The Watch Snob answers questions

The Watch Snob answers questions

Postby koimaster » September 3rd 2014, 3:52pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comment ... _snob_ama/

I am the Watch Snob. AMA (self.Watches)

submitted 5 days ago * by WatchSnobAMAVerified Identity

I will begin answering questions as of 1pm EDT. I will have to stop at around 5PM EST but will attempt to address any additional questions tomorrow.

NB 21:34 GMT, August 29th. You all have exhausted me; I have to beg off taking any more questions. Thank you all for a most interesting and vigorous discussion, an unexpected pleasure. Will attempt to answer all questions submitted to this point. --The Watch Snob
297 comments

top 200 commentsshow all 297

sorted by:
best

[–]theywantER 37 points 5 days ago

Firstly, thank you very much for doing this AMA. I have been an avid reader of your weekly column for about a year now and it brightens every Tuesday.

Here in /r/watches, we receive a lot of [Recommendation] threads. For example, "[Recommendation] Recommend me an every day beater under $300." Stuff like that. If you could recommend one watch for each of our buying guide categories, what would they be? I understand these categories may be significantly less than you're used to recommending for, but please, settle the debates once and for all!

Buying Guide categories:

$0-$250

$250-$500

$500-$1000

$1000-$2000

$2000-$5000

$5000-$10000

...and $10,000+

I understand this is a big question, and appreciate your response!

And they have a horology section

http://www.reddit.com/r/WatchHorology

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Watch Snob answers questions

Postby eddiea » September 3rd 2014, 4:38pm

Meh.....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » September 3rd 2014, 7:58pm

Say what you will about him, but fuck if he isn't entertaining. And once in a whilemore often than not, he's right on the money. I think his more annoying quirks are simply his shtick and gimmick.

I also share his sentiments on NATO straps:

I find the current vogue for NATO straps utterly bewildering --can there really be that many people persuaded to buy a nylon strap, on the strength of five seconds of footage in a crudely made film about a Scottish peasant turned spy? --but then again, I also remember being entranced by Dictaphones, wire-and-plug telephone switchboards, and the smell of purple mimeograph ink.

To each their own, but when I see people with beautiful, expensive watches worn on a cheap looking one piece, often brightly colored NATO, it completely undermines the aesthetic value of the watch. Sure, they're comfortable and practical for military use/diving. And one looks great on my Vostok Amphibia. But when I see a Submariner strangled by one of these cheesy looking things, unless the picture was taken from a war zone or the bottom of the Marianas Trench, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing. :lklklklklkl:
Last edited by SaoGage on September 3rd 2014, 9:14pm, edited 4 times in total.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » September 3rd 2014, 8:08pm

His love of the Seiko 5 pleases me.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » September 3rd 2014, 9:37pm

SaoGage wrote:Say what you will about him, but fuck if he isn't entertaining. And once in a whilemore often than not, he's right on the money. I think his more annoying quirks are simply his shtick and gimmick.

I also share his sentiments on NATO straps:

I find the current vogue for NATO straps utterly bewildering --can there really be that many people persuaded to buy a nylon strap, on the strength of five seconds of footage in a crudely made film about a Scottish peasant turned spy? --but then again, I also remember being entranced by Dictaphones, wire-and-plug telephone switchboards, and the smell of purple mimeograph ink.

To each their own, but when I see people with beautiful, expensive watches worn on a cheap looking one piece, often brightly colored NATO, it completely undermines the aesthetic value of the watch. Sure, they're comfortable and practical for military use/diving. And one looks great on my Vostok Amphibia. But when I see a Submariner strangled by one of these cheesy looking things, unless the picture was taken from a war zone or the bottom of the Marianas Trench, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing. :lklklklklkl:

Well said. NATOs make me fucking vomit.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 4th 2014, 3:42am

SaoGage wrote:To each their own, but when I see people with beautiful, expensive watches worn on a cheap looking one piece, often brightly colored NATO, it completely undermines the aesthetic value of the watch. Sure, they're comfortable and practical for military use/diving. And one looks great on my Vostok Amphibia. But when I see a Submariner strangled by one of these cheesy looking things, unless the picture was taken from a war zone or the bottom of the Marianas Trench, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing. :lklklklklkl:

I can tell you what is missing , as you so well said "To each their own" , statement that could potentially go a long way, when it comes down to alleviate the scratching and wondering about others choices.
Last edited by eddiea on September 4th 2014, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea

Postby codguy » September 4th 2014, 4:24am

conjurer wrote:NATOs make me fucking vomit.

Plus one ^

Image :laugh:
Last edited by codguy on September 4th 2014, 6:38am, edited 1 time in total.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Luftwafflles » September 4th 2014, 5:47am

Natos do suck. The only strap possibly worse is polyurethane. They both scream cheap, but at least a nato is comfortable.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » September 4th 2014, 7:08am

Leather NATOs are the bomb, haters.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby TemerityB » September 4th 2014, 7:28am

NATO? Sure, but only with Canada Dry Club Soda, thank you.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SaoGage » September 4th 2014, 7:39am

I guess the bonus being you can use a NATO as a cock-ring or ball gag if you're into that sort of thing. Especially the leather ones ;)
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » September 4th 2014, 7:42am

foghorn wrote:Leather NATOs are the bomb, haters.

Yeah, but that watch is so fucking sweet, nobody is paying much attention to the strap. Have to admit, a leather nato is a whole different animal.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » September 13th 2018, 3:51pm

ttt

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder