch...but who am I kidding? I had a boss in Tokyo who had an RM 009 (he owned a hedge fund) and I realized I would never wear one (nor afford one). It seemed like something to study in an engineering class, not wear on your wrist.
I usually get as much fun out of seeing others wear badass timepieces or just really loving what they are wearing regardless of cost or pedigree.
I generally wear an Explorer 114270 (I have one that's nice and scratched and lived in) or the Ball Worldtimer (I actually need to know what time it is in about 5 different timezones) or the Aerospace (it's feather light and always ready to go) or the Speedmaster (when I'm feeling like the technology nerd that I really am).

MK - btw, the Smiths above is the 36mm Hesalite version. Closer to the real thing.
linnaxis

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself