Review: Sexy, Sleek, Over-Engineered–Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000

Review: Sexy, Sleek, Over-Engineered–Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000

Postby Racer-X » July 11th 2018, 1:43pm

"To many, G-Shocks are seen as robust ‘daily beaters’; inexpensive and mass produced, yet tough enough to survive the harshest of conditions. But they are much more: a symbol of Japanese engineering and industrialisation prowess; or simply over engineered tool watches.

What would come to mind when one thinks of 100% in-house manufactured timepieces? Probably something from Switzerland or Germany. While Europe is a traditional stronghold of the mechanical watch, Japan is a master of ubiquitous technical innovations. Solar. Quartz. Just to name a few. It also happens to be the birth place of the ‘unbreakable watch’, a.k.a Casio G-Shock – something that perhaps only the Japanese can pull off."

https://deployant.com/review-casio-g-shock-full-metal-gmw-b5000d/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Review: Sexy, Sleek, Over-Engineered–Casio G-Shock GMW-B

Postby artman » July 11th 2018, 3:15pm

Love this watch. Saw it in Macy's last month, it looked great and felt awesome on the wrist, but passed because the price tag was $600. I went back a week later and they were all sold out. Now the sticker is $799? Yikes.
artman
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2018, 3:19pm

An eight hundred dollar Gee? Infamy!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » July 11th 2018, 3:31pm

Seriously, I'm struggling with this conundrum. Gshocks are awesome at a hundred bucks, but are they worth $600 or even $800?? How or can you justify the additional expense, just because it's shiny and new?
artman
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2018, 3:35pm

artman wrote:Seriously, I'm struggling with this conundrum. Gshocks are awesome at a hundred bucks, but are they worth $600 or even $800?? How or can you justify the additional expense, just because it's shiny and new?

Quite so. One of the wonderful things about a Gee (at least, a real, plastic one) is that you can beat the living shit out of it, wearing it like you drive a rental car, and they only keep looking better--all the scars add up, and when a broad sees 'em, she'll think you're a Man of Action (like a guy who takes half-nude selfies at work) and down come the panties. This one? After a couple of months, it'll look worse than Truman Capote's ass the week after the fleet comes in.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » July 11th 2018, 3:40pm

artman wrote:Seriously, I'm struggling with this conundrum. Gshocks are awesome at a hundred bucks, but are they worth $600 or even $800?? How or can you justify the additional expense, just because it's shiny and new?

Two werdz

BluEtooTh

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » July 11th 2018, 3:52pm

Teh InternetZ.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » July 11th 2018, 4:37pm

foghorn wrote:

Two werdz

BluEtooTh

I know! Everything's better with Bluetooth!!
artman
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 11th 2018, 4:40pm

Cool watch. Worth nowhere near the asking price. Fan bois will eat it up.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Pubbie » July 12th 2018, 2:55am

biglove wrote:Cool watch. Worth nowhere near the asking price. Fan bois will eat it up.

Interest-free credit helps too. I see this watch was $500 before, now Casio has rammed up the price.

Apparently you can only get one if you have coloured hair, are easily triggered by perceived (not necessarily actual) social injustice, spend your entire life on social media, live near a G-Shock store, preferably have an Instagram-friendly entourage wearing Doc Martens and alternative clothing, and don't pay rent.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to G-Shock