Piss lume?

Piss lume?

Postby Pubbie » August 28th 2018, 10:33am

I was looking today as some Oris, and I noticed most of the attractive, classical looking watches have piss-stained lume. What is it with this? Even Tissot does it. I just noticed that I've never owned a watch whose lume has been pissed in. Many of my present and past watches have terrible lume, some good, others none at all, but none are urinous. Yet a look at the jeweller's window makes it look like an Arabian pissoir.

Oris, Tissot - as above
JLC - yep, piss lume
Zenith - piss and mould together on one of them outstanding!
Omega - so brown they look like they've actually shat in theirs
Tudor - practically a defining characteristic for them these days
CWC - not sure. Could have been puke
Sinn - Jesus fuck no, why? The rest of the watch is a technological tour de force, and yet you take a slash on the dial to make it looks like something that absolutely, positively could never have existed any time before about 2006

Waiting now for Nomos to find a way to do it. My next question: what's going to happen when all this piss lume itself gets old? Will it turn to shit? Answers on a postcard please.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Piss lume?

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 28th 2018, 6:08pm

Pubbie wrote:JLC - yep, piss lume

Oh, come on. JLC gets it right.

Pubbie wrote:Zenith - piss and mould together on one of them outstanding!

Zenith doesn't get it right.

Pubbie wrote:Omega - so brown they look like they've actually shat in theirs

That would be the lume on the CK 2913 (Seamaster 300), 2914 (Railmaster) and 2915 (Speedmaster) reissues. The lume on the original ones, as well as on the CK 2998, actually did turn that colour with time.

Pubbie wrote:Tudor - practically a defining characteristic for them these days

Seen the Black Bays in person. The lume wasn't even close to faux-aged.

Pubbie wrote:Waiting now for Nomos to find a way to do it.

Better not. They haven't done a good job with anything lately.

Pubbie wrote:My next question: what's going to happen when all this piss lume itself gets old? Will it turn to shit?

LumiNova and Super-LumiNova seem not to really age. I don't think it's based on zinc sulphide anymore. Back in the day, radium, and then tritium, "recharged" the zinc sulphide base, and presumably the way the lume has aged had a lot to do with the presence of radioactive material. That said, in the contemporary stuff, the dial paint will age, but the currently used lumes might not necessarily change colour over the years. I can barely imagine a contemporary Speedmaster have its dial change to a "tropical" brown, and the lume on it staying as white as Richard Hammond's teeth.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » August 28th 2018, 8:44pm

"Old Radium" Superluminova makes me wish to vomit copiously. I fucking hate it. It is, actually, a total deal-killer for me. It looks stupid, it doesn't glow well (which, call me old fashioned, is what lume should do) and it looks fucking stupid and it makes me fucking puke.

Goddamn it.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » August 28th 2018, 9:48pm

For the best loom nothing beats the badass Seiko Monster. Well, maybe Timex Indiglo, but that shit ain't fair.
artman
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » August 28th 2018, 11:46pm

artman wrote:For the best loom nothing beats the badass Seiko Monster. Well, maybe Timex Indiglo, but that shit ain't fair.

Seiko rules with its 1980's-look green lume. That stuff lights an entire room at night.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby Pubbie » August 29th 2018, 3:50am

JLC does indeed get effluent lume right, but it's still brown and on a shiny new watch with thoroughly 2018 finishing, material and of course price. Actually on the Geophysic, it's a strong yellow indicative or chronic dehydration. Horse piss for course piss :D but just look at the contrast with the rose gold:

I was thinking of Tudor's modern, aircraft-grade titanium, hardcore, ceramic, parachrom, silicon, Rubber-strapped, adjustable, He valve-equipped Pelagos, with lume that introduced me to the term "yak piss". It's apparently the same shade as what they put on the various Black Bays, which is at least softened in that context. I just have no idea why they sprayed it on a watch from the future!

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:LumiNova and Super-LumiNova seem not to really age. I don't think it's based on zinc sulphide anymore. Back in the day, radium, and then tritium, "recharged" the zinc sulphide base, and presumably the way the lume has aged had a lot to do with the presence of radioactive material. That said, in the contemporary stuff, the dial paint will age, but the currently used lumes might not necessarily change colour over the years. I can barely imagine a contemporary Speedmaster have its dial change to a "tropical" brown, and the lume on it staying as white as Richard Hammond's teeth.

Very good !
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » August 29th 2018, 3:50am

artman wrote:For the best loom nothing beats the badass Seiko Monster. Well, maybe Timex Indiglo, but that shit ain't fair.

Is that the bad-ass Seiko Monster dive watch that's really popular on all the cool forums?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » August 29th 2018, 3:52am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Pubbie wrote:JLC - yep, piss lume

Oh, come on. JLC gets it right.

JLC lume makes me bilious
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby artman » August 29th 2018, 4:01am

Pubbie wrote:

Is that the bad-ass Seiko Monster dive watch that's really popular on all the cool forums?

Yes it is!
artman
Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » August 29th 2018, 4:42am

Hamilton has some watches with a “light” shit brown lume also. Never really understood why that was supposed to be appealing, especially because it usually signifies exceptionally weak lume performance as well.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » August 30th 2018, 3:53am

SaoGage wrote:Hamilton has some watches with a “light” shit brown lume also. Never really understood why that was supposed to be appealing, especially because it usually signifies exceptionally weak lume performance as well.

This is probably the worst - it's a bandwagon CWC needs to get off:

That's not lume, that's the brown icing sugar someone chipped off a Fox's Party Ring biscuit.

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 30th 2018, 2:34pm

bedlam wrote:

Seiko rules with its 1980's-look green lume. That stuff lights an entire room at night.

It most certainly does. I have a PADI solar diver and keep it under a lamp all day - the lume practically never fades.
(Unwraps gift) "What ... a Stuhrling Original ... Regatta? Because you heard me talking about dive watches? Oh ... you shouldn't have ..."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » August 31st 2018, 6:39am

I like the "vintage" luminescent look and could not care less about whether it stays lit or not.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk