The Watch Snob answers questions

The Watch Snob answers questions

Postby koimaster » September 3rd 2014, 3:52pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comment ... _snob_ama/

I am the Watch Snob. AMA (self.Watches)

submitted 5 days ago * by WatchSnobAMAVerified Identity

I will begin answering questions as of 1pm EDT. I will have to stop at around 5PM EST but will attempt to address any additional questions tomorrow.

NB 21:34 GMT, August 29th. You all have exhausted me; I have to beg off taking any more questions. Thank you all for a most interesting and vigorous discussion, an unexpected pleasure. Will attempt to answer all questions submitted to this point. --The Watch Snob
297 comments

top 200 commentsshow all 297

sorted by:
best

[–]theywantER 37 points 5 days ago

Firstly, thank you very much for doing this AMA. I have been an avid reader of your weekly column for about a year now and it brightens every Tuesday.

Here in /r/watches, we receive a lot of [Recommendation] threads. For example, "[Recommendation] Recommend me an every day beater under $300." Stuff like that. If you could recommend one watch for each of our buying guide categories, what would they be? I understand these categories may be significantly less than you're used to recommending for, but please, settle the debates once and for all!

Buying Guide categories:

$0-$250

$250-$500

$500-$1000

$1000-$2000

$2000-$5000

$5000-$10000

...and $10,000+

I understand this is a big question, and appreciate your response!

And they have a horology section

http://www.reddit.com/r/WatchHorology

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Watch Snob answers questions

Postby eddiea » September 3rd 2014, 4:38pm

Meh.....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » September 3rd 2014, 7:58pm

Say what you will about him, but fuck if he isn't entertaining. And once in a whilemore often than not, he's right on the money. I think his more annoying quirks are simply his shtick and gimmick.

I also share his sentiments on NATO straps:

I find the current vogue for NATO straps utterly bewildering --can there really be that many people persuaded to buy a nylon strap, on the strength of five seconds of footage in a crudely made film about a Scottish peasant turned spy? --but then again, I also remember being entranced by Dictaphones, wire-and-plug telephone switchboards, and the smell of purple mimeograph ink.

To each their own, but when I see people with beautiful, expensive watches worn on a cheap looking one piece, often brightly colored NATO, it completely undermines the aesthetic value of the watch. Sure, they're comfortable and practical for military use/diving. And one looks great on my Vostok Amphibia. But when I see a Submariner strangled by one of these cheesy looking things, unless the picture was taken from a war zone or the bottom of the Marianas Trench, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing. :lklklklklkl:
Last edited by SaoGage on September 3rd 2014, 9:14pm, edited 4 times in total.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » September 3rd 2014, 8:08pm

His love of the Seiko 5 pleases me.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » September 3rd 2014, 9:37pm

SaoGage wrote:Say what you will about him, but fuck if he isn't entertaining. And once in a whilemore often than not, he's right on the money. I think his more annoying quirks are simply his shtick and gimmick.

I also share his sentiments on NATO straps:

I find the current vogue for NATO straps utterly bewildering --can there really be that many people persuaded to buy a nylon strap, on the strength of five seconds of footage in a crudely made film about a Scottish peasant turned spy? --but then again, I also remember being entranced by Dictaphones, wire-and-plug telephone switchboards, and the smell of purple mimeograph ink.

To each their own, but when I see people with beautiful, expensive watches worn on a cheap looking one piece, often brightly colored NATO, it completely undermines the aesthetic value of the watch. Sure, they're comfortable and practical for military use/diving. And one looks great on my Vostok Amphibia. But when I see a Submariner strangled by one of these cheesy looking things, unless the picture was taken from a war zone or the bottom of the Marianas Trench, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing. :lklklklklkl:

Well said. NATOs make me fucking vomit.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 4th 2014, 3:42am

SaoGage wrote:To each their own, but when I see people with beautiful, expensive watches worn on a cheap looking one piece, often brightly colored NATO, it completely undermines the aesthetic value of the watch. Sure, they're comfortable and practical for military use/diving. And one looks great on my Vostok Amphibia. But when I see a Submariner strangled by one of these cheesy looking things, unless the picture was taken from a war zone or the bottom of the Marianas Trench, I'm left scratching my head and wondering what I'm missing. :lklklklklkl:

I can tell you what is missing , as you so well said "To each their own" , statement that could potentially go a long way, when it comes down to alleviate the scratching and wondering about others choices.
Last edited by eddiea on September 4th 2014, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea

Postby codguy » September 4th 2014, 4:24am

conjurer wrote:NATOs make me fucking vomit.

Plus one ^

Image :laugh:
Last edited by codguy on September 4th 2014, 6:38am, edited 1 time in total.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Luftwafflles » September 4th 2014, 5:47am

Natos do suck. The only strap possibly worse is polyurethane. They both scream cheap, but at least a nato is comfortable.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » September 4th 2014, 7:08am

Leather NATOs are the bomb, haters.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby TemerityB » September 4th 2014, 7:28am

NATO? Sure, but only with Canada Dry Club Soda, thank you.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SaoGage » September 4th 2014, 7:39am

I guess the bonus being you can use a NATO as a cock-ring or ball gag if you're into that sort of thing. Especially the leather ones ;)
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » September 4th 2014, 7:42am

foghorn wrote:Leather NATOs are the bomb, haters.

Yeah, but that watch is so fucking sweet, nobody is paying much attention to the strap. Have to admit, a leather nato is a whole different animal.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » September 13th 2018, 3:51pm

ttt

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder