Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War

Postby koimaster » October 26th 2015, 4:19pm

by Stan Czubernat

Following on the heels of Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War (ISBN 978-0-7643-4711-5), Stan Czubernat has once again written an outstanding horological book, Waltham Trench Watches of the

Great War.

The Elgin Trench Watches book was the first to truly document American World War I trench watches. It is an outstanding piece of horological research, crammed with information, original advertisements, patents, and top-class photos, so I was very eager to get a copy of Czubernat’s new book. I was not disappointed; it is an awesome read, packed full of newly researched discoveries—just as a new book on horology should be.

For example, chapter 4, titled “The Depollier & Waltham Relationship,” reveals the truth about this relationship and how the Depollier hermetic watch evolved from the Ezra Fitch 1915-1916 patent screw-down crown to the 1917-1918 case style No. 3. This was probably the earliest military issued and serial marked wristwatch, as shown in one of Czubernat’s excellent photos.

http://watchnews.nawcc.org/waltham-watc ... t-war.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War

Postby Tzimisces » October 27th 2015, 4:32pm

Thanks for posting this. It led to the author's website, which is fascinating. I'm seeing a trench watch in my future.
http://www.lrfantiquewatches.com/
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jason_recliner » October 27th 2015, 7:43pm

Tzimisces wrote:Thanks for posting this. It led to the author's website, which is fascinating. I'm seeing a trench watch in my future.
http://www.lrfantiquewatches.com/

The lume is rubbish on those. They don't even offer a 55 mm model. And they're all old. Forget about it.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » October 28th 2015, 5:34am

Led to many good links.
Cheers
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » September 13th 2018, 3:52pm

8-)

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 13th 2018, 8:22pm

Aaaaarggghhhh, Stan and his trench watches. Obviously, a friend of a certain fraud and a certain faker (the latter even made the mistake of trying to troll this fine establishment). Not to mention that forgery he sold, allegedly a property of America's first flying ace, and in fact an ordinary watch with a fake engraving.

A most revolting character.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » September 13th 2018, 8:48pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Aaaaarggghhhh, Stan and his trench watches. Obviously, a friend of a certain fraud and a certain faker (the latter even made the mistake of trying to troll this fine establishment). Not to mention that forgery he sold, allegedly a property of America's first flying ace, and in fact an ordinary watch with a fake engraving.

Did I miss that guy?

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » September 13th 2018, 9:57pm

koimaster wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Aaaaarggghhhh, Stan and his trench watches. Obviously, a friend of a certain fraud and a certain faker (the latter even made the mistake of trying to troll this fine establishment). Not to mention that forgery he sold, allegedly a property of America's first flying ace, and in fact an ordinary watch with a fake engraving.

Did I miss that guy?

Yeah, I'm a little confused as well--which is nothing new, believe me. Anyway, some backstory might help, Mr. Bloke.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » September 14th 2018, 1:41am

A fairly long story, here is links to just two.
The first had lots of post deletions in the thread, mostly Stan being an arsehole, and me posting proof of his lies and nastiness.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... =Paul+baer

I was banned before I could reply to claims in this thread, again lies and nastiness.

http://vintagewatchforums.com/viewtopic ... =Paul+Baer

After his claims were debunked, he posted a 2,000 word blog, calling me names and asking who do you believe, a liar or a known expert on trench watches. I have screen grabs of the whole blog, which I sent to the admin of the NAWCC. Nothing was done about it, even though it broke several of their membership 'rules of conduct'.
Part of the blog, where he accused me of lying. There are about five or six more screen grabs in the same vein, all taken from his sales site before he removed the blog.

He also accused me of lying about finding certain adverts before he posted them. I posted the proof that he wanted on WUS, which was a screen grab of the advert showing the properties data that included the date of the advert being created in my database. He never apologised for this:

http://vintagewatchforums.com/viewtopic ... tch#p55394

Where he posted the ad in September.
And the advert in question with the properties showing date 'made' as August, of which I found three, using the search term 'depollier' and not 'Thermo watch' as Stan claimed. How can you search for a watch name you don't know, Stan didn't know it before finding the ads.

Last edited by bobbee on September 14th 2018, 2:28am, edited 1 time in total.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » September 14th 2018, 2:03am

To put it plainly, he is a liar who got caught out by me and other people several times. He likes to big himself up, and ingratiate himself with site owners and moderators. He even sent me threatening pm's on WTF, and when I reported it to moderators nothing was done, I didn't even get a response.
He sent pm's to multiple members on WTF asking them to contact the NAWCC and get Adam Harris banned because he got upset over a watch, I still have the screen grab of this somewhere. I suspect Stan did the same to me when he tried to get the Paul Baer watch verified on four sites, as I was banned from VWF & WTF while the argument over the watch was going on.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 14th 2018, 7:30am

Dang.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 15th 2018, 11:14am

koimaster wrote:

Did I miss that guy?

The one trying to troll the Lords? No, you didn't miss him, and if I remember correctly, you gave his profile a nice facelift. It was Accuslag.

As to Stan, I don't think he was ever here. Although frankly, I think it'd be fun if he would, as I didn't have a good punching bag since Bazinga!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Vintage Watches